The Dark Knight Rises

annericelover

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fanboys can be such dicks.

Reviews of Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated The Dark Knight Rises are beginning to roll in, and while most of them are good, some critics weren't impressed. Those few dissenting voices have since been the target of so much fan rage on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes that the site was forced to shut down its comments section.

As of early Tuesday afternoon, the final Nolan Batman flick carries an 86 percent rating on the site. Of the 42 reviews posted so far, only six of them are negative. For a while on Monday, the film was sitting at 100 percent positive reviews, though, and when the critical pieces started to trickle in, the fans got mad.

It started Monday morning with critic Marshall Fine's review, which quickly drew fan ire for its criticisms and got so many hits that it crashed his personal website. A short time later, Associated Press critic Christy Lemire posted her take, also a negative review. Things turned sour quickly, with some commenters even leveling threats at the critics (the really bad stuff has since been removed by Rotten Tomatoes adminstrators, but you can see a sampling of the tamer-but-still-mean responses to Lemire's review here).

In the end, it got so bad that Rotten Tomatoes editor-in-chief Matt Atchity was forced to shut down comments on the reviews, and even penned an open letter to the site's users entitled "The Dark Knight Rises: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things," asking everyone to just calm down.

"But if I could ask everyone for one thing, it's this: don't be a dick. Even if you think someone else is being a dick. Just take a deep breath, step away from the computer, and maybe go for a walk. Have a smoke if you need one. There are plenty of other things to get angry about, like war, famine, poverty and crime. But not movie reviews."

Atchity said he hopes to get the comments section up and running Thursday or Friday, when there are more reviews and site visitors have seen the flick for themselves (because, it's worth reminding everyone, most of the people raging against these opinions haven't even seen the movie yet), but he also said the site is considering moving to a Facebook-based commenting system (where comments can't be anonymous) or simply leaving the section shut down altogether.

Big movies with big fan bases tend to drum up this kind of heat, and sometimes the flick's stars even get in on the action, but incidents like this are a good reminder that it's always good to step back, take a deep breath and repeat to yourself, "It's only a movie. It's only a movie."

http://blastr.com/2012/07/dark-knight-rises-so-cont.php

It wasn't bad. It was definitely the Jedi of this trilogy: it provides a satisfying ending arc, it builds upon the promises given before it, it does lose it's way a couple of times but it recovers and proves itself to be a decent film. I will probably see it again this summer.

That said, I sometimes wonder what my life would be like if I didn't have this talent to spot a twist from a mile away and see every step leading up to the reveal and wonder why the protagonists can't? Seriously, you should see me with a mystery novel. I usually have the solution within the halfway point unless the author is deliberately withholding clues. When I watch or read something and it's able to fool while presenting evidence along the way, then I genuinely feel so fucking giddy. The ending made me feel slightly giddy and that's all I'm going to say on the matter until the end of the weekend.

As I said on Facebook, I loved it. It did everything right, and, no joke--it allowed me to finally forget about that abortion of a Bane portrayal from Batman and Robin.

I love in the B&R commentary you guys did when you said "Bane will probably never be seen on film again."

THREE YEARS LATER...

The Dark Knight Rises was ... wow. Just wow. I cannot adequately describe how amazing and entertaining it was for me, as big of a Batman fan as I am.

My one complaint is that they changed the sound mix of the 6 minute prologue sequence. They left one line the same from Hardy's performance from the original release. I heard the original and it was perfect the way it was. And now you've got guys shouting in an airplane where the ambience is turned down big time so it sounds like they have no need to shout. I really hope they change it back for the blu-ray release.

Out of the trilogy, The Dark Knight is the best. But that is nothing against nor does it take anything away from The Dark Knight Rises. I can't wait to see it again tonight! And then in Imax!

Um, it was good and I enjoyed it, but I think this film had its flaws.

My main problem is sadly Bane. The voice was bad. I was having a hard time understanding the dialogue and I was not alone. I went with four friends and they were all having the same problems. I got a general feeling while going through the crowd that most people had that problem. The overdubbed vocals were distracting to begin with for me personally and kinda pulled me out of the film.

And I am going to contradict myself here, but I think the film was too long and yet, felt rushed. While it doesn't have the boat scene of TDK that I can clearly point to as the 'this could have been edited down' scene of the movie, I do feel that some scene dragged. Bigger than that, it felt rushed as certain things happened just because they needed to, more than a progression of the story.

And the returning supporting characters all seemed to get nothing to do. And that is kinda sad.

Typing this out, it seems like I am down on the movie. But I'm not. I did enjoy the film, but like I said, it does have its flaws.

Perfect ending to the series, that manages to both meet and defy expectations.

I'll agree with Prof in that I did feel there were some pacing issues at times, that probably could've been fixed with a little tightening of the script, and there's one throwaway point that I'm a little miffed over, but you know what? The rest of the film makes up for it. Especially loved the way they worked in some of the references, and the cameos.

There were times I had trouble understanding Bane, but for the most part, I felt he was understandable.

Went to the IMAX, and man, if you can go to one, do it. There are some scenes that I think would suffer from a smaller screen. Just be sure that your projectionist knows what he's doing. We lost five minutes of sound cause ours couldn't figure out how the sound worked. :/ Plus, no trailers!

Probably going to end up seeing this a few more times. Well done, Nolan.