World Cup 2010- South Africa

Stavros

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that still confuses me is when offsides is called, but that's only because I don't know the positions yet.

Its when the ball is played to a player who is beyond the last defender, or if not directly to them then the player is actively involved in play.

Its pretty easy to pick up all around.

And actually, as much issue as you might have with your coverage at least your guys have the excuse of unfamiliarity. ITV's coverage over here is just poor. They split the whole tournament with the BBC 50/50, and the BBC stuff is just great, they've got a nice group of analysts and coverage lead by Gary Lineker, hall of fame England striker and broadcasting veteran. ITV poached 'likable' everyman Adrian Chiles from the BBC to do the job, and he's thoroughly shit.

Beautiful second from Villa too. Dude is on tonight.

I really enjoy the coverage over here in Australia. The two main guys hosting the coverage, while Australian through and through, have a real passion for the sport as a whole, so every match is important to them, they don't treat them like filler games between Aussie matches, which I really like. The producers of the games need some work though, as the replays go for too long, missing some live game time which annoys me.

Apparently Fifa read my post above about the triple threat penalty, as it is something they are going to 'review' for future world cups.

As much as the decisions have been annoying me, I love the World Cup, there is so much drama and upsets in the group stage!

I am disgusted by ho many bullshit fake pussy falls these "athletes" take. It's fucking distgusting.

I'd rather watch and hour of the Blackhawks skating around celebrating their Stanley Cup win than a minute of fucking soccer. Ugh.

I'd rather watch baseball.

Now I feel dirty.

I'll leave the WC thread alone now.

I am disgusted by ho many bullshit fake pussy falls these "athletes" take. It's fucking distgusting.

I'd rather watch and hour of the Blackhawks skating around celebrating their Stanley Cup win than a minute of fucking soccer. Ugh.

Now I feel dirty.

Yeah, but you like Nickelback, so how much can your opinion be worth? :P

Now I feel dirty.

Yeah, but you like Nickelback, so how much can your opinion be worth? :P

:lol:

Donovan is the USA's best player by far, and he deserved the goal at the end, as did the whole team. Still not sure that offside call was a bad one though. Its feather-thin whether he's level or ahead of the last defender. Still, props to the US, it'll be interesting to see what happens tonight as we find out our next round opponents.

Samples of my American soccer friends' tweets:

Not Safe For Work
PUT IT IN, AMERICA and now I am trying to think of an appropriate sexual metaphor for offsides

THIS IS FUCKING AGONYYYYYYY

Why do the goddamn refs fucking hate us jesus. D: FUCK THEM ALL WITH CORKSCREEEEWS.

FUCKING WHORE SONS OF BITCHES REFEREES I HOPE THEY ARE ALL TAKEN OUT BACK AND FLOGGED YOU SHITS

WHY DO OUR GOALS ALWAYS GET FUCKING DISALLOWED SON OF A WHORE

This is far more amusing than watching the games themselves.

I love how a guy from Ghana gets carried off on a stretcher after flopping on the field to waste time, and he IMMEDIATELY gets up after leaving the field of play. Fuck this worthless-ass officiating. If you have rules against that nonsense, why aren't you enforcing them?

I love how a guy from Ghana gets carried off on a stretcher after flopping on the field to waste time, and he IMMEDIATELY gets up after leaving the field of play. Fuck this worthless-ass officiating. If you have rules against that nonsense, why aren't you enforcing them?

As I said over on the Oratory, that was enforcing them. The stretcher is there to remove an injured player from the field so play can continue. By removing him, they take his team down to ten men and force him to wait on the sidelines until the ref allows him back onto the pitch. It actually speeds up play more, and weeds the fakers from the actually injured.

If we'd had the goal the whole complexion of the game might have changed, but as it stood we once again fell apart and completely deserved to lose as it stood.

Gotta get some goaline tech in there though. I mean the guy says its expensive, but really all you need is a camera hooked up to a monitor that the 4th official can see. Its such blatant horse shit, Fifa blatantly just want a cut of whoever develops the tech's profit and until then they don't give a shit.

Makes me feel better as an Aussie with that scoreline.

I'll admit to turning off the game after Germany's second goal (it was well after midnight here and I have to work) so I'm disapointed now that I didn't stay up for the rest of the game.

This young German team are playing some pretty impressive football.