Star Wars in 3-D

George Lucas: ‘Avatar’s’ Technology Could Make 3-D ‘Star Wars’ A Reality

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

George Lucas has yet to work in the new 3-D technology that is sweeping Hollywood, but the director told Access Hollywood that the success and achievements of “Avatar” could help bring “Star Wars” into the third dimension.

“I liked it. I make movies like that, [so], I can appreciate what [James Cameron] went through to do it,” George Lucas told Access Hollywood at the HBO Golden Globes party on Sunday.

”[i’m] happy it’s so successful, and worked very well in 3-D,” he continued. “Haven’t been a big fan of 3-D, but that movie definitely improves in (the field of) 3-D.”

George was so impressed with the movie’s technology – which took home the trophy for Best Motion Picture – Drama at the 2010 Globes – that he thinks it could help pave the way for creating 3-D versions of his “Star Wars” movies.

“We’ve been looking for years and years and years of trying to take ‘Star Wars’ and put it in 3-D,” George explained to Access. “But, [the] technology hasn’t been there. We’ve been struggling with it, but I think this will be a new impetus to make that happen.”

First up, George is writing and producing “Red Tails,” about the Tuskegee Airmen, the first African-American pilots to fly in a combat squadron during World War II.

Source

George Lucas once again forces his battered, numb and abused child to spread its legs for money. Shouldn't somebody have stepped in by now, this is just beyond sick. She's 32 years old, and has a brood of incestuous children by this bearded bastard. If movies were father figures George Lucas would be Josef Fritzel.

George Lucas once again forces his battered, numb and abused child to spread its legs for money. Shouldn't somebody have stepped in by now, this is just beyond sick. She's 32 years old, and has a brood of incestuous children by this bearded bastard. If movies were father figures George Lucas would be Josef Fritzel.

That is perhaps the sickest and most awesome thing I've heard all day.

Come on, how many new coats of paint is he going to slap on the old girl in order to sell her again? The only version I'm interested in seeing is the original minus cgi effects. Maybe they can digitally clean up the images and audio, but that's all I need. I'm fine with removing the black lines in the cockpit scenes. I don't want Han stepping on Jabbas tail and I don't want Hayden Christensen's face at the end of Return of the Jedi. Can't we just see the originals again? I don't want to see the Godfather or the Shawshank redemption in 3-D, why the hell would I want to see Star Wars like that?

Come on, how many new coats of paint is he going to slap on the old girl in order to sell her again? The only version I'm interested in seeing is the original minus cgi effects. Maybe they can digitally clean up the images and audio, but that's all I need. I'm fine with removing the black lines in the cockpit scenes. I don't want Han stepping on Jabbas tail and I don't want Hayden Christensen's face at the end of Return of the Jedi. Can't we just see the originals again? I don't want to see the Godfather or the Shawshank redemption in 3-D, why the hell would I want to see Star Wars like that?

The problem with your examples is that they're movies that wouldn't work in 3-D because they're mainly dramas. Films with impressive visuals work best in the format so that's why Star Wars would work. Besides, if this is what needs to happen to get the trilogy on Blu-ray, I do not mind by any extent.

The problem with your examples is that they're movies that wouldn't work in 3-D because they're mainly dramas. Films with impressive visuals work best in the format so that's why Star Wars would work. Besides, if this is what needs to happen to get the trilogy on Blu-ray, I do not mind by any extent.

But I still object on the same grounds. You wouldn't do any of this to those other classics, don't do it to Star Wars just because its science fiction. And yes I don't have to watch it, but I do have to put up with another version of a film come out instead of the only version I think is worth seeing.

Besides, I've still yet to see a film be improved overall with the addition of 3-D, and I saw both Up and Avatar in each format. Up in particular was superior in 2-D. 3-D's small upgrade doesn't make up for the colour shift it requires to work.

And yes I don't have to watch it, but I do have to put up with another version of a film come out instead of the only version I think is worth seeing.

Really? You think having the Jabba scene in A New Hope ruins the ENTIRE movie? You think Christensen RUINS Return of the Jedi?

