Episode 30

RSS

After a lengthy, spoiler-filled discussion about "The End of Time," Dan and Mike answer e-mails (plural) about the proposed connection between The War Chief and The Master, and then finally settle into the topic of the episode: "Spearhead from Space," Jon Pertwee's first outing as The Doctor. (If you'd like to skip past "The End of Time" conversation, it takes place between 1:36 and 36:17.) [ 1:19:06 || 36.2 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_030.mp3

Great episode as usual...I've edited this to put my comments about The End of Time and the S5 trailer under a spoiler cut

regarding the mysterious woman, the upcoming second edition of "the Writer's Tale" (which based on the first edition I hugely recommend) reveals that RTD did intend her to be the Doctor's mother, and that was what the actress was told she was playing. Of course as it wasn't said onscreen, it's still valid to think whatever you like.

I think the rumoured villains were in the trailer, but they've been redesigned...they're the lizard looking creatures (one is holding a gun which is very like the guns the Sea Devils use).

Spearhead is a good story...it's filmed totally differently from the rest of the series (due to a strike, it had to be filmed completely on film). I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the Pertwee Era, but this is a very good start.

They use the "Wizard of Oz" b&w switching to colour effect in the Two Doctors, when they start with the Second Doctor in black and white and fade the scene into colour.

In light of the Kung Fu Rod Stewart era beginning, don't forget to start a "reverse the polarity" count.

or even a "Pertwee giving the moralising speech at the end of the story" count.

If we turned that into a drinking game, Mike and I would be dead of alcohol poisoning before the end of the season.

In light of the Kung Fu Rod Stewart era beginning, don't forget to start a "reverse the polarity" count.

or even a "Pertwee giving the moralising speech at the end of the story" count.

If we turned that into a drinking game, Mike and I would be dead of alcohol poisoning before the end of the season.

Really? I thought adding that kind of structure to Mike's drinking habits might go a long way towards keeping his liver intact.