Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

I don't get the appeal of Kristen Bell. Can't act her way out of a paper bag.

The movies I've watched over the past two weeks:

The World's End-to be discussed on a future DM.

We're the Millers-hokey and eye-rolling at times, but overall pretty fucking funny. Aniston is incredible in this movie. She has serious comedy chops and looks incredibly hot.

Silver Linings Playbook-Wow...dark comedy to say the least. The laughs don't go above a chuckle because of how sad the rest of the movie is. Bradley Cooper is a guy I'm kind of ambivalent about, but I found him to be amazing in this movie. I know that guy. Seriously. This movie brings the tally of movies I've liked Jennifer Lawrence in to 2. She was pretty great here. Best Actress great? Nope. Nowhere near it. But I dug their relationship a lot. Chris Tucker was fucking great! God that guy can be good when he isn't trying too hard. Also, I have finally seen a movie I've liked Deniro in since Ronin. He was fucking great in this one too.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She'll always be easy on the eyes and I like her for her personality off screen as well. As an actress, she does tend to only be as good as the material she's given. I'm never going to say she's good in the legions of shitty romantic comedies she's done. That said, Reefer Maddness, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Fanboys are some examples of good acting from her in my opinion but that's just me.

We're the Millers-hokey and eye-rolling at times, but overall pretty fucking funny. Aniston is incredible in this movie. She has serious comedy chops and looks incredibly hot.

Agree, she should definitely look for more of this kind of thing. I loved the bit where they played the alternate song on the radio.

Agree, she should definitely look for more of this kind of thing. I loved the bit where they played the alternate song on the radio.

In the outtakes? Yeah, that was pretty funny.

So I started watching TRON: Uprising (the animated series) on Netflix this week and just finished the one-and-only season.

Uprising should be added to the ever-growing list of strong animated action shows cut down in their prime. Epic action done in the style of TRON: Legacy (with a lot of the same people behind music/art/writing), a good semi-serialized story (better-handled than Legacy's, honestly), and great voice acting.

Only major drawback: as a big fan of the TRON world, after finishing Uprising I feel like I've lost TRON all over again, at least until the 3rd film which is apparently actually still happening. Oh well. It was fun to get back on the Grid, if only for a week.

Toy Story 3 and Up were still great, but the most recent three (Cars 2, Brave, and Monsters University) are the questionable ones.

Cars 2 was likely the result of two things: One, Disney desperately wanted more money from Cars toys. Two, Pixar started relaxing their standards, allowing movies to be made "just for fun" rather than before where they basically only made stories that they felt were worthy of the epic Pixar name.

Brave was a clusterfuck of behind-the-scenes creative drama, hence why the original director left in mid-production.

Monsters University is another example of Pixar going, "hey, that sounds fun, let's do that," in the same manner that someone decides they're going to eat a cheeseburger for lunch that day. That being said, I don't mind that MU exists. It's only mildly entertaining, but I don't need every Pixar movie to be a gleaming example of narrative mastery.

Toy Story 3 aside, I've not seen a Pixar film post-The Incredibles. And my understanding is that the lines are blurring between Pixar & Disney all the more, what with that Planes knock off film nonsense.

I do like Pixar's Golden Age (although I found Finding Nemo to be massively overrated and conversely enjoyed A Bug's Life), but it appears they've lost their lustre. Again, in that I don't criticise films I've not seen (usually), I can't give direct credence to that, but at the same time, I'm in no rush to watch Cars 2.

All things being fair, there is still a pretty big distinction between Disney Animation and Pixar, though each has tried on the other's shoes, as it were. Brave is a bit in the vein of Disney films like Mulan (though nowhere close to that good), and Wreck-It Ralph is very much a Pixar-style story. But in general, Pixar films have a Pixar feel while Disney Animation is obviously a direct continuation of the classic 2D line.

Planes wasn't done by Pixar or Disney Animation; it's by "DisneyToon Studios," the people who made all the Disney direct-to-video tie-ins. It wasn't even meant for theaters; it just kinda ended up there because money.

(agreed on Finding Nemo and A Bug's Life, btw)

I like Finding Nemo for Dorrie. The other characters are just kinda there for me.

I kinda said this in the Frozen Hey Gurlfriend but I agree that Pixar isn't as great as it used to be. While Wall-E will always be one of my favorite films, most of them fall flat. Like a fair deal of their films are emotional manipulation instead of genuine heart which is why the most recent crop of Disney Animation films have been outclassing them. That and it feels like they've practically hit a factory pace of doing a film a year as opposed to what they used to do of whenever we get to it.

He's sure trying to sour me on Nymphomaniac. It's going from my most anticipatd film of the year, to a movie that makes me want to fast forward through the LeBeouf.

In other news, the episode of Metalocalypse where they go to LA to see Pickles' old band is one of the greatest episodes of any TV show in the history of TV.