Sony Playstation vs Nintendo Gamecube

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sony Playstation

playstation.jpeg

Initial release date: December 3,1994

Initial price: $299

Lifespan: 1995-2006

Units sold: 102.49 million

Number of games released: 7,978

Notable games:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX

Metal Gear Solid

Gran Turismo

Wipeout XL

Resident Evil series

Chrono Cross

Xenogears

Tomb Raider series

Crash Bandicoot series

Other notes:

- First game console to ship 100 million units.

- First dual analog controller.

Nintendo Gamecube

gamecube2_console_controller.jpg

Initial release date: September 14, 2001

Initial price: $199

Lifespan: 2001-2007

Units sold: 21.74 million

Number of games released: 640

Notable games:

Resident Evil 4

Metroid Prime series

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Super Mario Sunshine

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Super Smash Bros Melee

Animal Crossing

Other notes:

- First Nintendo console to use a disc format.

- Wavebird was the first 1st-party wireless controller.

- First game console to resemble a lunchbox.

I chose the PS1, as it had the better games library for it's début, although Nintendo had classics like Mario and Link performing on the console, it was nothing ground breaking or new. Whereas the first time I played Tomb Raider I was taken aback by how awesome it looked. Also, you had the debut of Crash Bandicoot, which is still fun to play till this day, and although it hasn't aged well, it is still an enjoyable nostalgia trip. You have to consider Resident Evil 1-3 on that as well, they were fun survival horror games, which actually scared you, and for when they were made, they looked fantastic. The PS1 also gave out demo discs of games, which was the first time this happen, where you could buy games magazines and not only read about the games, but also have a shot of them, at your own home, in your own time. Even though the gamecube was next generation console, they couldn't offer the same demos on the level that the PS1 could.

Not even mentioning the epic length of FFVII and that is another game I could talk about. Although the gamecube had good titles, I believe it is the loser in this round against the PS1, which is far superior.

Guest DCAUFan1051

PS1 ... a majority of my votes will go to Sony for the simple fact that of the current Gen consoles sony has the controller most like the SNES. And I play video games 1 handed. Every other controller was wayyy to wide. And I stopped sypporting Nintendo after they stopped making the SNES.

Knightwing's Gamecube vote intrigues me.

Wind Waker, F-Zero, Mario Sunshine, Rogue Leader, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros. Melee, etc.

I always prefer to have a handful of uber-polished games than a plethora of "meh" titles. The GameCube may have had a very specific focus, but, in a sense, that's what I liked about it. The Gamecube was of higher quality for its time than the PSX was.

I don't think anyone else is wrong for picking the PSX, though. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Knightwing's Gamecube vote intrigues me.

Wind Waker, F-Zero, Mario Sunshine, Rogue Leader, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros. Melee, etc.

I always prefer to have a handful of uber-polished games than a plethora of "meh" titles. The GameCube may have had a very specific focus, but, in a sense, that's what I liked about it. The Gamecube was of higher quality for its time than the PSX was.

I don't think anyone else is wrong for picking the PSX, though. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Those are some great games (although I could never get into Mario Sunshine), but even a Nintendo fanboy like me can't put the Gamecube above the Playstation.

Though I loved the GameCube and many of its titles, in terms of impact, it's just another system. And that controller... ugh!

The PlayStation, on the other hand, truly moved video games into the 1990s and beyond. Sony came out of nowhere and blew the world away. And, as DW noted in the initial post, it had a decade-plus lifespan. That speaks volumes about the hardware.

The Playstation. Or, the little box that killed Sega (or at least morphed it into a software company).

So many great titles, and something for just about everyone. Also, non-proprietary discs. Hugely important. Not the first in that area, but like the Atari, the first extremely successful.

The Gamecube's legacy is about a dozen fun games.

The Playstation is that it was the first to show the full potential of CD gaming, removable memory storage, and had a LOT of awesome games, yes with the library they had there were some "meh's" in there, but still. The RPGs alone were enough for me to trump the Gamecube library.

Or, the little box that killed Sega (or at least morphed it into a software company).

That was the PS2. Agreed otherwise.

And I really don't see where the PSone "meh games" argument comes from since these are the same people that voted for the N64, which had about a 15% ratio of good games, and the Wii, which is the king of useless shovelware.

The PSone is tied with the SNES for best RPG console in existence. The thing had some flaws, but game selection wasn't one of them.