Episode 76

RSS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O, and the Green Lantern from Earth at Supe's funeral, it's Kyle Jordan (i.e. deliberately ambiguous)

HA! I like that. :yes:

Yeah, that's pretty awesome!

I don't think Superman is flying around thinking, "I'm Clark Kent."

Maybe not, but he probably does sit around the watchtower thinking "Hmm... I've got a story to write for the Planet by tomorrow. I wonder if Lois has figured out that I'm Clark Kent yet? Waitasec, J'onn's looking at me funny. Is he hearing my thoughts? Does he know I'm Clark Kent? Crap. I just thought it again."

Or, one could say, "Finally a good episode of Justice League... three, in fact." I meant what I said in the show: I don't regret the low grades I've given lately, because the JL episodes haven't been that good.

Except for A Better World. :good:

Exactly. Which was average, at best. :P

And The Terror Beyond. :good:

I really hate stories where heroes fight simply because someone refuses to explain their actions. So that's a major strike against it. Yes, the final few minutes and the scene of Grundy's origin are great, but everything else was a stinker for me.

Or, one could say, "Finally a good episode of Justice League... three, in fact." I meant what I said in the show: I don't regret the low grades I've given lately, because the JL episodes haven't been that good.

Except for A Better World. :good:

And Only A Dream :*

Before I get into my mini-rant about The Terror Beyond being awesome, I should point out how I justify the Kents being at Superman's funeral. (and Clark's identity)

*ahem*

We know that at least Batman knows Clark's identity, so maybe he had the League get them seats. (I'd imagine that the League was given total free reign to decide who was allowed in the front rows). And who says that Lois doesn't already know Clark's identity? They kissed at the end of STAS; maybe he told her who he was at that point. Heck, in the original comics, Lois already knew his identity, and the League helped him conceal it after he died. (Did J'onn shape-shift into Clark-form at some point in the comics? I think he did...)

So yeah. Keeping Clark Kent a secret wouldn't be such a hard thing. Hey, maybe there's a Clark Kent robot like that Superman robot from Legacy.

I really hate stories where heroes fight simply because someone refuses to explain their actions. So that's a major strike against it.

See, I always figured that the JL never would have gone along with the plan anyway. I mean, to be technical, they were going to "kill" Grundy. Granted that he was technically an undead soulless magical mutant, but still. That argument might work in the Marvel Universe, but in the DCU, killing=bad. Always. I always thought that the JL wouldn't have gone along with the plan even if they'd known what it was at first, just because it was technically "immoral."

And yes, Hawkgirl can bash a god in the skull and kill it, just like Superman can punch Darkseid (also a god) and make him bleed. They were in Icthultu's dimension, so that may have helped as well.

Also, Doctor Fate's voice is AWESOME. Oded Fehr as Fate is one of my favorite voice casting choices in the entire DCAU.

And that brief "fight" scene between Aquaman and Superman was awesome.

And the Superman/Grundy fight was awesome.

And the Hawkgirl stuff was awesome.

And the Grundy stuff was awesome.

And the Atlantis backstory was awesome.

And the Aquaman hook-shot thing was awesome.

There's just too much emotional depth (and awesome) in The Terror Beyond for it to be so "bad."

Everybody in the world, journalists and villains included, will analyze that footage and will dig up info on everybody in attendance. So even if J'onn walked around as Clark or a Superman Robot did the same, people would seriously question why the Kents were there. Especially when you consider that Kara, who has no disguise in her civilian form, is sitting with them. (Keep in mind, I didn't penalize the episode for this, but I can see where James is coming from.)

And Lois doesn't know. If I recall, on one of the commentaries Bruce Timm said they contemplated having Clark tell her at the end of JLU, but they changed their mind.

As for the League going along with the plan to kill Grundy, it doesn't matter. The point is that an episode was wasted with bullshit fighting because no one wanted to explain the situation until 10 seconds before the credits were set to role. It was a waste. I would have cut it so much slack had the League known, and then tried to save Grundy from Fate and his crew.

