Dick Giordano Has Passed Away

Koete

Legendary comic book creator Dick Giordano passed Saturday morning at the age of 77, according to an email sent Saturday afternoon to members of the comics’ press and community from fellow veterans comic book creator Bob Layton.

"It is my sorrowful duty to announce that legendary artist/editor entrepreneur Dick Giordano passed away today," reads Layton's email.

"Few could ever hope to match what he accomplished in his chosen profession, or to excel while maintaining great humor, compassion for his peers and an unwavering love for the art form.

"His unique vision changed the comic industry forever and all of those who work in the business continue to share in the benefits of his sizable contributions.

"I have been honored to call him a business partner, mentor and dear friend throughout the majority of my lifetime.

"We will not see his like again.

Regretfully,

Bob Layton"

Giordano, whose career began in 1951 and spans work for DC, Marvel, Dell, Valiant and other publishers is perhaps best known as his work as Editor-in-Chief for Charlton Comics, overseeing the creation of the now enduring DC Comics-owned characters such as Blue Beetle and Captain Atom, as well as his time as Executive Editorial Director of DC Comics, during which time DC published such landmark works as Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's Watchmen and Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns.

Other career highlights include serving as inker to penciler Neal Adams and George Perez on DC's Crisis On Infinite Earths.

An introduction to Giordano's website dickgiordano.com entitled "Welcome To My World" perhaps best exemplifies the creator’s outlook on the world he contributed so much to. The intro reads:

"WELCOME TO MY WORLD--

...A world I entered enthusiastically more years ago than I care to remember. It has served as the means to earn my keep as well as allowing me to leave the real world behind and explore the realm of my fantasies. In my world, I am always the wide-eyed child!

My world is The World of Comics."

The comic book community's response to Giordano's passing is coming swift. DC Comics just issued these statements from Co-Publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio:

"When I was just trying to break into comics back in 1986, I received a lot of form rejection letters, including a very gracious one from Dick at DC Comics. On the DC letterhead, he took the the time to pen an additional personal note which I still cherish today. "Looking good--keep working at it." Those few words kept this often dejected young artist hanging in there as it took many many more submissions before I finally broke into comics," said Lee.

"Thank you, Dick, for your words of encouragement, all the years of amazing art and editorial leadership at DC. And finally, for showing us artists how a great inker gets it done."

“Dick Giordano was an inspiration for me when I first joined DC Comics,” said DiDio. “He was an innovator and an industry leader as both a creator and a creative executive. He was truly one of the greats in the business.”

Source