Episode 73

RSS

A couple goofs I noticed on Twilight - first was that given the continuity with STAS - Forager appeared with the rest of the New Gods in Apokolips Now!, and he clearly doesn't have that status here.

Also, when Batman and Wonder Woman are fighting the worm, she lassos its head. It then knocks her out and stretches its mouth open. There's a clear snap as if a rope breaking. Forager then hits it with the bomb, picks up Wonder Woman, and he and Batman exercise the better part of valor. When she wakes up and stands, the lasso is coiled on her right hip, despite being broken and left behind. Well, it is magic, after all...

I don't think we every see Orion as genuinely happy as in the beginning of this episode. Seriously, look at his smile - that's joy. Nothing like dropping large masses at orbital speed on Father's citadel to feel all warm and fuzzy.

Couple bits of characterization that I liked. First, when Darkseid has just attacked Superman. He tells Brainiac that he upheld his part of the bargain, and that now Brainiac needs to leave Apokolips alone. That's right, Darkseid offering tribute in exchange for peace. Brainiac's a supercomputer and he can't figure out how out of character that is? Even if it wasn't foreordained, you know at that point that Darkseid's going to screw Brainiac over.

The line about "The next time I let Superman be in charge..." is funny, but...didn't Superman have a different plan then what happened? Something along the lines of "Darkseid can bloody well shove off"? Little unfair to blame it on him. I did like the interplay - especially the "You're not always right" line - because that was dead on. Superman was right that this was a plot, and Darkseid did come back (albeit with help). It's not often that someone gets to say that to Batman, and it's nice to hear.

Without debating about whether Superman "won" the fight or not, though, I did want to balance out something Mike said. Yes, Darkseid had already faced Hawkgirl and Orion, which may have meant he wasn't at his freshest. However, Superman got blasted by the combined efforts of Brainiac and Darkseid, then spread-eagled and fried, so I would argue that he's in no better shape - neither of them was at their peak, but I wouldn't say that Superman had an advantage because of that.

Chris

Without debating about whether Superman "won" the fight or not, though, I did want to balance out something Mike said. Yes, Darkseid had already faced Hawkgirl and Orion, which may have meant he wasn't at his freshest. However, Superman got blasted by the combined efforts of Brainiac and Darkseid, then spread-eagled and fried, so I would argue that he's in no better shape - neither of them was at their peak, but I wouldn't say that Superman had an advantage because of that.

I was gonna say that, too. Darkseid won the fight in Apokolips Now, Superman won the Legacy fight, and I'd say that Supes was about to win the fight in Twilight as well.

Also, I totally don't agree that Darkseid was going to win the fight in Destroyer. Supes was on the ground writhing in pain, but I'd be willing to bet that Superman could overcome that by the time Darkseid could get close enough to use the knife.

And, to be fair, Darkseid was enhanced with Braniac-tech at that point, and needed to resort to using that pain device. If not for his "enhancements," he never would have stood a chance.

...on the other hand, that means Tony Stark never won a fight in his life, because he always resorts to using that Iron Man device. Weapons are certainly a fair part of combat

Kinda, but my point is that it's not part of Darkseid's regular arsenal; he had to bulk up. (and become physically enhanced by Braniac)

...the fact that Darkseid used one instead of pure hand to hand combat just means he's smart enough to read part of the Evil Overlord List (Not enough of it, though, otherwise he'd know to stop making speeches and just kill Kal-El).

To be fair, I think monologuing is also part of the Evil Overlord Handbook. :P

And hey, having allies help out (like Metron did) is also part of the Superhero Handbook, so maybe it all evens out in the end.

To be fair, I think monologuing is also part of the Evil Overlord Handbook. :P

And hey, having allies help out (like Metron did) is also part of the Superhero Handbook, so maybe it all evens out in the end.

40. I will be neither chivalrous nor sporting. If I have an unstoppable superweapon, I will use it as early and as often as possible instead of keeping it in reserve.

Took him a while, but he passed this one.

6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

7. When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."

114. I will never accept a challenge from the hero.

115. I will not engage an enemy single-handedly until all my soldiers are dead.

Yeah, not so much. Fail, fail, fail, and fail.

