Research for a report

Could everyone please take a few minutes and fill out this poll for me, for a report I am having to write.

After you answer each question, please add one sentence to why you choose the answer that you did.

Where do you buy your comics from?

Comic shop

Book store

Other (Please explain what your other is, and why)

What publishers do you read, and why?

DC

Marvel

Dark Horse

Boom

Other (Please state)

How much do you spend on comics each month?

(This one in your own currency British, American , Canadian, Australian etc.)

Between 0-10

11-19

20-29

30+

Do you think comic shops should take part in free comic book day? Answer yes or no, and explain why.

I use an online comic book shop (DCBService.com), mostly because it saves me lots of money, but also because I don't mind waiting a month to receive my comic books in the mail.

Though I'll read any comic, no matter the publisher, I lean towards Marvel because I prefer the fictional universe and characters. It helps that a lot of my favorite creators work for Marvel, too.

My monthly order is usually between $40-60.

Do you think comic shops should take part in free comic book day? Answer yes or no, and explain why.

Yes, if the store is willing to promote the event. When done correctly, it brings people into the shop. I've seen children and non-readers in stores on Free Comic Book Day. And though that's all well and good, it's up to the owners to entice them to return. If they're not going to bother promoting their store and the event, then no.

I’d say I get around 70% of the books I read from one of the three local comic book stores, and the rest online, either through ebay or amazon (which I’d do more of if the international shipping wasn’t crazy expensive).

All of the ones you listed, except Boom (and I’ll probably get around to one of their books eventually) Also Top Shelf, IDW, Oni Press and a whole bunch of smaller publishers. I’d have to scan through my comics to find them all. I don't normally pay much attention to the publisher.

Over $30. That’s Australian of course. I buy at least one trade and a handful of comics a month, which easily hits the $30 mark.

Sure. It draws attention to the store. I don’t know what expenses are involved or if there are any real downsides.

Brick and Mortar Comic Store.

DC

Marvel

Dark Horse

I'll read pretty much anything, as long as it's good. These four are the most accessible, easy-to-get-my-hands on publishers.

11-19

It's a fun experience that will likely bring new readers and new customers into the store. Not taking part would be silly.

Comic shop- Forbidden Planet

Other -online retailers for trades. They're the cheapest source.

DC - Big history and specific characters keep me coming back, Batman and GL for the most part. I also own a lot of Vertigo trades.

Marvel - Good talent and well-promoted events. Bendis and Brubaker are two of my favourite writers, and despite some missteps I still feel like Marvel is on the right track with a lot of their books. The recent Dark Reign and current Siege have been really great so far.

Image Kirkman. Invincible and Walking Dead are two of the best books out there right now, for completely different reasons.

With a sprinkling of others as well. Those three big companies I tend to buy issues, others I tend to buy in trade based on the titles and reviews on sites. Dark Horse's Hellboy and BPRD are regular trades for me.

11-19 quid. I really cut back for uni.

Yes, its a great jumping on point for readers. Offers like free comic book day and $1 first issues for long running titles are a great way to attract new readers. A friend of mine who usually only reads 2000AD got interested in other titles after I picked up a complete free comic book day package for him. Likewise, I now read Tom Strong because the first issue was promoted cheap post-Watchmen. These promotions work, free comic book day is the liveliest day of the year in my comic shop.

I purchase them through dcbservice.com, mostly because of the discounts they offer.

I read DC because my favorite writer, Grant Morrison, is currently producing work there. I read Marvel because the characters of the Marvel Universe are my favorite characters in comics. I read Dark Horse because one of my favorite comics, The Goon by Eric Powell, is published through there. I read Image because of their wide variety of great creator owned series. I read comics from Albatross Exploding Funny Books, Eric Powell's comic company, when he releases books through it. I'll sometimes read IDW if a Doctor Who or Transfromers comic strikes my fancy.

$30-50.

Yes, because it gives the opportunity to, if promoted right, bring new customers to an industry that is in need of them.

Local comic shop called Third Eye. I couldn't imagine going to most other places due to the snobby employees, but the owner goes above and beyond, remembers everyone's name, and loves to talk comics with people. I'm willing to pay more for that experience.

I read a mix. My tastes vary from superhero to horror to hyperviolent to video game tie-in. Only company I really don't have the time for anymore is Marvel.

Around 40. Used to be more but I'm cutting down on monthly books.

Absolutely. Brings more people into the store, which in turn leads to better sales.

Comic shop, mainly because I have a great shopp where the owner knows my name and can make good recomendations. He also bends over backwards for his file customers

DC because I feel that they try to give all their chracters a chance and it has some of the best writers in the industry.

Marvel because it has a lot of the stuff I grew up on but I'm not so big on them right now.

Dark Horse because they print Buffy Season 8.

(This one in your own currency British, American , Canadian, Australian etc.)

Around 60 American. I have a hard time deciding what to cut.

I think yes since they are paying a lot of money for these books but you're going to hook some people in with the stories and then sell some of the merch while they're in the store. It's in their and their customers best interest.