The Amazing Spider-Man

JackFetch

Marc Webb, the director of the Golden Globe-nominated Best Picture (500) Days of Summer, will direct the next chapter in the Spider-Man franchise, set to hit theaters summer 2012, it was jointly announced today by Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios.

Written by James Vanderbilt, Webb will work closely with producers Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin in developing the project, which will begin production later this year.

Commenting on the announcement, Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, said, "At its core, Spider-Man is a small, intimate human story about an everyday teenager that takes place in an epic super-human world. The key for us as we sought a new director was to identify filmmakers who could give sharp focus to Peter Parker's life. We wanted someone who could capture the awe of being in Peter's shoes so the audience could experience his sense of discovery while giving real heart to the emotion, anxiety, and recklessness of that age and coupling all of that with the adrenaline of Spider-Man's adventure. We believe Marc Webb is the perfect choice to bring us on that journey."

Arad and Ziskin added jointly, "Over the years, the Spider-Man comics have been told with bold and creative new writers and artists who have re-calibrated the way audiences see Peter Parker. Marc Webb will do for the new direction of the films what so many visionary storytellers have done with the comic books. He is an incredibly talented filmmaker and we look forward to working closely with him on this new adventure."

Webb said, "This is a dream come true and I couldn't be more aware of the challenge, responsibility, or opportunity. Sam Raimi's virtuoso rendering of Spider-Man is a humbling precedent to follow and build upon. The first three films are beloved for good reason. But I think the Spider-Man mythology transcends not only generations but directors as well. I am signing on not to 'take over' from Sam. That would be impossible. Not to mention arrogant. I'm here because there's an opportunity for ideas, stories, and histories that will add a new dimension, canvas, and creative voice to Spider-Man."

Stan Lee, co-creator of Spider-Man, added, "I'm excited that Sony has chosen a director with a real penchant and understanding for the character. This is a brave, bold direction for the franchise, and I can't wait to see what Marc comes up with next."

Added Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, "The idea of re-imagining the on-screen story for one of the world's most iconic superheros is sure to deliver an exciting new dimension to Spider-Man fans everywhere. There are volumes of comics and material available to inspire fresh and compelling takes on Peter Parker and his journey as Spidey and we look forward to seeing this come alive onscreen."

Marc Webb has won acclaim with his film debut (500) Days of Summer. He has several MTV VMAs including 2009's Best Director award for Green Day's "21 Guns," 2006 Best Rock Video for AFI's "Miss Murder," and Best Group Video for The All-American Rejects' "Move Along." The Music Video Production Association honored him in 2006 as the Director of the Year for his work with Weezer, AAR, and My Chemical Romance.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=8998

They are moving on this quickly.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"At its core, Spider-Man is a small, intimate human story about an everyday teenager that takes place in an epic super-human world. The key for us as we sought a new director was to identify filmmakers who could give sharp focus to Peter Parker's life. We wanted someone who could capture the awe of being in Peter's shoes so the audience could experience his sense of discovery while giving real heart to the emotion, anxiety, and recklessness of that age and coupling all of that with the adrenaline of Spider-Man's adventure. We believe Marc Webb is the perfect choice to bring us on that journey."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=8998

They are moving on this quickly.

*cough* Twilight *cough*

Hiring a rom-com director does not fill me with confidence. Yeah, 500 Days was cute, but it...

Webb, who has options on two sequels, will now tackle a Jamie Vanderbilt script that sees a “Spider-Man” movie that will look and feel very different from the big movies that went before it.

The plan for the movie is to be in the $80 million range and feature a cast of relative unknowns (so you can quash those Rob Pattinson or Gordon-Levitt rumors at this point). And the story will be pared down to center on a high school kid who is dealing with the knowledge that his uncle died even though the teen had the power to stop it.

The touchstone for the new movie will not be the 1960s comics, which were the inspiration behind the movies by Raimi, who grew on up on them, but rather this past decade’s “Ultimate Spider-Man” comics by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley where the villain-fighting took a back seat to the high school angst.

http://riskybusiness.blogs.thr.com/2010/01/spider-man-reboot-gets-director-marc-webb-of-500-days-of-summer.html

80 million? I know that all the super-bloated budgets (mostly due to paying the superstar actors and director, Terminator 2, once you sliced off Arnie and Cameron's paychecks, only cost 64 million to actually make) are making it sound dirt cheap, but 80 million.

Then again, Sherlock Holmes had an announced budget of 90 million.

District 9 had a 30 million dollar budget. Just sayin'

It's just that, after hearing that SM3 cost something like 250 million, and Avatar cost about 500 million, and this summer block buster cast 175 million and that 190 million, to hear 80 million is like... "Huh?"

I know it's still a lot of money, but the financial waste that has set a precedent just made me blink and shake my head.

