Teen Titans: Games Is A Go

Koete

At long last, "Teen Titans: Games" is a go. Announced today as part of DC Comics' week long "DCU in 2010" marketing campaign, the highly-anticipated graphic novel from the original "New Teen Titans" creative team of writer Marv Wolfman and artist George Pérez will be arriving in the marketplace by year's end.

Originally conceived in the mid-eighties, the 120-page project has been announced and delayed several times over the past 25 years, but it appears that the superstars (and Starfire) have aligned and Wolfman and Pérez will be returning to the Teen Titans and revisiting the team at a time where their popularity was paramount.

The legendary Wolfman/Pérez run on "The New Teen Titans" began when the book launched in November, 1980. Shortly thereafter, it arguably became DC's most popular title. The then-new team of teens and prominent sidekicks featured Robin (Dick Grayson), Wonder Girl (Donna Troy), Kid Flash (Wally West), Changeling (a re-imagined Beast Boy from "Doom Patrol") and three new superheroes: Cyborg, Starfire and Raven.

Interview With Marv Wolfman

• 2 months later...
23540378449492335326152.jpg

Sometime back in 1986 Titans co-creator, George Pérez and I began what would be the longest project of our careers: TITANS: GAMES. Conceived back then as a 120-page hard-cover graphic novel. we started work on the book. George decided he wanted to do something very special with it and drew the original art twice up, the way they did back in the 1940s - 1960s before they decided to cut the original art size down to 1 1/2 up instead. George drew 70 or so pages and the art was beyond incredible. You can read all about that version of GAMES here: GAMES: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL

Now Im here to tell you that after 23 years George and I are finally finishing this long sought-after graphic novel. George and I have been rethinking and reworking the story and in fact a few weeks ago at Megacon in Orlando, FL. we sat down face-to-face as we used to. To make things even better, artist Mike Perkins, who is inking the book, joined us as we re-plotted, tweaked and otherwise played games with GAMES. And you will be able to see the results this coming Christmas season. Its gonna be good.

Source

• 4 months later...

From George Perez's Facebook page:

As many of you have already learned, The TEEN TTANS: GAMES graphic novel has been taken off the November release schedule and will be re-solicited. The fault is entirely mine. I'm afraid that a confluence of events, including my worsening eyesight which prompted the ongoing surgical procedures that I've already covered here and the bad timing of committing to LEGACIES before I knew that GAMES' deadlines had been compromised. With LEGACIES being an ongoing series, as opposed to GAMES being a one-shot, it was determined that the monthly series had to be prioritized since my involvement with that series had already been publicized.

Due to some attendant light sensitivity issues, my ability to stare at a white sheet lit by studio lamps was definitely getting a bit difficult, which is one of the reasons I switched to inking Jerry Ordway for Issue 6. Oddly enough, looking at pages already grayed by pencils was easier on my orbs than starting with a clean white page.

In all likelihood, I will still have several surgeries to get through and, according to my doctor, the prognosis is good. I will be returning to GAMES after I finish LEGACIES and will progress as best as I can in between surgical procedures. After I finish that long, long, long delayed book, I will request to be used primarily as an inker for the following year (with the exception of some covers or pin-ups here and there) until my eyesight is normal (or at least stabilized). After that, I intend to kick some serious comic art butt!

I sincerely apologize to all of you who are now disappointed, yet again with the continuous delays on this decades-old project. I particularly want to apologize to my friend and TITANS cohort Marv Wolfman who's shown the patience of a saint throughout all this, even during times when I was too overwhelmed to return his calls.

I have about 25 pages left to draw and I'm hoping that, when the book is finally re-solicited (and it will be!) that it will be at least a tiny bit worth the long wait.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

• 1 year later...