Mass Effect series

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Bioshock series

Halo series

Gears of War series

Left 4 Dead series

Other notes:

- Detachable hard drive.

- First home console to include wireless controllers as a standard feature.

- Backwards compatible with about 50% of original X-Box games.

VS

Nintendo Wii

nintendo_wii_1.jpg

Initial release date: November 19, 2006

Initial price: $249

Lifespan: 2006-present

Units sold: 67.5 million

Number of games released: Over 1000

Notable games:

Super Mario Galaxy

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Super Smash Bros Brawl

Boom Blox

Zack and Wiki

Super Paper Mario

Mario Kart Wii

Other notes:

- Fully backward compatible with Gamecube software.

- Motion control.

- Best selling console of the current generation.

I choose Wii. Hands down revolutionized home consoles. Opened up a market for people who wouldn't dare buy a video game system with Wii Sports and Wii Fit (ie: my wife). No contest here.

Sales dictate that as well as games available.

X-box 360. First of its generation, great graphics capability and the best selection of top-of-the-line games. We've got both in our house and I prefer the X-box by far. The Wii is fun, but it hasn't really held any of our attention as a regular gaming platform, and our household includes casual gamers, hardcore gamers and kids.

I chose the 360, I bought a Wii as a secondary console, not because it's got inferior graphics to a sense, but because it is more of a multiplayer console, the name is Wii which we means playing together, so not alone, so there is a lot of games meant to be played with friends, such as Wii Sports which comes with the console, and although fun on your own, it is not the same as being with other people.

The 360 has a more expansive fun library with games like the COD, Bayonetta, Gears of War, which some may consider good for multiplayer, as the single player is short, but is still a fun game, with repeated hours of on and offline play with friends.

The controller is one of the best for a home console, as it has some real feel behind it, it almost cups around your hands, and unlike the Wii, you do not have to be waving your arms around at all to get enjoyment from most 360 games.

Sorry guys, I'm gonna go with the Wii. Yes, compared to the XBox 360, it's got crappier graphics and not the greatest games; however, the Wii can get my entire family (even my parents, who've never liked video games) playing and having fun. Plus, the motion remote, while a bit gimmicky at times, is still a pretty neat innovation.

Plus, it doesn't Red Ring of Death.

Sales - Wii kills 360 here.

Impact - Toss up. Wii has the motion controls, but the 360 defines online gaming as it stands now. Nintendo still doesn't have much of a clue when it comes to online.

Games - 360 and it's really not even close. The Wii has a ton of stuff for the casual gamer, but to the exclusion of the core player. There also seems to be little to no approval process for Wii software at this point, since there is a ton of crap crowding the shelves.

It's a close one, but I think that the 360 is going to have a longer lifespan and a much richer game library when all is said and done.

This one needs a breakdown:

- Sales

The Wii wins this one.

- Impact on gaming

Toughie. The Xbox360 started the current generation and improved upon what the original Xbox offered to the extent that I don't think the PS3 has ever caught up. The Wii has brought Nintendo back in a big way by going after a different market that Microsoft & Sony have now captured (the hardcore/longtime gamer) and has recouped its success by bringing in the "casual" gamer to the floor. This can be distasteful or disputable to hardcore gamers but it's hard to deny that Nintendo have made a successful console that has outsold its rivals and had arguably a bigger cultural impact than the 360 or PS3. I think the Wii wins this.

- Longevity

N/A - not sure you can call this given both being current gen consoles.

- Quality of software

I can't argue against the 360 winning this one, although I don't think the Wii's library is too bad when you look past the random waggle-orientated games.

- Reliability of hardware

The Wii. Whilst I'm sure it does have the odd bug and glitch here and there, the 360's reliability problems are notorious to the extent that the red rings of death are a meme.

That's 3-1 in favour of the Wii.

I give it to the Wii for breaking free of the controller mold consoles have been using for years and the Wii shop channel bringing Nintendo's classic games to the modern era. Also, considering the red ring reports I've heard, the Wii also wins in reliability.

Microsoft made big improvements from one system to another, it has a deeper library than the Wii, and the games look great. But Nintendo reinvented the wheel this time around, and they gained a whole new audience for it. For me, that's what puts it ahead of the 360; keeping hardcore gamers happy is one thing, but bringing in people who've never touched a video game system (or haven't done so since the Atari 2600), that's huge in my book.

