Well excuse me, Princess!

Missy

Nintendo Eyeing the Big Screen

Japanese video game giant Nintento is going to Hollywood by creating an in-house unit to develop animated features based on the numerous properties owned by the company behind the GameCube and Game Boy systems, reports Variety.

Nintendo consultant and former president Hiroshi Yamauchi has put together a plan for the company to get into film production. According to reports in the Japanese press, the plan calls for Nintendo to create a movie based on one of its own franchises for theatrical release in 2006.

If it adopts the plan, Nintendo would become the first video game company to establish a theatrical film production unit. The company previously licensed its "Pokemon" and "Super Mario Bros." games for feature films.

Zelda: Would be very cool if they did it like The Lord of the Rings, but Nintendo will dumb it down for the kids.

Mario: Ugh... no.

Metroid: John Woo is supposedly working on this, so that should be cool.

Star Fox: Epic space battles haven't worked since Return of the Jedi, so I can't see this becoming a hit.

If you want my opinion, I think Nintendo is trying to influence the next wave in adaptations. They see how well Marvel is doing with the Spider-Man and X-Men films, and they want to be ahead of the curve when it comes to video game movies. But guess what, Nintendo: They're never good!