Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

^ I concur with my fellow Dubs. The Breakfast Club is a movie that seems to be telling me it's a great movie more than it actually is. If the message is "people are people, no matter what," then yes, it gets that across. But it seems to reinforce negative things, too. (parents are stupid and don't understand, hot girls just want to be abused, etc.)

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great if you're a communist.

Stand up, all victims of oppression,

For the tyrants fear your might!

Don't cling so hard to your possessions,

For you have nothing if you have no rights!

Let racist ignorance be ended,

For respect makes the empires fall!

Freedom is merely privilege extended,

Unless enjoyed by one and all.

So come brothers and sisters,

For the struggle carries on.

The Internationale,

Unites the world in song.

So comrades, come rally,

For this is the time and place!

The international ideal,

Unites the human race.

I get what the movie is supposed to be, but it only serves to embrace the stereotypes and labels it's supposed to be shunning.

Most everyone in it is a shitty human being and you get no sense that anything really changes at the end (aside from some people getting laid).

Had a lively debate at dinner this evening about what the most important movie to modern superhero films is. I maintain that it's Blade, since it shifted the momentum from the failing DC franchises to Marvel. Without Blade you have no X-men, which means no Spider-man, which means no modern Marvel, at least not as we know it. Thoughts? I mean, whilst Superman and Batman were big in their day they're individual franchises that didn't breed much in the way of successors or imitators. Blade started the modern hero revolution and proved that Marvel could be an effective partner in producing successful films.

Yes, but...

It's a bit of a fallacy to look at it solely with Marvel v DC glasses on. Blade was anything but a highly-championed Marvel project. It succeeded because it was a film that surpassed all expectations. That DC's Batman franchise and one-off projects were failing at the time were coincidental with regard to timing. It certainly didn't beget the Marvel chain reaction, although it's certainly arguable that as the DC stranglehold collapsed, Marvel comic properties had their time in the sun - the aforementioned Blade to X-Men to Spider-Man etc.

I certainly think the success of Blade gave Marvel's production staff more confidence, but I don't think the success of a single unchampioned film "proved" Marvel could be a successful producer. The "proof" was more the Marvel output within that 5 year period (1998-2003), which Blade simply kick-started.

I really tend to think it's the first X-Men. New Line did everything it could to downplay Blade's source material, and never mentioned Marvel in the promotion. There was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it "based on a character appearing in Marvel Comics" blurb in the opening credits, but that was it. Its success or failure depended solely on its own merits as a film (not that that's a bad thing). I don't believe that its success had anything to do with the wave of comic book movies that followed, because the vast majority of people who went to see it walked into it with no idea the character had appeared in comics, and left the theater none the wiser. No one (outside of comics fandom) pointed to Blade and said "This is proof positive that the public wants to see Secret Wars on the big screen!" More people looked at it and said "Yep, vampires are pretty cool."

X-Men, however, couldn't hide its source material. It unapologetically wore its source material on its sleeve (even if it took pains to be as realistic as its director felt it could be and ditched the yellow spandex), and its success (which would be dwarfed by other comic movies soon, but the fact that it made money at all was seen as pretty remarkable for a non-Super or Bat movie) paved the way for others.

Alternatively, Superman proved that the material could be done seriously, even if it was pretty much a one-off and the sequels got progressively sillier. Without the first Superman there would almost definitely have been no Batman '89 and say what you will, Batman '89 was hugely successful and made everything that came after it possible.

I am always confused somewhat on how I view Blade. Yes, it was the first modern Marvel film, but I always have this nagging thought that it gets undue praise just for that fact. I just find it hard to believe that the X-Men/Spider-Man franchises wouldn't have made their way to the big screen sooner rather than later. Not to say Blade didn't speed things along, but I don't remembering it being this major movie when it was released.

To answer the question, I would lean toward Iron Man. While not the first movie made after the 'boom' of a non-widely known character (ie, Daredevil & Ghost Rider to name a few), I would argue it was the most important. Taking into account outside factors (1st Marvel Studios film, Dark Knight released two months later), a failure of Iron Man was have meant no Thor, Incredible Hulk, ect. Add in the fact the Spider-Man/X-Men franchises were played out, that would have left Marvel with no viable options for new films. DC would still have a 'Batman 3' to make, but would they still take a chance on a Green Lantern movie?

Blade is a supernatural action movie, not a superhero movie.

I'd say it really goes back to Superman: The Movie, then Batman 89, then everything else. After 1989, Batman movies were made one after the other, and only paused after 1997 because of the awfulness of Batman and Robin. Batman Begins and Superman Returns are descendants of projects that were already in various stages of production before X-Men and Spider-Man kickstarted the 21st-century superhero film renaissance; they would have come out regardless. I think the first time DC films were literally made because of Marvel was with Green Lantern.

I'd argue that Blade is a sneak Superhero movie. I mean, if you're going to blur the definition for supernatural stuff then Hellboy isn't a superhero movie. It's not a constant 100% label, Blade fits many of the criteria of the term.

On Iron Man, yes it's responsible for the modern Marvel films as a whole but it jumping into a trend when it was already well in swing, and at a point where Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-men etc had all already been made. Iron Man is significant, probably the most significant since those initial X-men and Spider-man films, but not a trendsetter.

Whilst Blades comic book credentials weren't hyped much at all I would say the main reason for that was the fact that in 1998 comic book movies weren't cool, especially in the case of minor characters. If Blade were made for the first time today the marketing would be radically different, it would be a comic book movie. What it proved was that Marvel could be a partner and provide successful source material, and that technology and filmmaking had advanced to the point that these sort of movies were possible. Think, it wasn't that long before that Marvel offered up the original Fantastic Four, which was the antithesis of Blade in every way.

Maybe X-men was right around the corner regardless, scripts were being developed since 1994 and Fox had the rights, but Blade was the first thing Marvel sold that really worked.

Both Blade and Hellboy are superheroes, so they must be superhero films. They both use their superpowers to fight evil on a regular basis.

On another note NCIS has sucked the last few years, but the ending to tonight's show was awesome. Can't wait for next week. They are finally moving a storyline along that has been dragging for eight years. Also, I kept thinking the guest star sounded like Marina Sirtis, and low and behold it was her. She looks completely different now.

Awhile back the news broke about Luc Besson making another sci fi movie. I guess this is it:

Luc Besson, the French director with a penchant for putting women front and center in his action movies, has found his next leading lady.

Scarlett Johansson is in final negotiations to star in Besson's latest helming effort, the action-thriller Lucy. Universal has taken worldwide distribution rights with the exception of France, Benelux and China.

Besson wrote the script for Lucy, which centers on a woman forced to become a drug mule. But the drug instead goes into her system, transforming her into an ass-kicking machine. She can absorb knowledge instantaneously, is able to move objects with her mind and can't feel pain and other discomforts.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/scarlett-johansson-star-luc-bessons-446576

I can't decide whether I love or hate American Horror Story. On one hand I think parts of it are kind of dumb and Jessica Lange aside, I'm not to crazy about the cast. On the other hand it's very well shot and does manage to creep me out. Also I love how they incorporate classic Bernard Herrmann scores into the soundtrack. I really need to see more before I make a decision one way or another.