JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reason #763 why Will loves Passions:

Some context for the clip: After two weeks of half the cast running around the woods, cradling guns while talking to themselves about why they want to murder Julian, one of the main villains on the show, someone shot him over a vat of tuna. They then returned to Julian's house where they all proceed to have conversations like this one:

The Fountain- My final film of the year. This is a film that very much divides the public and the critics, receiving both boos and ovations at it's initial screenings. In spite of this I adore it. The meta-narrative of a search for life contrasted against loss and death is far more than just it's literal connotation, it uses repetition to explore it's themes in a manner that is almost symphonic in nature. The conquistador, the scientist and the traveller are all headed for the same destination with the same goals in mind, and as they each experience the same steps on their journey they reinforce each others narratives. No coincidence then that Clint Mansell, the Kronos Quartet and Mogwai combine to craft a classical yet modern and powerful soundtrack that is probably my favourite of all time, creating, repeating and weaving themes throughout the film that I fully admit make the entire project work. Hugh Jackman is astounding, conveying the desperate struggle of a man seeking hope with every fibre of his being, hurting what he loves just for a chance to keep it alive, it's one of those performances that marks him as one of the truly great modern actors. Weisz is at once regal and holy, warm and forgiving, vulnerable and strong, the perfect reason for Thomas and Tomas to feel everything they feel and do everything they do.

I only watch this every 2-3 years since I first saw it. Each time I come away more impressed and more deeply invested. I cannot ever promise that other people will enjoy this, but it's forever going to remain near the very top of my film pantheon.

This marks my 211th film this year.