What the hell is going on with Green Arrow?

Missy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to most of the DC panels at C2E2 this weekend and every one that James Robinson was at, he got asked the question about Lian and all the other drama. You could tell at the first say that James Robinson was all ready be asked about it. He seemed really composed and I am kinda looking forward to the Green Arrow relaunch now, at least enough to give the first issue a try. The basic idea is that Ollie is going to be living in the forest that was created in Brightest Day #0 and trying to find out it's mysteries. As for Lian, someone did give this awesome speech I cannot for the life of me paraphrase but it boiled down to the dynamic of Roy being a father and raising this perfectly normal child while being a superhero and Robinson pretty much made the decision on the spot that one of the heroes is going to have a kid to balance it out.

Both Green Arrow and Promotheus were great characters in concept, and both have had excellent stories, but over time they have been screwed over in the hands of lesser writers. Funny, on Smallville, Green Arrow just escaped from a downward spiral, and now the one in the comics is taking one.

My point, Tom, is that though the Teen Titans book sucks right now, and I'm assuming the Titans book does as well (because I don't read books solely for the point of heroes being naked and sleeping with each other). But the characters we grew to love have moved on to more prominent roles in the DCU. In a sense, they've grown up. Dick can't be in the Titans anymore.

It doesn't make sense for adult heroes to be on a team called the Teen Titans. It's ridiculous. I have no problem with a new cast of teenage heroes, it only shows the book's evolution. It just happens to be totally shitty.

And the JLI thing: Martian Manhunter and Maxwell Lord are back and totally movers and shakers. Guy and Ice, on occasion, are in the best book DC publishes and he's about to be given a bigger role. Booster Gold has had his own popular ongoing for three years. Plus, apparently after Generation Lost, a book starring Captain Atom, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Fire, Ice and Rocket Red, the JLI is making a return to the DCU.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

... wow!

And he makes my point perfectly:

There's no "mature readers" notice on the book, yet Vertigo comics with 1/100th of the degradation get labeled...

Thank you!

If DC wants to publish mature, violent stories in their superhero books, fine. Whatever. But put a damn label on them!

From Tom Brevoort on Twitter:

HAWKEYE & MOCKINGBIRD #1. Guaranteed to have 100% less heroin use and impotence than the average comic starring an archer.

You missed his next Twitter post: Buy it, please. Seriously. I'm pushing for this book but I'm only giving it five issues tops.

From Tom Brevoort on Twitter:

HAWKEYE & MOCKINGBIRD #1. Guaranteed to have 100% less heroin use and impotence than the average comic starring an archer.

You missed his next Twitter post: Buy it, please. Seriously. I'm pushing for this book but I'm only giving it five issues tops.

josephducreuxboomroaste.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I purchased the "cry for justice" hardcover. I was interested in seeing what they did with it. I wasn't expecting much - I actually expected it to be bad. It may be because I had such low expectations for it, but I actually liked it. I don't like that they killed Lian, though, and think it could have worked just as well had she gone missing instead. Then DC can bring her back at some point without resorting to resurrection or time travel or something.

It made a lot of sense for Green Arrow to kill Prometheus. His city had been devastated, his adopted son maimed, and his granddaughter murdered. If Prometheus was allowed to live, there's a good chance he would do this again, as someone else brought up earlier. There should have been a reference to Dr. Light though.

Making Arsenal a heroin addict in the aftermath, though, is bovine feces. It's a significant part of the character's history that he beat his drug addiction. There's no reason to go back, from a storytelling perspective.

What would work better: Harper acquires some heroin because he thinks he's lost everything and it does not matter any more. The issue ends on a cliffhanger with him in tears and about to use it. The opening of the next issue sees him destroying the drug. "I beat you once. I'm not going back."