Greatest horror villains of all time

Missy

Cash and I are putting together a list of the greatest horror movie villains of all time, and we need your help. Below you will find an alphabetized list of villains, and we'd like you to rank the top 30 of them from best (at the top) to worst (at the bottom). Remember, we're not asking you to name the best horror film/series; just the villains.

If you feel a certain character was unduly left off, feel free to add them to the list and rank them wherever you see fit. Lastly, go ahead and explain your votes/ranks if you so wish (but you don't need to).

Thanks for the help.

Aliens :: Alien

Annabelle Loren :: House on Haunted Hill (1959)

Angela Baker :: Sleepaway Camp series

Annie Wilkes :: Misery

Audrey II :: Little Shop of Horrors (1960)

Birds :: The Birds

Blacula :: Blacula

The Blair Witch :: The Blair Witch Project series

The blob :: The Blob (1958)

The blob :: The Blob (1988)

Buffalo Bill :: The Silence of the Lambs

Candyman :: Candyman series

Carrie White :: Carrie (1976)

Carrie White :: Carrie (2002)

The children :: Children of the Corn series

Christine :: Christine

Chucky/Charles Lee Ray :: Child's Play series

Cujo :: Cujo

Damien :: The Omen series

David :: The Lost Boys

Deacon Frost :: Blade

Dead girl :: The Ring

Dead girl :: Ringu

Dolls :: Dolls

Dr. Henry Frankenstein :: [consider all versions as one]

Dracula :: [consider all versions as one]

The evil dead :: Evil Dead

Fisherman :: I Know What You Did Last Summer series

The Fly/Seth Brundle :: The Fly (1986)

Freddy Krueger :: A Nightmare on Elm Street series

Ghostface :: Scream series

Gill-Man :: Creature from the Black Lagoon

Hannibal Lecktor :: Manhunter (aka Red Dragon; 1986)

Hannibal Lecter :: The Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal/Red Dragon (2002)

Henry Lee Lucas :: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

The house :: The Amityville Horror (1979)

The infected :: 28 Days Later

Jack Torrance :: The Shining (1980)

Jack Torrance :: The Shining (1997)

Jason Voorhees :: Friday the 13th series

Jigsaw :: Saw

John Doe :: Se7en

Leatherface :: Texas Chainsaw Massacre series (1974)

Leatherface :: Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

Leprechaun :: Leprechaun series

Lestat de Lioncourt :: Interview with a Vampire

Max Cady :: Cape Fear (1962)

Max Cady :: Cape Fear (1991)

Michael Myers :: Halloween series

Mr. Hyde :: [consider all versions as one]

The Mummy :: [consider all versions as one]

Norman Bates :: Psycho series (1960)

Norman Bates :: Psycho (1998)

Oil slick :: Creepshow 2 ("The Raft")

Old Chief Wood'nhead :: Creepshow 2 ("Old Chief Wood'nhead")

Pamela Voorhees :: Friday the 13th

Patrick Bateman :: American Psycho

Pazuzu :: The Exorcist series

Pennywise :: It

Pinhead :: Hellraiser series

The poltergeist :: Poltergeist series

Predators :: Predator series

Pumpkinhead :: Pumpkinhead

Rapists :: I Spit on Your Grave (aka Day of the Woman)

Richard Straker :: Salem's Lot (1979)

Richard Straker :: Salem's Lot (2004)

Satan :: Rosemary's Baby

The shark :: Jaws series

Stephen and Evelyn Stockard-Price :: House on Haunted Hill (1999)

Stripe :: Gremlins

The Tall Man :: Phantasm series

The Thing :: The Thing (aka The Thing From Another World; 1951)

The Thing :: The Thing (1982)

Werewolf/David Kessler :: An American Werewolf in London

Werewolf/Eddie Quist :: The Howling

Werewolf/Will Randall :: Wolf

Zombies :: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Zombies :: Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead series (1968/1978/1985)

Zombies :: Night of the Living Dead (1990)

EDIT

If you received a PM regarding this topic, disregard it and post your responses here.

Edited by Master Yoda

When Cash and I first came up with the list I had asked him if it was indeed called Audrey II back then or just "the plant". Neither of us could recall, so I went with what's posted. If someone can confirm if it had a name in the original, I will change it.

My Top 30 are listed below, but only the first ten have been given descriptions.

01. John Doe :: Se7en -- He won. He setout to commit a series of crimes and to tell a story of moral depravity through them, and he did just that. No one, not even the heroes, could stop him. No one else on this list can claim as much. Plus... the head.