Wouldn't being in Cthulhu's its dimension make it stronger? Either way, it's just a silly idea -- bashing a god to death with a mace, that is.

The emotional depth doesn't come until the last few minutes. Before that it's:

"What are you doing?"

"Shut up! I'm not telling!"

"Tell us!"

"No!"

"Tell us!"

"No!"

"Tell us!"

"No!"

"Tell us!"

"No!"

Punch.

I mean the colour. Kyle has black hair, and Hal has brown. But yeah, it's probably Kyle, cause that looks like Kyles mask in that pic.

ALthough - in "In Brightest Day" Kyle did have brown hair, about that shade (like Mike said, the character was a bit of a pastiche of Kyle and Hal). He didn't have black hair in the DCAU until we see him again in "The Return". (Apparently, the Oa Walgreens stocks Just For Men).

Chris

(Did J'onn shape-shift into Clark-form at some point in the comics? I think he did...)

I know that J'onn did in the Justice League Adventures book. Starman (The alien one, not Ted Knight) transformed into Superman during the "Krisis Of The Krimson Kryptonite" and Supergirl (Matrix) did so at the end of "The Reutrn of Superman", but I think that was the only time around the Death Of Superman arc.

The Kents (with Kara out of costume, and Barbara as well) being at the funeral always bothered me. I would have liked it much better if they had flashed (for the same length of time) on the Kents dressed in mourning, watching the memorial on TV at their home (which is what happened in the comics). Not a major point, but a minor annoyance.

Chris

A friend pointed this out to me and in honor of Starcrossed coming up it's kinda funny:

JLUComic.png

Source

WIN

Although the guy apprantly didn't know that Paul Dini only wrote two episodes for JL and two for JLU as he wasn't an Executive Produce or head writer on either shows like he was on B:TAS, S:TAS and BB. Bruce Timm, James Tucker and later Dwayne McDuffie were the executive producers. I guess since 2/3 of those guys are black, one could still call them the Minoriteam, though I would't advise it.

Has anyone seen this by now? More racism from John Stewart, among other things...

A friend pointed this out to me and in honor of Starcrossed coming up it's kinda funny:

JLUComic.png

Source

WIN

Although the guy apprantly didn't know that Paul Dini only wrote two episodes for JL and two for JLU as he wasn't an Executive Produce or head writer on either shows like he was on B:TAS, S:TAS and BB. Bruce Timm, James Tucker and later Dwayne McDuffie were the executive producers. I guess since 2/3 of those guys are black, one could still call them the Minoriteam, though I would't advise it.

Mike, your explanation of Superman only seeing one bomb in Wild Cards is how I had explained it away, too - Joker said one bomb, Superman saw the first bomb and stopped looking. (Granted that this means he was trusting Joker to some degree, but no one's perfect).

In Hereafter, a couple of things I noticed:

Not just at the memorial, (the word you were looking for, by the way, is interred), but at the cathedral, the crowd seemed awful thin. 400 world leaders?

Also, in the shot of the procession going down the street, the 5 remaining League members (minus Batman) are the pallbearers. When they're approaching the memorial, though, there's a sixth guy on the rear left position (if viewing from above). Gray suit, blond hair. No idea who that is.

As to Lex being at the funeral and saying he's going to miss him, in the comics, Luthor (who was at the time thought to be Luthor Jr, a good guy), actually went berserk and started smashing Doomsday's corpse with a chair. Not because he would miss Superman per se, but because Luthor hadn't been the one to defeat him.

Chris

Also, in the shot of the procession going down the street, the 5 remaining League members (minus Batman) are the pallbearers. When they're approaching the memorial, though, there's a sixth guy on the rear left position (if viewing from above). Gray suit, blond hair. No idea who that is.

I'm not sure he's a pallbearer. He seems further back than a Flash, who's the last guy on the right. But if he is... I don't know.