Just go watch the DVDs of the original films, then.

Personally, I prefer the special edition cuts, and I'm more than happy to see them in 3-D.

And yes I don't have to watch it, but I do have to put up with another version of a film come out instead of the only version I think is worth seeing.

Really? You think having the Jabba scene in A New Hope ruins the ENTIRE movie? You think Christensen RUINS Return of the Jedi?

Just go watch the DVDs of the original films, then.

You can't get DVD's of the originals, all I'd be able to get it a recorded VHS or a low quality digital file. I don't object to the films being placed on a high-quality format and cleaned up so they look great again, its just they didn't leave it there when the put the trilogy on disc.

Throwing in a hundred things that don't belong in Mos Eisley makes it look shit, because its completely at odds with the cinematic styling of the films. Throw that stuff in the prequels its fine, its consistent with the style. Putting that stuff in the original films looks completely wrong. And yes, Han stepping on Jabba is the most retarded thing I've seen in a film, Jabba is an intergalactic gangster who has put on bounty on Han's head, there is no way that makes sense. That scene is only there to make us say "Wow, extra scene in Star Wars", otherwise it's of no value. There are a dozen things throughout the Special Editions that look crap. There are some I don't mind, for example the colour-matching effect on Bespin is nicely done. Its just when they start inserting cgi models into the frame that I get really annoyed because it looks totally out of place.

No these things don't totally ruin a film, but I get annoyed that Star Wars has all this shit done to it when no other film series does. If you replaced all the ship battles and creature effects in Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn and then took away all the originals I and a lot of other people would be pissed, because the originals were great in their own way. If someone took an original Ray Harryhausen film and replaced all the stopmotion creatures with CGI no-one would stand for it. Why do we have to put up with it for Star Wars? Its simple really, George Lucas is a whore and he'll do anything to those films to squeeze more money out of them.

You know, I'm suprised it took him this long.

Still, might mean Lucas will release Blu-Ray versions of the good trilogy.

That would imply that George Lucas would (a) listen to fans and (b) admit he was wrong.

What do you mean, admit he was wrong. Also, Lucas probably only listens to the sounds of the money in peoples wallets.

You can't get DVD's of the originals,

Yes you can. The individual DVDs of the films (not the silver/gold box set) all come with both the new and old versions of the films on separate disks. Episode IV doesn't even have the "A New Hope" title; it's exactly the same as the 1977 theatrical version.

This box set has both versions of all three films.

They didn't upgrade the video quality like the Special Editions, but they're still better than the VHS tapes.

You can't get DVD's of the originals,

Yes you can. The individual DVDs of the films (not the silver/gold box set) all come with both the new and old versions of the films on separate disks. Episode IV doesn't even have the "A New Hope" title; it's exactly the same as the 1977 theatrical version.

This box set has both versions of all three films.

They didn't upgrade the video quality like the Special Editions, but they're still better than the VHS tapes.

Really? Fuck. Might have to investigate this, although making people buy them individually in itself seems like a huge marketing con. Just like I feel sorry for the people who bought the VHS special editions when the later DVD special editions are reupdated yet again. I've already got the silver boxed set, which presents problems because yes I want the originals, but I don't need multiple copies of each film. On the other hand my boxed set is signed by David Prowse so I don't want to get rid of that. Frankly I don't feel like giving Lucas any more money. Maybe I'll stick them on a gift list for my birthday or christmas.

I've already got the silver boxed set, which presents problems because yes I want the originals, but I don't need multiple copies of each film... Maybe I'll stick them on a gift list for my birthday or christmas.

Yeah, that's where I am right now. I want the originals (because although I like Temuera Morrison's accent, the original Boba Fett's voice is WAY more badass), but I don't feel like buying them again. The new box set has them all for only about $20 online, though, so I might grab that.

I do like the newer effects, though. The few shots they added to the Battle of Yavin are pretty sweet. And the color-correction on the new DVDs is masterful (even if it completely ruined some of the lightsaber effects).