Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The theater I go to costs $16 for 3D and $12.50 for regular screenings. I'm part of their "extras program," which gets you access to some movies for $6.

When Shana and I saw Iron Man 3, we ordered a medium soda and that cost $5.50. That's more appalling to me than ticket prices, honestly. That said, I know theaters make all of their money off of concessions, so though I don't like it, I understand it.

A very good friend of mine managed a theater for a long time, and he said that the company viewed themselves as a restaurant that showed entertainment. They make nothing off the movies themselves.

By and large, a movie sets me back about $11-$13. A couple bucks more if it's IMAX.

World's End does look fun, like Jack said it's basically a mashup version of their first two. Great supporting cast there, Paddy Considine, Martin Freeman, Rosamund Pike, Mark Heap, Reece Shearsmith etc. The typical union of great talent you get in Edgar Wrights stuff. Even if this were his weakest film it may still comfortably go in the four star range. The continuation of the fence jumping gag is awesome.

Hehe. I'm watching Godzilla. It's like something forbidden due to it's terrible reputation. I honestly believe that the only reason it's not more infamous is due to it's proximity in history to Wild Wild West and Battlefield Earth. Classic Emmerich setup too, a guy at a desk with a lot of buttons eating and watching TV until a red light flashes and an alarm goes off. It's totally his MO.

It's damn near cartoonish so far, even by Emmerich standards. Almost all the actors are comedic performers for the most part bar Reno. Why did Hollywood spend so long convinced that epic disaster movies needed to be funny? Also, I like Matthew Broderick but who did his agent blow to get him this part? The women are swooning over him in this thing!

Washing the taste of Emmerichs faux Spielberg out of my mouth with merely substandard Spielberg. Meaning War of the Worlds.

Love how even in a movie where he's just a dock worker he's the best dock worker there is damn it. At least he let them portray him as a shitty dad.

20 minutes in and War of the Worlds is already an infinitely better disaster movie. The lack of music until the machines appear makes the rhythm of the crowd and Tom Cruises own reaction what matters. It's got the small scale perspective of Cloverfield without the nausea of found footage. I don't want to follow the guy who solves the whole thing, I want a schmuck and his family surviving against the odds. That's what disaster movies are about, not the threat itself but the adversity it creates. Dakota Fanning is incredible.

I'd argue she's unattractive, mainly because I think body language and attitude count for more than surgical face symmetry.

I'm trying to imagine if it would have been better or worse to cast Kristen Stewart.

Tom, please. Dame Judi Dench, if she was in the movie, would be playing Krang.

I would watch the fuck out of that movie.

I'd be rooting for Krang. Oh who am I kidding, I'm going to be rooting for Krang regardless if he's in it. Rooting for him to order Rocksteady and Bebop to move the Technodrome

I'd argue she's unattractive, mainly because I think body language and attitude count for more than surgical face symmetry.

I'm trying to imagine if it would have been better or worse to cast Kristen Stewart.

It's impossible to have facial symmetry if you're two dimensional.