Watchmen...2?

Koete

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it'll be quite funny if we find out some stupid underlying mental reasons for each character's actions. Dr Manhatten only detached from humanity to escape his old missus. As though pottering about through the interdimensional fabric of space and time was his equivalent of popping down the shed at the bottom of the garden to do some woodworking.

Can't wait to see Dr Manhattan walk across America.

Balls across America.

Actually, I'm wondering if the book will have Dr. Manhattan walking around nude or not. I can see them saying no since these are books that are going to be much more in the spotlight than Watchmen was when it was coming out. Even with a mature reader banner, I could see some group being up in arms over full-frontal nudity featuring iconic characters, ignoring that half of them went full-monty in the original.

Can't wait to see Dr Manhattan walk across America.

Balls across America.

Actually, I'm wondering if the book will have Dr. Manhattan walking around nude or not. I can see them saying no since these are books that are going to be much more in the spotlight than Watchmen was when it was coming out. Even with a mature reader banner, I could see some group being up in arms over full-frontal nudity featuring iconic characters, ignoring that half of them went full-monty in the original.

Or the fact that you could see everything in the movie.

Add in a WikiLeaks-like site that has discovered Rorschach's journal and the children who must fight this war while questioning authority, and you have something that, like the original, is relevant to the modern world and is taking chances by telling stories no one else dares.

I absolutely LOVE that idea.

I think an ironic point to note, and don't get me wrong I enjoy Brian Azzarello's stories, but at Chicago Comic Con this past summer at his panel, someone asked Azzarello if given the chance, would he write a prequel storyline of Flashpoint Batman and the Flashpoint Bat characters. In short, Azzarello responded that it would be pointless and a waste of time because we the readers already know the ending, and he pointed to the Star Wars prequels as representing of storytelling failure as a result of such an instance.

I also like the Star Wars prequels.

Anyone see Alan Moore's comments on this?

“I tend to take this latest development as a kind of eager confirmation that they are still apparently dependent on ideas that I had 25 years ago.”

“As far as I know, there weren’t that many prequels or sequels to ‘Moby-Dick.’”

I've always had a bit of sympathy for Moore and his situation with DC, but his dickheaded arrogance about everything makes it difficult.

I've always had a bit of sympathy for Moore and his situation with DC, but his dickheaded arrogance about everything makes it difficult.

At the end of the day, it was a project for DC, and they can do whatever they want with it. I don't think anyone has explained to him properly what is going on, like with Blackest Night, and a part of him doesn't give a shit, but that doesn't mean that the work he created for a company, who paid him well for developing stories for their characters does not really give him the right to tell them what to do with those characters. If they want to create spin-off series, then it is their right to do so, with characters they own.

It's like if I created a character for a TV show, and they spun him off into his own sitcom, I would not expect them to come to me for ideas on developing the character, it would be nice if they did, but at the end of the day, they own the rights to anything created on their time.

I don't have the link in front of me or I'd post it, but yesterday on the comicsalliance.com story, Mark Waid posted some really intelligent comments that essentially boiled down to "Alan and DC are kind of both being assholes and JMS' assertion that 'well, what would JM Barrie think of Moore using Peter Pan characters in 'Lost Girls', it's totally the same thing and also I would be totally fine if someone took Babylon 5 and made it without me' is bullshit".

Apparently, if it went out of print for a year, the rights reverted back to Moore and Gibson.

..And then it went on to become a smash hit. So yeah, short-sightedness in the contract signing there.

Not really short-sightedness. The fact that DC offered them that much was a huge step forward for creators' rights. Or, it would have been if it hadn't been such a success.

That said, I don't like the idea of more Watchmen, but I don't begrudge DC for doing it. I'm amazed they held out this long.

People give credit to Paul Levitz in his role as president and publisher, which makes sense considering this ramped up after he stepped down.

Yeah, on the whole Levitz was a class act. Although I think that had more to do with his conviction that there was maybe a 0.0005% chance Moore might SOMEHOW be convinced to come back to DC someday, and he wanted to not ruin that completely. DiDio and Lee are under no such delusions.