Wii. For starters, the hardware failures are a huge problem of the 360. I can use my Wii for internet browsing or when I just want to have fun with all my friends. The 360 is equally fun but is slanted very much towards online play to the point where most the DLC doesn't work if you aren't connected. This has been the source of quite a few headaches on my part. Sales wise, the Wii is also ahead. Finally, in terms on innovation, the Wii is ahead. It should come as no surprise that both Sony and Micorsoft are trying to imitate Nintendo's unique idea.

Wii had one thing going for it. XBox360 with Live revolutionized online while Nintendo tried really hard to make the Wii the worst online experience ever with friend codes. The Wii was like going backwards in terms of not being next gen and it's hard to go back when you have an hdtv. The failure rate on the 360 was bad, but I bought two 360s and sold my Wii within 2 months, so it wasn't a deal breaker.

In terms of games, it's not even close. The 360 has the highest attach rate of any system ever, while a lot of Wii owners only ever buy one or two games. Some never play anything other than Wii Sports which comes with the system.

The Wii has changed the industry, but I wouldn't say for the better. The Wii is filled with shovelware and has little third party support. It's a definite change to the market, but it feels more like a fad than any real revolution.

The 360 is, however, easily the best console of the generation, it's well put together and actually supports the audience that helped build Microsoft. Nintendo is so focused on winning over Grandmothers that the last truly great game on the system is two or three years old.

I voted 360 just because the Wii seems like an idea that's not taken far enough. The Wii is great in concept, but it feels like a prototype more than a fully-realized console. I'll be very excited to see what the next Nintendo console is like, but as for now, the 360 takes it.

The Wii. It's all about impact for me. Think motion control is just a gimmick? Microsoft (with Project Natal, and to a lesser extent, Surface) and Sony (with it's Wii-mote clone) don't. The Wii is getting people who wouldn't have touched a video game console in the past to buy them now and play them, some nearly everyday. It's also going to change the way we play games. Gesture based interaction is going to be huge in the future, in all kinds of markets (see also: iPhone and iPad, Apple).

The online thing I get. Totally in Microsoft's favor, but Microsoft does have the distinct advantage of a long history with PC gaming in that regard. Nothing is conceptually original, but their use in a console is, and well executed.

I love my 360, but in what way is it "well put together"? Its hardware failure rates are damned near astonishing.

I really like the Wii. The fact that it got my girlfriend's father, who hasn't been a fan of gaming since the 80s, is amazing. It's a fun console with a decent library of games that's great to muck around with when friends are over. But there's no way I could vote for it over the 360. The 360 has a great library of games, and it’s amazing just how successful it was at making downloadable games and online gaming a major part of today’s consoles.

I guess the only problem with judging the current generation is that we can only see the effect the consoles have had on the current market. I'd be curious to see where gaming goes in five or ten years time.

Wii.

Thee Wiimote and play style have brought in so many new gamers it's not even funny. While the 360 is a phenomenal online experience it's terrible hardware (I think it's like 42% of consoles fail).

All consoles will inevitably break at some point...

Whilst that's true, the 360's failure rate is laughably poor. How many owners are on their second or third version of the 360 after the original one failed? By contrast, apart from a PC, I have never had to replace a computer that I've owned.

Whilst that's true, the 360's failure rate is laughably poor. How many owners are on their second or third version of the 360 after the original one failed? By contrast, apart from a PC, I have never had to replace a computer that I've owned.

I've have to replace parts on my computers all the time. That's a ridiculous comparison. Power supplies, video cards, RAM. It all can and does break at some point. The difference is you can just replace any broken part on a PC. You can't do that for a console.

Whilst that's true, the 360's failure rate is laughably poor.

Oh, I know. I'll never defend the 360's failure rate. It's awful. It's frustrating that it took them as long as it did to make something that's actually reliable.

It just struck me as an odd thing to say.

I've have to replace parts on my computers all the time. That's a ridiculous comparison. Power supplies, video cards, RAM. It all can and does break at some point. The difference is you can just replace any broken part on a PC. You can't do that for a console.

Perhaps I should have said console rather than computer. In my gaming life, I've had a NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube and the original Gameboy, and didn't need to buy a second one of any of them. I don't want to preach Nintendo or anything, it's just that those are the only consoles I've ever owned.

360. the wii is a great system to use at parties and the bar, but nothing interests me into owning one. add the 360 better library and hardware coupled with amazing online abilities, and it's the winner