Sign in to follow this  
JackFetch

Random movie and tv thoughts

I'm not explaining anything to him except that not everyone thinks the same way he does about things. If you re going to say a filmmaker made a racist scene you are saying he had intent to make it that way. I don't see any intent. That is all I'm saying. Are we not allowed to have disagreements here? This could lead to a nice discussion if everyone can be adults and start reading things into it that aren't there. Apparently we can't. 

4 hours ago, JackFetch said:

If you re going to say a filmmaker made a racist scene you are saying he had intent to make it that way.

Racism doesn't need to work that way. The filmmakers of the new Aladdin movie included a Bollywood-style dance number presumably to be more culturally accurate since it was in live-action, except hey, India culture and Arabian culture aren't interchangeable. That was a racist act, but doesn't strictly mean the filmmakers were intentionally being racist. Nevertheless they were. Things like racial bias, stereotypes and general negligence lead down racist pathways through misinformation.

In Death Wish 2018's case, Roth certainly thought the presence of one black drug dealer wouldn't overshadow the presence of a black cop or innocent black child, but imagery (not to mention promotion) carries far more meaning at a much faster pace than storytelling. Interpretation>Intent. 

Shooting deaths of black men and the justification of their murders dominated the news at the time that Death Wish was being remade. Movie trailers work shorthand for delivering scant details of information that the audience would already understand. What does the image of a movie protagonist casually murdering a black man in broad daylight say in an era where a black man can have a lawfully owned gun and still get shot to death by a police officer? In the case of promotion, it communicates that the killing is justified. In the case of the sequence: Black murder is justified. Even the fact that he's a drug dealer doesn't  justify the action of murder. In the original Death Wish films, Paul Kersey went specifically after rapists and muggers who were always intent to kill the innocent. Still not wholly justifiable homicide, but reciprocal violence on a scale that's easier to digest. 

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

That's the thematic mantra of the Death Wish franchise, and that's that mantra that puts all the real world discussions of police shooting unarmed black men into ethical conflict when considering institutions like the police, or in this case, gun owners. Kersey is a gun owner, so the film places him in an position where his actions are unimpeachable. And before you or anyone states that the movie is simple fiction separated from the real world, understand that the NRA use fear mongering to sustain their organization.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/guns-crime/reports/2019/04/24/468951/guns-lies-fear/

So the movie communicates that shooting down black drug dealers with your God-given right to own guns is a fantasy that's perfectly viable, despite it being a distortion of how to solve societal problems like drugs in communities. And because it's far more realistic than any superhero movie or over the top action film like a Mission Impossible, the idea of a gun giving one a license to kill is a harmful one that too many people believe. And because of that imaginary license to kill, images like shooting scary black people become too tantalizing for people to ignore, and statistics such as black people being 25% of police deaths in 2017 despite being 13% of the total US population or 30% of black people killed by police are unarmed in 2015 compared to 21% of white victims get ignored because

A) "It's just a movie"

B) "The guy was a drug dealer"
C) "I'm sure Eli Roth didn't mean it."

Everything is political.

The reason I saw it as racist isn't even so much murdering the drug dealer (though I could rant about vigilantism in movies, and have at length elsewhere) as much as the fact that a bunch of black people ran up to grab drugs after the guy was dead - just immediately, and running away. Stupid criminal black people can't wait to get free drugs before the body is even cold.

Keep in mind I'm about as right wing as it gets, almost certainly the most right wing person on this forum. This isn't a "SJW" talking.

7 hours ago, Preston said:

Looks fantastic. But how is that NOT Margot Robbie?

Samara Weaving is incredible. I like her more than Robbie. Check out The Babysitter and Mayhem. Also, her uncle is Agent Smith.

It's definitely an award bait film but considering the leads, I can't blame them at all. Ian McKellan still hasn't won an Oscar and deserves one and Helen Mirren could always use another one.

Bad Boys III should not be called Bad Boys for Life. It breaks all of the silly sequel naming conventions.

Anyone else here watch The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance? I binged it last week and would love to review the original film and the pilot for an episode of The Show (ideally someone who grew up with the film or saw it at a young age).