JackFetch

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Putting this here so as to not derail the Iron Man 2 thread.

With Tuesday's box office take of $511 thousand, Jon Favreau's Iron Man 2 has achieved the benchmark of having crossed the $300 million mark domestically, joining the fairly exclusive ranks of only 34 movies that have grossed that amount (not accounting for inflation). It still has some work cut out for it to achieve the $318 million amassed by its predecessor in 2008, as well as the $33 million it would need if it wants to surpass Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland as the top grossing movie of the year in North America.

Internationally, Iron Man 2 has reach $295 million for a worldwide total of $595.3 million, which tops the first film's $585.2 million.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/102522-iron-man-2-hits-300-million

I've said it once and I'll say it again, these figures are basically meaningless. The dollar increases in value, bigger population, more screens, etc, etc. When someone can knock off Casablanca in adjusted figures, then I'll be impressed. But to derail my own argument, with cinema competing with so many other forms of entertainment, it probably will never happen. So maybe generation comparisons are more effective?

I know this is gong back to a discussion from last month, but:

I can never be truly comfortable with what Bale did for the Machinist, but I think that's a big part of why it worked. Plus I think that's one of those things you only ever have to do once, he's not making a habit of it.

Well, he did lose a ton of weight to play a prisoner of war in Rescue Dawn. I doubt he ever got anywhere near where he was in the Machinist, but he still looked pretty awful. Then he gained it all back again.