The Dark Knight Rises

annericelover

Just saw it for the first time.

- Thought this was Bales best performance out of all 3 and maybe that was because he was Bruce just as much as Batman.

- Michael Caine very nearly stole the whole movie though.

- Anne Hathaway nailed it as Catwoman, just perfect in every scene.

- JGL provided a great option as the heir apparent. I liked that they cut to the chase of him knowing the truth.

I thought the ending was fantastic, if it ended with Alfred raising his glass and not seeing Bruce, then there would be questions, but he definitely lived. The explosion at the top of the building as he was flying away with the bomb was the detour for him to get out and set up the auto pilot.

Like The Dark Knight, I thought it was overly complicated in parts, they could have dropped 30 seconds from the chase scene at the end to show some clips of the tunnel being used or more people attempting to fleeing the city. But these are just main gripes, everything does tie together, you just have to be patient.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was said in some promo material that The Dark Knight takes place six months after Batman Begins. Joker in TDK says that "a year ago" Batman didn't exist, so that at least puts an upper limit on it.

It's implied (or maybe directly said?) in Rises that Bruce stopped being Batman after taking the blame for Harvey's death, thus his full active time as Batman only lasted six months to a year, not counting the bits we see of him active in Rises. (which might add up to a few extra months)

Talia could be late 20's with Bane being around 8-10 years older than her conceivably. No way he's younger than his late 30's at this point though.

Saw it again with someone who was very much uninitiated, to the point that she asked if this was still part of the continuing story from the 90's films. You get some interesting perspectives from someone so outside the comic book bubble.

I did watch for a few things that irritated me from the first time to make sure I was right. There's a couple of early scenes, I think the one between Bruce and Blake is where it struck me most, where the editing is astonishingly poor. Like they cobbled it together because they drastically undershot the scene and couldn't quite cover transitions where characters did simple things like move in the space or stand up. It doesn't pop up later in the film but it really hit me around that point. Also they're no longer pretending that Gotham is it's own city. It's New York. You can't shoot that iconic skyline or central park and expect to hide it. Chicago was a far better anonymous city for the average filmgoer.

It doesn't really help that Gotham has always been very specifically an island city like NY, and that its island status is so incredibly important to a lot of storylines. Chicago being a normal landlocked city doesn't really fit. On the other hand, Chicago will now fit perfectly with Metropolis, which (although still being an island in the comics) is usually treated like a normal coastal city in storylines.

Also the stock market chase has an 8 minute clock on it but when it starts it's day and when it ends it's night. Again, I forgive these errors because thematically and emotionally the film is consistent and strong, but you can find a ton of these sort of things if you want.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

10 Reasons the Next Batman Movie Should be Batman Beyond

2. You know they're going to want a younger Batman, and this is an actually cool way to do it.

9. The snarktastic relationship between Bruce and Terry deserves to be brought back

I'd love a Batman Beyond movie, my only issue with it is that people might think of it as a continuance of the Nolanverse. Think of the awesome actors over 60 you could tempt with the role of mentor Bruce Wayne. Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, Ed Harris, Frank Langella or someone like David Morse.

I'd love a Batman Beyond movie, my only issue with it is that people might think of it as a continuance of the Nolanverse. Think of the awesome actors over 60 you could tempt with the role of mentor Bruce Wayne. Clint Eastwood.

I'd buy a ticket for ten showings, if they ever got Clint Eastwood to play old Bruce.

People are still asking about where Batman Forever and the other Batman films come into the Nolanverse, so you're going to get people (Who watch films, and really don't give a shit about continuity or universes) asking those sorts of questions, no matter what WB does with the franchise next.

• 3 months later...

I mean the extras in the background fighting, not the DVD extras. It's hilarious to see all these people who are doing movie fighting without the help of editing.

You had to point this out. I noticed it earlier, most of the extras do a three punch combo, then reverse, then the other person hits three shots, and they just repeat the process.

The one thing that bothered me, was the thing brought up in Honest Trailers, where the screen changes for the IMAX scenes, it's slightly annoying seeing it change from full screen, to letterbox and back to full screen, especially at the end, where the cut back and forth between the two about three or four times.

Otherwise, the blu-ray really pretty to watch.