Episode 74

RSS

Here's the way naming goes in monarchy.

-The successive monarch is to be the first born son, if the monarchy produces no male heirs then the first born daughter will become the monarch

-If a man becomes monarch he is the king, his wife will become queen.

-If a woman becomes monarch she is the queen, her husband will become a prince.

Modern Day Example: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip of The British Empire.

A Better World most definitely had future stories in mind. I mean, the episode ends with Lex practically looking into the camera and saying "I AM NOW STARTING A CHARACTER ARC IN WHICH I WILL PURSUE POLITICS."

And hey, the episode premiered less than a year before JLU, so it's entirely possible that they were laying the groundwork already, even if they didn't know that the show was going to be re-formatted into single-part episodes.

Well the thing about that is that on he commentary they said that they thought up to Starcrossed was gonna be it for them. They really didn't know they were going to do JLU.

My thing is that barring that it's still a fantastic episode.

To Mike and James:

To me "A Better World" was a sorta of great episode. Pt. 2 with Flash and Ivy was great, and Kevin Conroy doing both Batman and Lord Batman at the same time was brilliant. We'll see this again in "Once and Future King." Speaking of Batman Beyond...In Lord Batman's Batcave, Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin's costumes are in the same storage as in BB. What do you think happened to them in the past two years?

You also forgot to mention that the Big Three weren't in "Heart and Minds." I didn't like the episode either, but Mike's pronouncing Despero's name was funny. I thought he was taking about the evil princess in Winx Club or the mouse hero in that movie that was out last couple of years.

Keep up the good work guys!

4 points (I only made it through Maid of Honor on the way to work).

1) Flash would not explode in space - and space isn't cold. It has no temperature. He would lose heat by radiation (giving off IR), but most of our heat loss is by conduction (heat moving directly into surrounding molecules - none of those in space) and convection (air currents taking heat - think windchill). Lack of oxygen will kill you hours before cold will. He would probably have lots of burst capillaries over his body. They also had him react correctly - his mouth was wide open, so air escapes through his mouth and nose rather than trying to force its way out. As to the example James gave of not being able to hold his breath as long as the scene - can most people hold their breath voluntarily for 90 seconds? No. Can you survive asphyxiation for 90 seconds? Happens all the time. You've got about 6 minutes before brain deat (brain being one of the most metabolically active organs, and therefore most sensitive to oxygen deprivation). The other thing that may happen is the bends - the pressure difference between sea level and vacuum is about the same as the difference between sea level and 33-35 feet below sea level. If you've been at that depth long enough, and suddenly ascend, you can get the bends. I would chalk up the lack of bends to Flash's metabolism healing him quickly. I hate to say it (and don't want this to be a repeat of the infamous black hole discussion), but I think this is a case of bad Hollywood science warping expectations. They actually got the science right.

2) I would suspect there's some residual sexism involved, but a king is always a monarch, while a queen may or may not be an actual ruler. That's why a king's wife is automatically a queen, because everyone know's he is the actual ruler. If a reigning queen marries, her husband may be a duke, prince, prince consort, but something other than a king, to clarify that the queen is the actual monarch.

3) As to the meteor that would destroy Paris only taking out the castle, the (admittedly thin) justification I can offer is that there aren't a lot of near earth objects that are city busters. Maybe Savage was going to send a number of rocks to wipe out Paris, but only got one off before the League interfered. Best I can come up with.

4)I agree that GL's "Military knows the risk" bit was over the top. Balancing the "make the hard decisions" argument is the fact that he was military. What happened to never leave a battle buddy? Soldiers (and, I would assume, Marines as well) are trained to watch out for each other. They don't want to negotiate with terrorists, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to do whatever they can to rescue their fellow soldiers.

Chris

-The successive monarch is to be the first born son, if the monarchy produces no male heirs then the first born daughter will become the monarch

Modern Day Example: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip of The British Empire.

(The Commonwealth btw. No longer do we have an "Empire" as such)

I may have an email for this ep, if I remember to do so, but I love the image of Jay Leno as Hitler! All I'd say though is that would mean Conan O'Brien was an immortal caveman villain....

Guest DCAUFan1051

I may have an email for this ep, if I remember to do so, but I love the image of Jay Leno as Hitler! All I'd say though is that would mean Conan O'Brien was an immortal caveman villain....

It's soooo easy even a caveman can do it.

Isn't "The Immortal Caveman Villains" the name of that new band from LA?

Oh, and Vandal wouldn't be king just by marrying the Queen. Queen Elizabeth II's husband is the Prince-Consort, as was Queen Victoria's. Its all to do with power-relationships, Kings trump queens so when the queen the is genuine bloodline heir she gets top billing and the husband gets the Prince-consort title. If a King were to marry then his wife would be queen because queens are subordinate to kings.

As no one else pointed this out. Mike (in his short thought processing) takes notes and watches episodes at the same time. It's the reason why he misses important scenes or lines of dialouge like the explaination for the meteorite hitting the castle instead of Paris.

Batman changed the targeting coordinates while him and The League were trying to stop the railgun from firing.

As no one else pointed this out. Mike (in his short thought processing) takes notes and watches episodes at the same time. It's the reason why he misses important scenes or lines of dialouge like the explaination for the meteorite hitting the castle instead of Paris.

Batman changed the targeting coordinates while him and The League were trying to stop the railgun from firing.

In fairness, if all of us paused an episode/movie we were reviewing to make a note, the note-taking process would be agonizingly long - especially if it's an episode/movie we've seen many times before. Making a podcast is a three step process of prepping, recording and editing, which can really drag on if it's done on a weekly/fortnightly basis.