Splice

In the film, Clive and Elsa are superstars of the genetic engineering world. They specialize in splicing together DNA from different animals to create fantastical new hybrids. The charismatic couple wants to use human DNA in a new hybrid – something that could yield astronomical medical benefits. The pharmaceutical company that funds their research, however, is more interested in exploiting their earlier triumphs for easier, short-term profit. Clive and Elsa secretly conduct their own experiment. The result is Dren: an amazing creature who exhibits an array of unexpected developments, both physical and intellectual. Dren exceeds their wildest dreams... and, ultimately, their most terrifying nightmare.

spliceposter.jpg

Yay for creepy butthead babies!

All I know of this is that Angry Joe, from TGWTG, said that the new Freddy Krueger looks like a cross between a Na'vi from Avatar and this Dren creature. I won't watch it on the grounds that I don't go and watch horror films in the cinema, but it could be good.

That said, Jack's comment makes me think of Cool Runnings, where Saka threatens to draw a line on Yul's bald head to make it look like a butt! Damn, I love that movie!

I loved Cube and am incredibly stoked about this. According to one review that I scanned the advertising campaign for the film is rather misleading, as it is far more perverse than the typical "gotcha" monster flick the trailer makes it appear to be.

I heard about it back in January, when it evidently made a "big splash" at Sundance, and have been hoping that it would get some kind of release. Looks like it will be going rather large, what with a major studio picking the film up and giving it a prime June 4th release date. I thought that I would have to wait for the inevitable direct to DVD dump in October.

Here are a few really non-specific "spoiler" free reviews that talk about what a whacked out movie it is.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/01/31/sundance-movie-reviewvideo-blog-splice-its-messed-up/

http://www.fearnet.com/news/reviews/b18020_sundance_2010_splice_review.html

http://chud.com/articles/articles/22334/1/SUNDANCE-REVIEW-SPLICE/Page1.html

With all the word dancing to avoid plot spoilers and descriptions of the movie being "insanely over-the-top" it sounds more and more like Stuart Gordon, David Cronenberg, and Frank Henenlotter got together to make a movie.