Mortal Kombat: Legacy

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=66904

Speculation has run rampant today with the debut of a short "Mortal Kombat" film (subtitled "Rebirth") that made its way anonymously to YouTube. Now, Latino Review reports that the film is, as many theorized, a test for a potential R-rated film reboot of the video game franchise.

The short is directed by Kevin Tancharoen, the director of last year's Fame, and features a cast that includes name actors like Michael Jai White (Jax), Jeri Ryan (Sonya Blade), Matt Mullins (Johnny Cage), Lateef Crowder (Baraka) and Ian Anthony Dale (Scorpion) with fight choreography by Larnell Stovall.

Though there is no guarantee that these actors will play the characters in a feature film version or even that a feature film will actually happen, the short is already a huge success online, with the word "Kombat" already a trending topic on Twitter.

See now, I would think that this wold be a live-action promo for a new MK game, like what Microsoft's doing for each Halo game.

And I gotta say, I've never really understood the MK fandom before (I kinda missed the peak of its popularity), but that short film was really, really cool.

From that first Kotaku link:

Update: Actress Jeri Ryan, the actress portraying Sonya Blade in the video, has confirmed via Twitter that this is a short film created by a director to sell Warner Bros. on his Mortal Kombat pitch. "It's not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film," Ryan says on her Twitter page, adding " I did it as a favor to a friend. No idea yet what WB's reaction to it was." Thanks to Zimnick for pointing us towards Jeri's updates!

This is creating huge buzz, and WB are morons if they don't pick it up right now.

We've been promised a return to the greatness of MKII for the past four or five games, it seems. Every game since Deception has been total shit. They had years to change the engine, and clearly didn't learn a thing. I'm Youtubing some Fatalities when it comes out. That's about it.

Way more excited about the movie.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...