Birds of Prey returns in 2010

Missy

You’ve read about BRIGHTEST DAY and the titles that will be waving the banner starting in April, like THE FLASH, TITANS, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA and the just announced GENERATION LOST. But that’s not all.

Starting this Spring, writer Gail Simone and artist Ed Benes will reunite to launch a new BIRDS OF PREY series. As many of you can recall, Benes first made a splash in the DCU when he paired with Simone on the original series. And guess what? He’s gotten better. Check out the artwork above if you’ve got even half a doubt.

But Alex, what’s this new incarnation have in store for fans, you ask? We can’t tell you, but maybe Simone will. Here’s a snippet from her first interview about the gig:

“I am really excited and I missed those characters terribly. I miss almost every book I’ve ever written, but the Birds have a special place in my heart and brain.”

For more from Gail, head over to AOL’s COMICS ALLIANCE blog for a full interview on the new series.

bop_01cover600cmyk-7-sm.jpg

Source

Not to sound too sexist, but Black Canary's outfit was better a couple of years back when Benes was first drawing her. These days its sort of gone retro, they tend to draw it cut much higher on the hip like a bathing suit. I'm not a fan of this look, its the same as Madonna has in her videos and I just think it looks old-fashioned and odd.

Although don't get me wrong, I am excited for this. The original run was great, it just sort of lost momentum the more characters got added on. Hopefully they can keep the cast relatively small. Personally I'd rather keep it to Babs, Huntress and Black Canary, with Lady Blackhawk popping every so often. BoP lost me when it became the DC female heroes social club. Just seemed very patronising that they felt they even needed that sort of group, where the only qualifying parameter was XX chromasones.

Although I'm happy about this, as I got to BOP late, and really liked it, and was sad to see it go, I have some questions:

Will this explain where the fuck misfit has been?

Where Lady Blackhawk has been?

What will happen to Batgirl now, as Oracle is the supporting character in that book.

Also, I just thought of this, do you think this is DC's way of making Simone happy and forget about what James Robinson did in cry for justice? Which she was reportedly, really pissed about.

What was she supposedly pissed about?

What Ollie said about Hal having a three way with Huntress and Lady Blackhawk one night in JL:CFJ #2. I can't back it up with facts, so that's just a rumour.

It really was cheap. Simone gave Huntress a whole long storyline about how she was going to stop sleeping with every guy she met. It killed that "character development". Honestly, I enjoyed the book and all but lets not pretend that Simone didn't basically admit to Huntress being the DC Universes bicycle. That cover even has Huntress back in her skin-revealing costume, presumably at Simones request.

My money is on the shadow figures being Batwoman/Batgirl, hopefully Batgirl to keep that story running, and maybe Creote or Bane as the big hulking guy.

The hulking silhouette (Creote maybe?) I don't know but the floating one is either Batwoman, Batgirl, Misfit, or Dove. I doubt it'll be Batwoman if she's getting her own ongoing later this year and I don't know why they would black out Misfit. If Batgirl is getting canceled, I would bet on her but otherwise, I think it's going to be Dove, blacked out because of her connection to Blackest Night and since this is debuting under the "Brightest Day" banner, it would make sense to use one of the major players from the previous events.

The hulking silhouette (Creote maybe?) I don't know but the floating one is either Batwoman, Batgirl, Misfit, or Dove. I doubt it'll be Batwoman if she's getting her own ongoing later this year and I don't know why they would black out Misfit. If Batgirl is getting canceled, I would bet on her but otherwise, I think it's going to be Dove, blacked out because of her connection to Blackest Night and since this is debuting under the "Brightest Day" banner, it would make sense to use one of the major players from the previous events.

My only problem with it being Dove is that if she plays a major role in resolving Blackest Night, isn't it a bit of a waste to shove her in a book where she'll just be a minor player on an unofficial part time team? They could at least put her in the Justice League or something.

Damian is going to be pissed when he has to buff that out.

Heh, what they don't know is that Damien set the whole thing up, he's the one in the car behind the darkened windows having a whale of a time. Dick's on the other side of Gotham, hasn't got a clue what's going on. Alfred led him astray, sent him on a false lead on the proviso that he got to ride shotgun.

Damian is going to be pissed when he has to buff that out.

Heh, what they don't know is that Damien set the whole thing up, he's the one in the car behind the darkened windows having a whale of a time. Dick's on the other side of Gotham, hasn't got a clue what's going on. Alfred led him astray, sent him on a false lead on the proviso that he got to ride shotgun.

You actually made that lead right into the end of R.I.P with Damien and Alfred in the Batmobile, and Damien is driving. Is that you Grant Morrison! What have you done to Stavros!?

• 2 months later...