The Dark Knight Rises

annericelover

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I spent ages thinking "Bloody hell, Lee Evans is in this" and then I look it up and realise it's the guy who played Owen Harper in Torchwood. I knew I recognised him, those two could be brothers.

I'm struggling to think of a better movie trilogy right now. This is the first time that I can recall a third installant living up to the hype of the first two. Brilliantly epic and an excellent interpretation of the comic book characters.

I'm too close to it to judge how it stands next to the other two. But even though I already watched Batman Begins a couple of days ago I'm very tempted to throw it back in, watch that and Dark Knight and then go see this again tomorrow.

Thoughts and best bits-

-Crane, piled atop his chaotic mess of a judges table. Not only a great cameo, but also a fantastic example of the more elaborate comic-book imagery being incorporated by Nolan. Amazing work. -The two moments I got a lump in my throat. Firstly when Batman sacrifices himself. Secondly when Michael Caine is crying at the grave. The second one really hit home, since Alfred's been so essential to this whole story, and to see him stricken by failure is horrible.

-Anne Hathaway. Finally Catwoman makes sense in every way. She's cool, capable, clever and real. Plus she makes that suit look really really good.

-Bane. His schemes follow the patterns laid out by Ra's and Joker but also surpassed them. Ra's looked to tear the city apart and Joker battled for it's soul not truly caring if he killed 5 or 50 as long as it helped his point. Bane wants to do both, to prove the city beyond saving as though that justifies its impending destruction at his hands. I'm so happy they got Bane right, and Hardy is hugely intimidating in the role.

I have one or two things in the back of my mind about key factors in this film that didn't quite work, as well as issues with it being if anything too short (some conversations seemed very clipped) but I'll reserve that stuff until I see it again. Plus I'm on a high, no need to come down any time soon.

On Michael Caine:

I actually started crying when he left Bruce. I half expected him to show up in some epic way during the last battle, but his appearance during the epilogue, and moving on with his life, was perfect for him. Though, I honestly half expected him to walk over to Bruce and choke him out when he showed up with Selina in Florence.

When it gets down to it, Talia's plan is more complicated than Joker's ever was. The difference is that some of the aspects of it are more realistic in their variables. Let me break it down.

Step 1: Develop the fusion reactor

Step 2: Convert it into a bomb to blow up Gotham.

Complication: Bruce shuts down the project and probably hides the results.

Step 2: Continue to keep a good face, start to worm your way into Wayne Enterprises.

Step 3: Bane kidnaps the Doctor who learned how to convert the reactor.

Step 4: Bane and other agents infiltrate Daggett's workings, start converting Gotham into a powder keg.

Step 5: Hire a jewel thief to steal Bruce Wayne's fingerprints, knowing it will provoke him into becoming Batman again.

Step 6: Ruin Bruce Wayne. If complication happens, continue efforts to seduce him and gain access to the reactor location that way.

Step 7: Get location of Reactor. Alternatively, if Wayne does nothing, seduce him and use Bane to control Daggett.

Step 8: Break the Bat.

Step 9: Take the reactor and cut off Gotham and start the slow burn.

Step 10: Blow up Gotham.

You can see some of the alternate plans that Talia had in place. I know I'm probably reading more into it than necessary but I can honestly see some of the alternate plans getting set up. Talia showed herself capable of thinking on the fly.

On Michael Caine:

I actually started crying when he left Bruce. I half expected him to show up in some epic way during the last battle, but his appearance during the epilogue, and moving on with his life, was perfect for him. Though, I honestly half expected him to walk over to Bruce and choke him out when he showed up with Selina in Florence.

Hahahahaha

All of Alfred's scene in the movie got me emotional. Especially the one at the end

at the gravesite of Bruce. You felt soooooooooooooo bad for him, which made the final ending all the more uplifting.

I liked it much, much better than Dark Knight, and bit more than Batman Begins.

-Bruce looked ROUGH at the beginning, which was wonderful.

-Bane was pitch perfect. Some of his dialog was lost admittedly, but, he was an amazing, brutal, effective villain. Highlights include: Him making the Dent reveal. Both times he beat the holy fuck out of Bruce. His helping Talia escape was such a great, great moment.

