The Amazing Spider-Man

JackFetch

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, Peter was injured and would likely have been shot trying to escape, like he was moments later. He picked the right thing to do, appealing to Captain Stacy. Also, I really think that you have to pick a hill to die on in these comic movies. SM telling people who he is is not that hill. Not when in the comics half his villains know who he is and he spent his entire superhero life running from the cops to escape being unmasked and then unmasked himself on TV because Iron Man told him it was the law.

If that's your problem with ASM, then I view it as a non-issue.

Finally went and saw it this afternoon. I really liked it. I feel it had a few things wrong with it, but otherwise great. Loved the casting. Aunt May & Uncle Ben are just perfect.

I guess my main problem is middle of the film. The Curt/Peter "How to kill a lizard" scene in the lab felt 'off'. Seeing as this really sets up the conflict, yeah. Just kinda bugs me. Also, not a fan of the POV web-slinging.

All in all, I left in a better mood than I went in so that is a success in my eyes.

EDIT: I almost forgot about this. The traditional Spider-Man origin is Peter being just in the wrong place at the wrong time. In this movie however, Peter put himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe I am looking too much into it, but I think that should mean something. What that is I have no clue.

Yeah, I thought how Peter got his powers is a little bit too convoluted, like how they did the origin in the Ang Lee Hulk film. I was going to do a whole bit comparing both, but I don't really want to remember the 2003 Hulk movie. Plus, it's hard to write about what lead Peter to getting his powers. It's easier to just watch it.

• 3 months later...

I finally saw the whole thing. I think it's full of great actors doing what they can with a mediocre script. Where are the iconic moments? I can't think of any. Spider-Man had at least a dozen like Norman talking to himself, the upside down kiss, ect. Amazing Spider-Man is not memorable at all.

It's full of strange logic also. Nobody said anything about the guy they saw hanging upside down in the subway car when right after that, Spider-Man arrives on the scene and is wanted by police? Security cameras don't exist in this world? When Peter can dunk from the three point line and break the backboard, instead of putting him on the team they call the cops and he gets community service? If I was the school, I'd be calling scouts.

After watching ASM I went and watched the original Raimi film, which I'd since grown to dislike. I actually found myself cheering at how many things the Raimi film did right, and noticing how many things ASM missed. If Garfield and Stone were in the Raimi Spider-Man, I think that'd have been a near-perfect Spider-Man movie.

Despite liking this movie when I first saw it, in hindsight I really think it might be my least favorite Spider-Man movie. Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 are just such fun movies, and despite it's flaws I think Spider-Man 3 is a lot of fun too. This really isn't that much fun at all. Parts of it were really well done but on the whole it's just sorta clunky. Also the darkness of it is kind of off putting considering the subject matter.

Honestly if I were to just stick in a movie to chill or have fun with, The Amazing Spider-Man would be my last pick out of the four.

• 2 weeks later...

Good actor, but Electro? You'd think they'd stick with the gene splicing thing, maybe do Rhino.

Electric eel.

That makes sense, but if you do that then you end up having both Spider-Man and all the series' villains be Oscorp animal mutants. I think Electro is a cooler way to go, if only for variety's sake.

That was the video game story, which took place right after the movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw this, and it wasn't bad at all. Not a classic, but certainly enjoyable.

I like the Raimi trilogy in that those movies really get the fun, Silver Age feel and definitely have the Lee-Romita Sr. as an inspiration. However, I never really loved Maguire. Garfield, on the other hand, nails it. The Spider-Man in this movie is absolutely spot-on the Spidey I grew up reading. If we could get this Spidey in Raimi's movies I would probably explode from sheer joy.

• 2 weeks later...