Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

Apparently the upcoming ninth Fast & Furious movie is simply called F9. As I mentioned on Twitter, the F9 key on an Apple keyboard is the fast forward button, so I'm all in on this being a super weird joke by the screenwriter(s). Until now the series hasn't officially used the F# naming convention for titles, just marketing purposes. They've been:

• The Fast and the Furious
  • 2 Fast 2 Furious
  • The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
  • Fast & Furious
  • Fast Five
  • Fast & Furious 6
  • Furious 7
  • The Fate of the Furious

Also, some of the titles have been puns. (I'm looking at you 2 Fast and Fate.) So I would not put this kind of weird pun past them.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Fate of the Furious is the funniest one. Referring to the cast/crew/team/family as such is almost as galling as the cast of Legends of Tomorrow randomly settling on calling themselves "The Legends". But that title reveal dropped at the end of that hilarious trailer and never looked back.

5 hours ago, The Master said:

Apparently the upcoming ninth Fast & Furious movie is simply called F9. As I mentioned on Twitter, the F9 key on an Apple keyboard is the fast forward button, so I'm all in on this being a super weird joke by the screenwriter(s). Until now the series hasn't officially used the F# naming convention for titles, just marketing purposes. They've been:

• The Fast and the Furious
  • 2 Fast 2 Furious
  • The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
  • Fast & Furious
  • Fast Five
  • Fast & Furious 6
  • Furious 7
  • The Fate of the Furious

Also, some of the titles have been puns. (I'm looking at you 2 Fast and Fate.) So I would not put this kind of weird pun past them.

I remember when Fast Five was coming out in theaters.  I struggled to explain to people the difference between 1 & 4 when they came into the store to get the DVD to catch up.  They all asked for #1, but actually wanted #4.  And when I tried to make sure they got the correct DVD, I got a lot of blank stares.  I had to make signs.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob Iger has stepped down as CEO of Disney. His replacement is Bob Chapek who was the head of Disney Parks.

Chapek also spearheaded all those cheap, Direct-To-Video sequels back in the 90s and is also behind some of more controversial things as the Parks in the last few years such as pretending that the Guardians ride is anything more than The Hollywood Tower of Terror with a new paint job. So... if you're expecting Disney to put out anything new or novel in the next few years, you might not want to hold your breath waiting.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, Molly said:

Oh, so he's history's greatest monster and now he controls the biggest media company on Earth.

Um... No. He's not Hitler, Stalin, or Mao.

He's not Bundy, Gacy or Dahmer.

Let's dial it back a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, slothian said:

Exactly how a) popular, b) funny was Fran Drescher's The Nanny sitcom? I need to know for Hey, An Actor research.

It wasn't Friends/Seinfeld level popular, but it was reasonably well watched and people knew who you were doing when you imitated Drescher. It was a bog-standard three-camera sitcom with a laugh track but it could get a chuckle every now and then.

It understandably has developed a gay following over the years. It stayed around top 20-40 highest rated shows in America for a fair bit of it's run and was amusing if you were a kid and had some good gags if you weren't. A lot of the humor came from the barbs traded Daniel Davis's Niles the Butler and Lauren Lane's C.C. Babcock. That's not to say that Fran Drescher wasn't funny on the show, just that when you have a mostly family sitcom, your star occasionally has to let other people be funnier than them.

4 hours ago, slothian said:

Exactly how a) popular, b) funny was Fran Drescher's The Nanny sitcom? I need to know for Hey, An Actor research.

It's weird.  I remembered it as an older show than it was.  I mean, I have no recollection of it lasting until 1999.  Like Dan said, even tho I didn't watch the show, I was aware of it.

But, at least for me, it wasn't in syndication.  I'm sure it was on cable, but I only had the networks.  And while every sitcom (longstanding enough to qualify) I can think about from that time period was, The Nanny was not.  I'd get hour blocks of Newsradio, Living Single and Mad About You.  So that may speak to popularity a bit.