Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Incredibles is honestly one of my favorite movies of all time; it's #11 on my Flickchart. The jungle action scene fills me with childlike glee every single time I see it. So while I'm excited for a sequel, there's also that part of me that goes, "Please don't suck."

My wife is in love with the guy, so I can say I've seen most of his filmography, and honestly: the guy reminds me of The Rock, but white and with worse comedic timing. But I like the guy, and I'd agree that Channing Tatum is actually charismatic as hell.

I've come to the realization that the world of bad movies deserves to be split into two different lists. On one side, we have movies that the writer or director or someone truly believed in what they were doing. These are your Plan 9s, Birdemics, Troll 2s, The Rooms, etc. On the other hand of the aisle, we have movies that are made simply to make money. This is the Mockbusters, the Uwe Bolls, and most anything made for the Sci-Fi/SyFy channel. You have movies like Showgirls that walk the fineline. The main reason for wanting a distinction is when you talk to someone about bad movies and they bring up Sharknado as a bad movie but don't realize that it was a movie that started with a title and someone figuring they could make it suck to high heaven and that would be enough to sell people on it.

I'll reiterate that those making fun of Uwe Boll haven't seen much of what he's made in the past 7 years. For every sub-par work for hire film he's made (Far Cry/Bloodrayne sequels), he's made a borderline excellent personal film (Max Schmeling, Final Storm Tunnel Rats).

And there's the problem. Because Boll has done so many bad movies that his good ones will be hidden by the smokescreen of crap. There are a large amount of people who will never find the good ones because they've gotten burnt before. The closest example I can think of is Michael Bay who's half-handful of worthwhile films are drowned by his own reputation and the bad films he's done. But the thing is, I've hit the point where I'm not going to let another shitty movie get under my skin and I'll try to check out one or two of the movies you suggested there.

I saw Bad Boys II in a cinema in LA (the Family Wilson were on hoilday) whilst my sister watched Pirates of the Carribbean for 4th time (that holiday).

T'was fun enough at the time - I'm due a rewatch soon enough. The original Bad Boys isn't half bad either.

And yet it's still better than Man of Steel, IMO. Which is the sad thing.

Superman Returns is a horribly flawed superhero movie, but it is still a superhero movie in the end, unlike Man of Steel, which is a highly mediocre character drama that turns into a generic alien invasion movie. Sure, MOS doesn't have the bizarre stupid moments of SR, but it also has no real personality. It's just monotone seriousness all the time. SR has problems, but I can still watch that movie and recognize it as being Superman. Man of Steel is almost deliberately un-Superman, as if it's ashamed of what it is.

And in any case, the Superman Returns plane scene is easily one of the greatest movie superhero moments of all time. My personal favorite, in fact.