Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Stavros

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like those a lot. Although Jason Shwartzman really isn't what I pictured Ex #7 to look like. Plus, can we stop putting Scwartzman out there as the quirky tough guy/mastermind in these movies? "Rushmore" was a long, long time ago, Hollywood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, now for some real, coherent thoughts.

They compress things a bit but they did it in some ways that genuinely worked very well. Only way the story as it existed would have worked is was to do like three films and that would have felt cheap to me. It does follow the books pretty well until after the Todd fight. Still works pretty well.

Now for what I think was the biggest success of the movie for me: Ellen Wong as Knives. She gets the shy girl across pretty well at the beginning and just blossoms from there. I actually prefer the movies ultimate resolution of the Knives/Scott pairing more than the comic. Scott ends up being a bit less of a Karma Houdini as a result. But yeah, I can see Ellen Wong working for years to come.

If the movie has a failing, I'd say it's Ramona. She's a bit more passive than in the comic. It doesn't mean that she is a terrible character but there are times that I just wondered why her? I was wondering this especially during the final battle but that's coming off the ending of the comic where she gets a crowning moment of awesome.

Overall, I feel like both versions of Scott Pilgrim hold up. I'm going to see this again on Tuesday and I expect it to be just as awesome then. Oh, and Thomas Jane plays one of the Vegan Police.