Rise of the Apes

JackFetch

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw this, and maybe it was the heightened expectations from hearing everyone rave about it, but I thought it was middle of the road entertaining. Not sure if they meant it, or it was an accident, but the ending seemed to be a tip of the hat to 12 Monkeys, which would be awesome if it was deliberate.

• 2 months later...

Watched this tonight and really enjoyed it. Instead of trying to remake the original Conquest, they crafted their own story that stays true to the spirit of the Apes franchise. There are a number of call backs to the series, but my favorite is

how the actions of the various species of ape foreshadow their places in the eventual ape society

. My favorite scene was when

Caesar spoke for the first time, as I was expecting that to be the note they'd end the film on. The Heston quote preceding it was a little on the nose, but I didn't care

. It's not a perfect film, but it is the best instance of rebooting a franchise I've seen since Batman Begins.