Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't even know what Rosemary's Baby is.

Get the fuck out of here.

And my issue with this is simple. It's going to be awful, and I'm sick of mass produced, unoriginal shit films. I honestly think that an original idea would kill some of these Hollywood types. Why can't we have another kid's movie like "The Iron Giant?" Something that is genuinely well-written, with a huge heart and that actually challenges the kids watching it, instead of "Comedian I used to like" and "singer that was pretty good in Black Snake Moan" in "Film version of Shitty 60's Cartoon in shitty CGI."

And yes, I'm actually more pissed about Dan Akroyd's involvement than the existence of this film.

And my issue with this is simple. It's going to be awful, and I'm sick of mass produced, unoriginal shit films. I honestly think that an original idea would kill some of these Hollywood types. Why can't we have another kid's movie like "The Iron Giant?" Something that is genuinely well-written, with a huge heart and that actually challenges the kids watching it, instead of "Comedian I used to like" and "singer that was pretty good in Black Snake Moan" in "Film version of Shitty 60's Cartoon in shitty CGI."

Because this has a better chance to succeed in the studios minds, than an original idea, which involves someone developing and character designing and all the small time stuff that takes time. Doing ideas like this are easy to get off the ground, and have a chance to sell. Especially with the 3-D shite.

And yes, I'm actually more pissed about Dan Akroyd's involvement than the existence of this film.

I've given up on him. He just does films for the money now. Good for him, but I miss when he was in films I could actually sit through.

Honestly, what pisses me off most about that poster is that Hollywood's going back to another old cartoon series for live-action ideas, and the whole 3D thing.

So? Do you hate Hollywood for going back to comic books for film material?

Okay, let me put it this way. In general, do I mind Hollywood going to other sources, such as pre-existing material, for movies? Not usually, unless it feels like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel in a desperate attempt to make money (which, to me, it kind of feels like here, and with the Smurfs.) That, and 3D just annoys me at best, and gives me a headache at worst. Plus, it adds something like a $5 surcharge onto tickets at some of the places I go to movies, and that is just money that I do not have.

Honestly, I would kill for more movies with original concepts or plots coming out, like Inception (yes, this was influenced by a lot of late 80's/early-mid 90's movies, but, still, it's more original than anything I've seen for a long while), instead of what feels like scraping the bottom of the barrel for stuff like Yogi, or sequel upon sequel.

...Does that make sense?

Oh totally. I want more movies with original concepts and plots too, but adaptations of pre-existing material have always been a part of Hollywood so they don't get my ire up I guess. And sequels are a big part of Hollywood as it stands now. It would be great to have more original films, but Hollywood puts business first. And hey, it's not like it's another Saw film or Uwe Boll movie being announced.

I don't even know what Rosemary's Baby is.

A classic of the psychological horror genre. The main character, Rosemary, gets pregnant and she starts to believe that the people around her are Satanist and have designs on her child. Both Mia Farrow and Ruth Gordon are awesome in it. Definitely one of my favorites because its a quiet horror, not crazy.

Would I hate a live action movie starring Dick Dastardly? Probably not...

Who would play him?

Only as long as Muttley is in it also. I could see Steve Martin 10 years ago doing it. Now? Alec Baldwin.

Watching Torchwood: Children of Earth. The technical details of this really irk me. For starters, I find it highly unlikely that the respectable nation chain of concrete suppliers CEMEX could be convinced to bury a screaming man in concrete, nor would they loan out one of their trucks unmanned. Its even less likely that they could hire in both CEMEX and a separate company for the pumping rig. Lastly, these people have no fucking clue what concrete looks like or how it works. The stuff they were pumping in was water and cement, harmful yes (toxic skin irritant), but not likely to turn solid any time soon. You actually need some ratio of sand and/or stone to make concrete, and when that's poured it doesn't look like gunge from the Noel Edmunds house party.