Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

On 2/28/2018 at 1:37 PM, Dread said:

That always bugged me about ANOES. For a movie that is otherwise pretty flawless, it's a huge sticking point that could have been fixed with a quick re-draft of the screenplay. The parents find out it's him before the police arrest him? Sure. He gets off on an insanity plea and is intercepted before being committed? I mean, ok. The parent lynch mob storms the police station? There have been stupider things in movies. All of these are better options.

Right. Plus, it doesn't reinforce real-world paranoia.

I actually thought the NOES remake had a really interesting tease that Freddy was actually innocent. Given real-world exhortations - from "shaken baby syndrome" cases to people who like Bernard Baran who were outright framed, it would have been a socially conscious thing to do.

Granted, NOES fans would have been furious with the change and would have probably walked out of the theater had they actually pulled the trigger on that. And it would have been really out of place for a horror movie. And it would have turned Freddy into a sympathetic character, which is a bad idea.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, S-T said:

Right. Plus, it doesn't reinforce real-world paranoia.

I actually thought the NOES remake had a really interesting tease that Freddy was actually innocent. Given real-world exhortations - from "shaken baby syndrome" cases to people who like Bernard Baran who were outright framed, it would have been a socially conscious thing to do.

Granted, NOES fans would have been furious with the change and would have probably walked out of the theater had they actually pulled the trigger on that. And it would have been really out of place for a horror movie. And it would have turned Freddy into a sympathetic character, which is a bad idea.

Right. But his revenant nature would make more sense.

1 hour ago, S-T said:

How so? Because he is coming back for revenge on people who actually wronged him?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If he was wrongfully killed, it makes his revenant nature make more sense, rather than just turning into a boogeyman.

Got to say that I've never really given a shit about the Oscars, but I've always understood their importance. I was impressed when Pan's Labyrinth was nominated for best foreign film, but I think the animated movie about old French ladies won. I will not pretend that it is unimportant that Del Toro won best director and best film for TSOW (a film I have yet to see but plan to) and Jordan Peele won the screenplay award for Get Out. An award that is so often given out to directors who write their own films that are too edgy for old white dudes to vote for it for best film or director. It was a consolation prize, but it was an important one.

• 4 weeks later...

The End of the F***ing World: This one-season, eight-episode show is amazing. Each episode is roughly 20 minutes, making it easily bingeable on Netflix. Two teenagers -- one who thinks he's a serial killer in-the-making, the other with a distant mother and scummy stepfather -- runaway from their dull town with no intention of looking back. When things go pear-shaped, however, the option to go back is forever removed from the table. It touches on sexual abuse, murder, lost hopes and dreams, sexual growth, suicide, living in a world one has no control over, and so many other themes, yet there's a dry, black comedy that runs throughout the entire piece. The two lead actors, Jessica Barden and Alex Lawther, each bring real teenage angst to their respective roles of Alyssa and James, and do so without ever employing over-the-top American teenage drama angst; they're each depressed for their own very valid, very relatable reasons, and their growth from start to finish is all thanks to some of the best writing, acting, and directing I've seen in anything in a long time.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:03 PM, The Master said:

The End of the F***ing World: This one-season, eight-episode show is amazing. Each episode is roughly 20 minutes, making it easily bingeable on Netflix.

Just did so and greatly enjoyed it :) Nice palate cleanser after a God-awful Star Trek episode.

That dog though.

:cry:

Shades of Gray: *shudder*

Non-spoiler thoughts on The Good Place, season one: after watching it on Netflix, I find myself not caring to see more. While I like the characters and the reveal (which I had spoiled for me), it ended in a place where I feel satisfied knowing this is what the characters will go through for eternity.

Spoiler thoughts on The Good Place, season one: But...

Spoiler

I also hate reset buttons. So do we have to watch these characters reconnect and go through the same and different arcs once more? The reveal was great (especially Ted Danson's laugh), but the "let's do this right this time" really put me off.

Just now, The Master said:

Shades of Gray: *shudder*

Yup. Not to tread on you and Dan's toes, but it really puts into sharp relief had dire a lot of the first two seasons were. I'm tempted to agree with the opinion that it's worst entry in the entire franchise but to it's credit, it doesn't feature Planet Africa or prehistoric newts fucking.

32 minutes ago, The Master said:

Non-spoiler thoughts on The Good Place, season one: after watching it on Netflix, I find myself not caring to see more. While I like the characters and the reveal (which I had spoiled for me), it ended in a place where I feel satisfied knowing this is what the characters will go through for eternity.

Spoiler thoughts on The Good Place, season one: But...

Hide contents

I also hate reset buttons. So do we have to watch these characters reconnect and go through the same and different arcs once more? The reveal was great (especially Ted Danson's laugh), but the "let's do this right this time" really put me off.

I had the same apprehensions going into Season 2. It pays off really well though. In a lot of ways, season 2 work so much better because you're in on things.

OK, so the Wicked Witch of the West has never been caught in the rain? Does it not rain in the land of Oz? She cannot ever wash her hands? Would she get a bad burn if there is high humidity?

What about drinking water? For the WWotW, it would be like drinking hydrochloric acid. Shouldn't she have dehydrated to death?
She must be some sort of alien life form. The human body is 60% water.  Her own body would be toxic to her.

These are the kinds of things that go through my brain. I think something might be wrong with me.

On 4/2/2018 at 11:39 AM, The Master said:

I totally hope that ends with a "Legend of Chun-Li"-esque stinger where the Principal says something to the effect of "There's a man you two must meet...his name is Norville Rogers...but his friends call him..."Shaggy".

*hands them a Scooby Snack*

Velma: "We'll look into it."

By now I think most of us have heard of the disgusting but completely believable allegations against Animator and Ren and Stimpy creator John Kricifalusi. Last night he texted this to Robyn Byrd.

2 hours ago, Donomark said:

I totally hope that ends with a "Legend of Chun-Li"-esque stinger where the Principal says something to the effect of "There's a man you two must meet...his name is Norville Rogers...but his friends call him..."Shaggy".

*hands them a Scooby Snack*

Velma: "We'll look into it."

By now I think most of us have heard of the disgusting but completely believable allegations against Animator and Ren and Stimpy creator John Kricifalusi. Last night he texted this to Robyn Byrd.

How does your mind go to Legend of Chun Li over Batman Begins there?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a strange dream last night: Every single character on The Walking Dead started referring to Carl as "Coral" and Rick was getting irritated by them mocking his accent.

TWD also merged with the Resident Evil universe, as many of the monsters from that series started showing up in TWD.

Naturally, me being me, I was criticizing the plot of my own dream by remarking to the people watching the show with me that the RE monsters really do not fit in the Walking Dead universe and it was a mistake to include them in the show.

16 hours ago, S-T said:

Had a strange dream last night: Every single character on The Walking Dead started referring to Carl as "Coral" and Rick was getting irritated by them mocking his accent.

TWD also merged with the Resident Evil universe, as many of the monsters from that series started showing up in TWD.

Naturally, me being me, I was criticizing the plot of my own dream by remarking to the people watching the show with me that the RE monsters really do not fit in the Walking Dead universe and it was a mistake to include them in the show.

HAHAHAHAHAHA