142. If I have children and subsequently grandchildren, I will keep my three-year-old granddaughter near me at all times. When the hero enters to kill me, I will ask him to first explain to her why it is necessary to kill her beloved grandpa. When the hero launches into an explanation of morality way over her head, that will be her cue to pull the lever and send him into the pit of crocodiles. After all, small children like crocodiles almost as much as Evil Overlords and it's important to spend quality time with the grandkids.

Never actually came up - this is just my favorite. :P

Drive home from work let me listen to the last 2 episodes.

In Tabula Rasa, one thing that I noticed that would have slipped by kids is when Mercy is going on about how he gave her control because she'll stay loyal like a dog, but she's done blah blah and of course blah. After he threatens Ivo's location out of her, he says "Good girl" like she was a dog. Gee, and he was surprised she hung up on him.

I've heard complaints that Earth tech (in the form of Amazo) shouldn't be able to replicate a GL ring. Even if it does, how does a robot summon the willpower to use it?

In Only a Dream, I thought the first part had lots of good moments - Flash & J'onn's nap, Volcana and Firefly's banter, GL putting a bubble around two pyros and inviting them to burn their way out, knowing they'll use up the oxygen before they get free, Copperhead trying to convince Grundy not to take the hard way out, the scene with Copperhead and Hawkgirl, J'onn & Superman putting Grundy into orbit. It's just that there isn't a lot of plot underneath it - more just random cool things they wanted to do. I think that's why it seems fun to watch (and is), but it does doesn't seem to measure up to the earlier episodes.

Incidentally, the scene with Hawkgirl and Copperhead also played out in New Warriors #4, in 1990. A villain who was crystalline and controlled bodily functions was holding onto Namorita up in the air. She refused to do what he wanted, so he literally twisted her guts, and she convulsed, throwing him off. He didn't learn how to fly by the time he reached the ground. Flash's speed stopping time (beyond his control) has probably been used several times, but the most recent was in Flash 91, where he used Johnny Quick's speed formula to give him more time to fix something he couldn't easily fix, and couldn't figure out how to slow down (That issue, for Mike and I at least, is also known as "The issue before Impulse shows up")

In GL's dream, most of the writing was gibberish (I looked after I recognized this bit), but there is one sign that reads Humuhumunukuukuapuaa - there's an N missing, but Humuhumunukunukuapua'a is the Hawaiian name for the reef triggerfish, our state fish.

There were a couple more bits that show they're turning Flash into a more balanced character - first, the scene with Hawkgirl at the end of the first part, and then, at the beginning of the second part, he's hanging out entertaining a bunch of kids (prelude to Comfort and Joy). Before the Swedish Bikini Team shows up to keep him company, that is. I also liked the comment on the difficulty someone like Flash has in fighting giants when they call out the part of Doctor Destiny they'll attack:

GL: "I'll take his eyes!"

Superman: "Gut!"

Flash: "Big toe!"

If I seem even more Flash-centric then usual (Really, how would you tell), it's because I just got my copy of Shirley Walker's soundtrack to the Flash TV show. They've released that, BTAS, Mask of The Phantasm (extended version) and the new DCU movies, so I'm still hoping for those STAS and Justice League soundtracks (I have both Batman Beyond and Return Of The Joker from the first time around).

Chris

In Tabula Rasa, one thing that I noticed that would have slipped by kids is when Mercy is going on about how he gave her control because she'll stay loyal like a dog, but she's done blah blah and of course blah. After he threatens Ivo's location out of her, he says "Good girl" like she was a dog. Gee, and he was surprised she hung up on him.

Nice catch!

I've heard complaints that Earth tech (in the form of Amazo) shouldn't be able to replicate a GL ring. Even if it does, how does a robot summon the willpower to use it?

I don't think he copied the ring exactly. He just made something like it.

Volcana and Firefly's banter

That was funny.

(That issue, for Mike and I at least, is also known as "The issue before Impulse shows up")

:yes:

There were a couple more bits that show they're turning Flash into a more balanced character - first, the scene with Hawkgirl at the end of the first part, and then, at the beginning of the second part, he's hanging out entertaining a bunch of kids (prelude to Comfort and Joy). Before the Swedish Bikini Team shows up to keep him company, that is.

He's quickly (no pun intended) becoming a very well-rounded character.

I also liked the comment on the difficulty someone like Flash has in fighting giants when they call out the part of Doctor Destiny they'll attack

Meant to mention that, 'cause it made me laugh out loud.