02. Henry Lee Lucas :: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer -- Chills. Chills ran up my arms and spine during the first rape scene and I was enraged by the murder of the helpful motorist. And just when you think Henry might have reformed... the suitcase. The fact that this is (in part) based on a real man adds to the sheer horror of it all.

03. Jack Torrance :: The Shining (1980) -- This one strikes a cord with me on a personal level. As a writer I know how frustrating it can be to hit a creative wall, and just when you think you're about to make a break through... someone or something interrupts you (RE: family or work). Jack's slow build towards madness seemingly starts off as aggravation stemming from just that (as well as his alcoholism and cabin fever), but all Hell breaks loose and Jack's inner demons explode in one frightening moment when the ghosts of the Overlook Hotel fully sink their claws into him. The fact that this could be any man turning on his family is what makes Jack ring true.

04. Annie Wilkes :: Misery -- Annie doesn't come off as a villain at first. An obsessed fan, maybe. But not a villain. And much like Jack Torrance before her, it's the slow reveal and the "this could be someone I know" quality that makes her so damn frightening. That, and the sledgehammer!

05. Norman Bates :: Psycho series (1960) -- I keep repeating myself but I find I have to say it again: Norman is another one of those unassuming fellows who might be a little eccentric, but hardly seems murderous. And then one day they're pulling a car from the bog behind his hotel and his mother's corpse from the basement of his house, and you're left to quake in your boots.

06. Patrick Bateman :: American Psycho -- Bateman has it all: money and a lucrative job, women and friends, a lush apartment and more women. But he isn't satisfied. He craves blood and, worse yet, can hardly control his bloodlust. And when he finally cracks and reveals the truth... the world won't have it. They think he's joking, so his lust for blood continues unabashed and there's nothing he (who's very afraid of it) or those around him (who continue to think he's as normal as them) can do about it.

07. Leatherface :: Texas Chainsaw Massacre series (1974) -- The hook! 'Nuff said.

08. Pamela Voorhees :: Friday the 13th -- There isn't much that's more frightening or vicious than a mother gone mad with revenge. And, unlike her undead son, Pamela's trail of blood lasted for one film and ended before she or her rampage could become clichéd.

09. Chucky/Charles Lee Ray :: Child's Play series -- Much like the original A Nightmare on Elm Street, the first Child's Play was sans humor. It was only when everyone realized the ridiculousness of a killer doll that the producers filled the script with stupid jokes and gag kills. Despite that, Chucky's reign of terror is more frightening than Freddy's mainly because he stalked a child. While Freddy went after teens in their dreams, Charles Lee Ray took on the form of an unassuming (there's that word again) doll and plotted to posses the body of a young boy so as to become human again. Even though Chucky has become quite a joke, the idea of a knife-wielding doll (especially one that has an uncanny resemblance to My Buddy) remains very, very horrific.

10. Freddy Krueger :: A Nightmare on Elm Street series -- If being a child molester in his human form wasn't bad enough, he rose from the dead to become a killer of teens in the dream world. The sheer fact that Freddy kills you when you're at your most vulnerable proves just how vile a man he is. Worse yet, he can seemingly control the dream world, making your escape nigh impossible. Additionally, he sticks out from the rest of the slasher pack based solely on his homemade weapon of choice.

11. Damien :: The Omen series

12. Aliens :: Alien

13. Michael Myers :: Halloween series

14. Jason Voorhees :: Friday the 13th series

15. The Blair Witch :: The Blair Witch Project series

16. Dracula :: [consider all versions as one]

17. Hannibal Lecter :: The Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal/Red Dragon (2002)

18. Max Cady :: Cape Fear (1991)

19. Pazuzu :: The Exorcist series

20. Stripe :: Gremlins

21. Carrie White :: Carrie (1976)

22. The poltergeist :: Poltergeist series

23. Pinhead :: Hellraiser series

24. Pennywise :: It

25. David :: The Lost Boys

26. Zombies :: Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead series (1968/1978/1985)

27. Candyman :: Candyman series

28. Dr. Henry Frankenstein :: [consider all versions as one]

29. Birds :: The Birds

30. Angela Baker :: Sleepaway Camp series

Edited by Master Yoda

• 4 weeks later...

I have all the lists in; now I just need to finish compiling the data. Once that's done, Cash and I can start writing the piece. I'm not sure what his schedule is (What's your schedule, Cash?), but I know if I don't get it done before this weekend, it won't run until February.