Archie introduces an openly gay character

JackFetch

Riverdale High School, the stomping ground of comic book legend Archie Andrews, will open its doors to its first openly gay student.

Kevin Keller will be the new student to join Archie, Jughead, Veronica, Betty and Reggie, Archie Comics publications announced Thursday.

"The introduction of Kevin is just about keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive. Archie's hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books," said Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics co-CEO.

Kevin will make his entrance in the comic book in September.

Archie publishers provided a sneak peak of the the plot and a page of the comic book on its website.

The story begins when Kevin comes to Riverdale and promptly beats Jughead in a burger-eating contest. This gets the attention of Veronica who realizes that she is falling for Kevin.

"Mayhem and hilarity ensue as Kevin desperately attempts to let Veronica down easy and her flirtations only become increasingly persistent," Archie Comics said on its website.

Finally, Kevin confides in Jughead.

"It is nothing against her. I'm gay," the new character says.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/books/04/23/archie.gay/index.html

veronica2026.jpg

I bet his homosexuality will never be mentioned again. The least they can do is give the guy a boyfriend.

Actually, Archie has been introducing new secondary characters for the last few years. None of them will ever get more than a two page story in a digest but they're there. That said, hey, I don't mind Archie introducing a gay character. If anything, it keeps Riverdale from seeming like some time-lost Brigadoon.

I guess, to be fair, I haven't read an Archie since I become aware of how lame they were (when I was about 5) so that was kind of an uninformed statement.

But it just feels so gimmicky to me. The gay guy should have a pet dog with sunglasses. That would be cool.

Edit: In fact, I think all gay people should have pet dogs with sunglasses. It's a distinct and cute way of knowing someone's gay.

I guess, to be fair, I haven't read an Archie since I become aware of how lame they were (when I was about 5) so that was kind of an uninformed statement.

But it just feels so gimmicky to me. The gay guy should have a pet dog with sunglasses. That would be cool.

Edit: In fact, I think all gay people should have pet dogs with sunglasses. It's a distinct and cute way of knowing someone's gay.

I'm more of a cat guy so I'll veto that. However, I'll propose it at the next gay meeting.

Also, I kinda only knew that stuff about Archie because my 8-year old cousin had a bunch of Archie comics last summer when i was in Montana so I read some of them. Yeah, Archie is rather sucky but it's also a good way to get kids into comics. I read Archie for a couple of years before upgrading to X-Men.

• 1 year later...

So, Kevin Keller is getting married in the latest Life With Archie (at least in the Archie Marries Betty continuity where everything is kinda alright except people die more often. In the Veronica continuity, I'm sure Kevin's life sucks like everyone else's and he works on a streetcorner with Big Ethel.) But anyway, this is the panel where they get married:

archiewedding.jpg

Am I the only one thinking the thing ruining this is that Betty, who's blonde, is wearing a canary yellow skirt and jacket? Call me old fashioned but if your hair matches your clothes, no. Just no.

• 4 weeks later...