Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was down the pub last night with some mates and got talking to this italian guy who is a friend of a friend. Firstly, big movie buff, secondly, huge Buffy fan. However I knew he was solid when I mentioned that our site did big Saw reviews exposing how anti-intellectual those movies are. His response? "Why? Saw deserves only your silence". Couldn't have put it better.

Also managed to convince a friend to check out Veronica Mars. Good night out.

I think I can say with all confidence that Fringe is the greatest sci fi TV series of all time. Holy shit!

There isn't anything better written on TV except maybe Breaking Bad. John Noble is amazing. And I actually like Joshua Jackson on this show.

I think I can say with all confidence that Fringe is the greatest sci fi TV series of all time. Holy shit!

There isn't anything better written on TV except maybe Breaking Bad. John Noble is amazing. And I actually like Joshua Jackson on this show.

I'm two episodes in, and this is my new show to exercise to.

What's funny, Des, is as I was watching Fringe today, I kept thinking of you, because John Noble is clearly channeling his inner Vincent Price.

I really do think Fringe is the best Sci-Fi series that has aired in the paste 20 years with the potential exceptions of Battlestar Galactica or Deep Space 9. It really helps that it doesn't feel like the myth arc is ever being phoned in and that the twists to the plotline is planned out. The last season isn't the greatest ending but it's entertaining and smart enough that it really does work out.

I've watched all of Fringe but I've never considered it on that level. It's a solid 3/5 show that reuses a lot of tricks from Abrams previous shows (the main storyline from the end of season 3 through season 4 is almost entirely a retread of a major plotline in Alias). As for best sci fi, I'd put Battlestar, DS9, Farscape and Firefly ahead of it. It's a Sliders level show, fun to watch once but nothing I'd revisit later on.

I fucking love McCoy. He's my favorite Star Trek character of all time, because he tells it like it is, he's the best there is at what he does, he takes his work super seriously, and he has absolutely zero time for anybody's shit. Hell, the man's about to die here, and what does he do? He tells Khan the best way to kill him. So cold and so badass.

He's a really interesting character. He's a Southern gentleman (more pronounced when he's either been drinking or is under the influence of something), but they don't make him a saint - they obviously toned it way down, but in Season One he's not just gently ribbing Spock for his Vulcan-ness. He's outright racist towards him.

I assume that was a part of why it got toned down. Roddenberry also had a whole "the human race is awesome" thing happening, and McCoy was an effective mouthpiece for that.

However, Spcok/McCoy will never be equaled. Spock saying something to get under McCoy's skin and then refusing to acknowledge that he is getting any degree of satisfaction from McCoy's rage only serves to enrage McCoy even more. None of of the spinoffs managed to get a relationship that even came close.

I assume that was a part of why it got toned down. Roddenberry also had a whole "the human race is awesome" thing happening, and McCoy was an effective mouthpiece for that.

However, Spcok/McCoy will never be equaled. Spock saying something to get under McCoy's skin and then refusing to acknowledge that he is getting any degree of satisfaction from McCoy's rage only serves to enrage McCoy even more. None of of the spinoffs managed to get a relationship that even came close.

They tried with Pulaski/Data but it came off like Pulaski was bullying a guy with Aspergers.