-Talia was really, really obvious, but I do like how she was built into both Ra's and Bane's backstories.

-Catwoman was great. Hathaway was smoking hot, and she managed to switch between shy girly victim and powerful woman perfectly. I really, really love what was done with her. My only gripe is Bruce came to trust her far, far too quickly. She stole his mom's fucking pearls.

-Alfred... Just fucking Alfred. Caine was in the movie a lot less than the previous ones, but he was amazing. He never outright supported Bruce as Batman, and the way it came to a head in this film was perfect. The scene with him at the Wayne's gravesite was heartbreaking.

-Gordon has never been better. His last scene in the hospital was great.

-JGL was very good, the way he figured Bruce out bothered me until his full name was revealed. Then it became a great reference to Tim Drake.

-Crane and Ra's were both wonderful to see, as well.

-I know why they didn't, but I really, really wish we could have had a scene of Bane in Blackgate, walking by a locked cell, blacked out window. He asks someone, "Who's in there?" They just say, "The Clown." Bane shudders and says, "Leave him locked up." Let's us know Joker is still around, even though he can't be in the film and it shows Bane is aware of the damage Joker could have done to his plan.

-No Man's Land was a welcome surprise, but the cops come out of the sewers after five months with perfectly clean uniforms, and need no medical attention or time to readjust to the light?

-And the ending was 100% what the Nolan Batverse needed. A new Batman in Gotham and a happy ending for Bruce Wayne. I didn't expect that at all, but it was truly heartwarming.

Awesome movie. Loved it.

Also, here's why my girlfriend is awesome:

Selina has a young "lady of the evening" friend.

GF: Stick around for the credits. I want to see who that is.

Me: Yeah, I now. The actress looks familiar. I don't know where I've seen her before.

GF: No, that's true, but I meant I want to see if it's Holly from Year One.

Also, here's this:

2012-07-23-rise.png

He was trained by the League of Shadows. Not only that but the big thing is that Wayne Manor is located off of the Island that Gotham is on. Just as easy for him to slip back to the manor and grab what he can and get into the city. Grappling line would be the kicker here since there's enough of the bridges's infrastructure to probably repel across. Should be easy enough to break back into a city.

More spoilery thoughts:

-If JGL ends up being the next Batman, I would love that. I would've loved to see him in the suit, but the final shot of the trilogy was a fitting one.

-Gordon. Goddamn, man. The moment when he realized Bruce Wayne was Batman, and that amazingly badass scene of his in the hospital? Yes, please.

-Tate=Talia was ridiculously telegraphed. Would've preferred the reveal pushed up by a half hour or so, cause we didn't get that much of Cotillard being a stone cold bitch.

-My only gripe with the ending is this: Besides Bruce being WAY too quick to trust Selina, there's a small matter of how they got out of the country, even with a clean slate. Bruce is still broke at the end, and the only way they could've managed to get out involves fencing Selina's stolen goods. And even though Bruce probably inevitably got an honest job very quickly in Florence (I see the ending with Alfred happening maybe three to six months tops after the battle in Gotham), it doesn't seem like something that would sit well with him.

-Bane. Holy fuck, Bane. YES. His first fight with Batman is one of my favorite moments in the film. Also, I've seen a lot of bitching on the interwebs that his and Talia's relationship makes him a lackey. Uhm, fuck no. That is a relationship of equals that we see in the last ten minutes or so that he's on screen. Also gives a lot of his actions a new spin.

-The references to Killer Croc and Crane's cameo in this are wonderful.

-Alfred. ALFRED. That is all.

-If they want to do a Catwoman spinoff starring Anne Hathaway like Nolan mentioned? I will watch the fuck out of that.

-Also, if they wanted to keep this going somehow, here's a way to do it: one of Blake's first big villains is a kid trained by the League of Assassins who's like Batman reflected through a dark mirror - who turns out to be the test tube baby of Talia and Bruce (she was WAY too busy of a lady to actually subject herself to pregnancy). Just saying.

Also, re: Joker: Nolan apparently didn't want any reference to him due to the whole Ledger thing. But what Preston suggested would've been nice if they didn't want to skirt around it.