Episode 07

RSS

In the second part of March's Musicals & Mobsters theme, Desmond and Megan are joined by commentator Darryll for a mind-bogglingly ridiculous look at Martin Scorsese's 1990 masterpiece, Goodfellas. Then the couple go it alone for the cornea-searing spectacle of Baz Luhrman's 2001 film, Moulin Rouge. How many times does Darryll slap himself in the face? Megan enjoys the mobster lifestyle quite a lot until, you know, the bad parts. But that's kind of the point. Megan hates rats and that's also kind of the point. What does cocaine do to the male anatomy? Megan likes watching movies with Darryll because he talks. What the hell happened to the Godfather review? What does Megan's Robocop dream consist of? And we all know how Megan feels about the Kidman / McGregor vehicle, but what does Desmond think of it? Seriously, people, strap in. After Megan's startling announcement about the future of their relationship, this might be the final episode of Married to Movies. [ 1:03:48 || 29.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/marriedtomovies/episodes/marriedtomovies_007.mp3

At the second part of this. There's a reason my friends and I refer to this as ADD the Musical. And don't watch it without heavy drinking and mocking involved.

Surprised you guys didn't catch on the part where McGregor's character is probably going to be dying of TB not long after this.

And for the record, it's Academic Decathlon, which may rank slightly more mainstream than debate team in terms of academic geekery. xD (Look it up, pretty sure it's an American thing, but it's pretty fun, especially Super Quiz.)

Also, Megan, for the love of god, don't subject him to Mamma Mia. I'm going to be seeing that on Broadway with Dad and the little sister when we go to NYC for looking at grad school/little sister's birthday (because I couldn't convince her to see Wicked, and Avenue Q was kind of right out, and seeing Lion King like she wanted to didn't quite work out), so maybe it'll be better there, but dear god the raping of my ears by Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan in that movie.

I'll freely admit that the first I saw of Sweeney Todd was the movie (Helena Bonham Carter can't sing, but Johnny Depp can surprisingly well), but when I found the '05 Broadway Revival Recording, and I liked that one better.

Megan - While we were completely at odds on Goodfellas, I agree with you, wholeheartedly, on Moulin Rouge. It's a fun, original, effervescent epic of over-the-top filmmaking, drunk on it's own madness. I've seen it a couple of times with Nadine and we both enjoy it. I appreciate it's classic hollywood set pieces and it's super melodramatic plot reminds me of an old-timey penny dreadful. I can take or leave the music but Ewan and Nicole have great chemistry together. Des will probably audibly slap his own forehead over this post but that's as it should be.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Just curious Des which DVD version of Goodfellas do you have? I found a 2-disc edition last year... it's circa 2004 it says on the back that it's a new digital transfer.