Brightest Day

Missy

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus! How many different rings can Hal wear? Not only is he a Green Lantern, he's worn White, Blue, Orange, and Red rings. And now this? Either have him change teams, or quit with the teases.

That honestly doesn't bother me. The other times (the ones you listed) were all very purposely temporary, and just there to illustrate the differences between the various Corps by viewing their effect on the same person. The Sinestro Corps makes a lot more sense than any of the others, though, because he's got a connection with Parallax.

Jesus! How many different rings can Hal wear? Not only is he a Green Lantern, he's worn White, Blue, Orange, and Red rings. And now this? Either have him change teams, or quit with the teases.

Actually, he used a yellow one back during Sinestro Corps wars. Doesn't wear the costume then but still. I think the only reason he hasn't worn an Indigo or Violet ring yet are that the opportunity hasn't arisen yet. That said, there's a storyline reason for wearing the yellow ring since I believe Hal has the other New Guardians rings at this moment and if he can't use his ring, might use the one that is the safest (Red would give him that burning blood thing, Orange is addictive, Blue would be a little less than effective with no green ring, Indigo might involve some weird hive mind thing [they still haven't established what's wrong with the Indigo rings], and I'm not even sure a guy can use the Violet rings.

So to spoil the end of Brightest Day:

The boomerang Captain Boomerang was to throw was for Deadman to take. That way, Deadman would die, and Alec Holland could come back to life, and take back over Swamp Thing. Who thinks he is Nekron. This sort of harkens back to when Swamp Thing used to think he was Alec Holland.

Swamp Thing and Alec Holland are now one.

Hawkwoman is now dead. She never came back from the wind affair, but Hawkman did.

Firestorm now has 90 days before they explode and die.

Hawk did not successfully complete his mission, Hawk calls bullshit, and the lantern tells him to fuck off. The lantern explains what others people's roles were in the grand scheme of things, which sounds fake and forced, and then says Hawk will continue to be a force for war, and the lantern makes it's excuses and leaves.

Aquaman says the new Aqualad will be working with the Teen Titans now.

Deadman is back to where he started before the series began. Although, he told Dove that he loved her, and for some reason she heard that. When Deadman told the lantern that what it had done to him wasn't fair, the lantern just told him it was tough, and to deal with it. And he would be staying Deadman now. Pretty much fucking him over, as he is stuck where he started from. He is neither alive, or dead, he is just there.

Swamp Thing just killed a bunch of high and mighty businessmen who were destroying the enviroment and the man drafted in to save the day was John Constantine.

The series just completely fell apart. And is almost night and day from what it started as. Shame really, as I was enjoying it before it went to shit.

Justice League: Generation Lost:

Maxwell Lord's powers were used against him, and now everyone remembers Max, who makes his escape and comes out in public bringing up the very real point "I'm a human being. Superman can come back from the dead, but I'm just a human. This is crazy talk. The JLI are heroes. Whoever this imposter of me was, he was the one who was killed on live television..." and Booster Gold tells Batman that they failed, and Max has won. Batman smirks and says it is not over yet, and shows Booster his next big idea:

Bringing back Justice League International.

We are then told to wait for the new monthly book featuring the JLI.

So, that is the end of Brightest Day. The aftermath thing is going to kick in soon, but I just don't care enough to read it. So, I'm going to wait for some reviews of the issues before I take the time to look at them myself. All in all, Brightest Day as a whole was a letdown.

Oh boy, where do I start with my rebuttal...

Brightest Day:

First off, I enjoyed how the series ended. Just like most of DC's weekly comics, the story gets tied up but the character's have new threads. Boston Brand is Deadman again but I would have disappointed if he was just Normal Man again. Unto Hawkgirl. While I personally wish it had been the other way around, Hawkgirl is not totally dead. We get more than a hint that she still exists in the winds. Hawk, yeah, he kinda gets screwed but then, his task was to stop the boomerang so sucks to be him I guess? Also, I like the Firestorm teaser.

Really, my one complaint is that Swamp Thing does come from out of nowhere. It could have used a bit more hinting. Oh well. That said,

Generaton Lost:

Is Max brought to Justice? No but he's stopped for now and he's doing what he does best: being a scheming sleezeball. He has been since the 80s. He's also taking advantage of the fact that the public at large never really knew what his MO was and getting goodwill. Personally, I'm looking forward to Justice League International. The main goal of the book seems to have been team building for the ongoing which I didn't mind. The ride was awesome along the way.

Re Brightest Day

It just seemed like there was no real reason for any of it. The White Lantern was just being a dick throughout, screwing with people and setting up a hugely unnecessarily complex plan just to raise Alec Holland, when it was never clear why he couldn't just bring him back instead of the dozen others. So in the end all we get is Boston Brand turning into someone we like and then getting turned back into who he was before, we get Hawkgirl's second effective death since Blackest Night (it takes balls to kill two Hawkgirl's that close together) and we're what, supposed to not be pissed about this because Swamp Thing and John Constantine are back in the mainstream? It's not like I've missed them, Swamp thing's been popping up for years, and Hellblazer has been constantly running anyway.

Really disappointed by the lack of long-term direction and plotting throughout this series.