Sign in to follow this  
The Master

Spawn

Does anybody still read Spawn? I tried to get into it three times -- collecting 18 - 30-ish, around issue 60, and then again with 100. I even went so far as to buy all of the back issues, and read most of them (up to 75) but I never saw its appeal.

Long before, I was a die hard Spawn freak. But now, I read Spawn once in a while, and if there's nothing else to read at the moment. The last time I read, I forgot the issue number but it had Spawn and Sam Twitch trying to save Twitch's son from a demonic house(?). It was pretty recent I think.

I was an enormous Spawn fan when the series first started. My first issue was #5, which still sticks out in my mind as a highlight of McFarlane's career, both in art and in storytelling.

I bought it religiously until issue 90-something, and then realized how god-awful it had become. I won't even think about it any more.

drq

Does he have that life meter any more? You know, they one that only had 9999 ticks before he went back to Hell? If not, what happened to it?

They discontinued it after, I believe, issue 25. The storyline explanation was that he visited hell and recharged indefinitely, but I think McFarlane just got too lazy to keep up with it.

drq

I too used to read it religously and for its time was pretty extordinary. However as you have all mentioned, Todd got a bit lazy. I think it had something to do with how woefull the movie was. Which is weird because MJW as Spawn was really good. The rest of the cast just sucked.

i used to readthe comic until they introduced cy-gor, the robot gorilla, that's the point at which the comic went downhill and never looked back. Such a shame as the comic had potential to be better than that.

Cy-Gor was introduced pretty early on too, wasn't he? Don't you hate it when a comic book has so much potential but blows it by producing schlock?

yeah, cy-gor came out pretty early, but i still think that is when the comic took a nose dive. When it started it had plenty of potential, interesting story elements; i.e. his power counter, but then macfarlane got lazy or something, and the comic just isn't as good.

A heads up for Spawn fans--according to information on the Savage Dragon message board, Spawn has been canceled.

No fucking way!!! Are they rebooting it, or is it done for good?

I just checked on this, and it's not cancelled. The seven issues that are late have been "cancelled" so they can be resolicited starting this month. This will put the book back on track heading towards it's 150th issue.