$80 million sounds sensible. Bear in mind that the cost involved in creating good digital effects is always lowering, and if they are looking to avoid paying inflated fees for big names then I think their budget is reasonable. The original films wouldn't cost nearly as much and would look better if they were done now. Plus a budget breeds creativity. Problems you can throw money at aren't being solved with attention to detail and hard work.

The touchstone for the new movie will not be the 1960s comics, which were the inspiration behind the movies by Raimi, who grew on up on them, but rather this past decade’s “Ultimate Spider-Man” comics by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley where the villain-fighting took a back seat to the high school angst.

HELL

YES!

:D:D :D

And I agree about the budget. At the very least, this will mean that they'll have to focus on non-costume moments, which should be really nice.

A $80 Million budget on a movie is pretty good. It means that you're not getting any huge actors for it.The villain, whoever it it is, will probably be a lower tier star, a character actor. Spidey and his friends will also be in the lower echelon of actors, probably unknowns for side characters like Flash or Liz Allen, Peter and Mary Jane might be known but it's not necessary. They'll be relying on the brand selling the movie, not the actors. There will not be many night scenes and they'll probably avoid shooting in any of the big NYC landmarks. The music will also probably be done by an unknown or they'll court unknown artists to provide the soundtrack. Really, visual effects are going to be what kills them. Spider-Man 2 alone cost 65 Million in visual effects. Nothing like the huge sun ball. Probably just going to be used for the opening credits, about three big action scenes, and that's it. Still, if they can pull it off without going over budget, I'll be surprised and happy.

A $80 Million budget on a movie is pretty good. It means that you're not getting any huge actors for it.The villain, whoever it it is, will probably be a lower tier star, a character actor.

I nominate Mark Strong, who henceforth will replace Alan Rickman as the most fan-requested villain in movies. Not that he's better than Rickman, but complaining about that would be like going to a magic show and complaining "He's not as good as Jesus".

I think the first Spidey movie is definitely adapted from USM. There's no doubt.

Initially yes, but he's out of high school within the first 30 minutes so its not that close overall. Hopefully this way they'll be able to draw out the high school experience. Thanks to USM my personal definitive Spidey is a 15/16 year old kid in a world of deadly serious adult heroes anyway. That's why he works so well with all the other Ultimate Teen heroes like the X-men and FF, he's the one that proved they could achieve a great deal based on their own merit, instead of just being part of a team and having adult supervision. That's why so many of them look up to him.

• 2 weeks later...
Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief star Logan Lerman revealed to Access Hollywood that he is in early talks with Sony Pictures to play Peter Parker in the Spider-Man reboot.

"There have been a few discussions, it's definitely something I'm looking into," the 18-year-old Lerman said. "It's one of my favorite characters ever and I'm a huge fan of the series. I'd love to have more conversations about it. I'm definitely very interested in it."

Access Hollywood adds that Logan said the interest in him playing Spider-Man was "vice versa" from both him and the studio.

"It's just, you know, conversations are starting. It's a long process with the studio and the producers and everything. But it's definitely a project that I'm really interested in, of course. I'd love to focus on the human element a little bit more. It'd be such a fun experience."

http://superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=9045

I have an idea to justify the Spider-Man reboot, yet keep it in the same continuity: The Clone Saga!

Curt Connors has Peter's blood, which gets used (or stolen) by his colleague Miles Warren for a cloning experiment. The clone's physical and mental growth is accelerated to that of a teenager, which Warren plans to use to kill the real Spider-Man. Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man fights the clone (who's called Ben Reilly, of course), but then in typical superhero fashion, they team up to stop The Jackal. During the final battle Tobey's Spider-Man is killed by The Jackal and / or saving Ben. Before he can die, though, Peter passes the torch to the boy. To honor his "brother," Ben renames himself Peter Parker and continues to fight crime as the new Spider-Man.

Boom! Reboot yet nothing is erased.

I have an idea to justify the Spider-Man reboot, yet keep it in the same continuity: The Clone Saga!

Curt Connors has Peter's blood, which gets used (or stolen) by his colleague Miles Warren for a cloning experiment. The clone's physical and mental growth is accelerated to that of a teenager, which Warren plans to use to kill the real Spider-Man. Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man fights the clone (who's called Ben Reilly, of course), but then in typical superhero fashion, they team up to stop The Jackal. During the final battle Tobey's Spider-Man is killed by The Jackal and / or saving Ben. Before he can die, though, Peter passes the torch to the boy. To honor his "brother," Ben renames himself Peter Parker and continues to fight crime as the new Spider-Man.

Boom! Reboot yet nothing is erased.

Except our sanity. The whole reason to reboot is to capture the eight-nine years worth of new audience that's appeared and become a massively marketable new portion of potential viewers. If you check back into the old Spider-man 3 thread I'm sure you'll find that I proposed this very method of switching from Maguire to someone else, its just that it wouldn't really work. I'd love to see Ben Reilly incorporated into the new series if the plan on doing 3-4 of those, but I'd rather take a clean break after the mess that was Spidey 3.