Episode 79

RSS

Raven and Starfire swap bodies ("Switched"), Aqualad and Beast Boy reluctantly team-up ("Deep Six"), Robin betrays his friends ("Masks"), a crazy Brit attempts to teach the Teen Titans a lesson in manners ("Mad Mod"), Cyborg's new car is stolen ("Car Trouble"), and Robin joins Slade to save his friends ("Apprentice"). [ 2:05:59 || 57.7 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_079.mp3

First, DC: Final Frontier?

soniamdisappoint.gif

Second, there was a solo Spider-Man cartoon that aired at the same time as Amazing Friends. Via Wikipedia:

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was originally believed to be something of a sequel to this solo Spider-Man animated series, although this has since been disputed since both series were originally first aired at the same time on September 12, 1981.

James, I remember seeing The Flash movie as well.

A la wikipedia

The Flash TV Series

Home video: VHS and DVD

For over a decade after the series was canceled, the only episodes commercially available were in three VHS "movies," two of which were compilations of similarly-themed episodes re-edited into a movie-length feature:

* The Flash--the movie-length pilot, which had been re-edited into two separate episodes after its initial complete airing

AND OH MY GOD! Mark Hamill was the Trickster!

Tv-trickster.jpg

Guest TFG1Mike

Transformers G1 is in DCAU Continuity.... just kidding, but Marv Wolfman was the writer on Transformers that brought back Optimus Prime. He also wrote the series bible for Beast Machines. :D

I'd never thought of it, but Mad Mod does work as a pastiche of Arcade, doesn't he...with some Austin Powers mixed in. I still look to Donna Noble for the quintessential "Oi!", though...

I have to say, though, I was expecting Mike to dislike "Mad Mod" just because it seemed so very Scooby Doo-ish.

I think one of the best things about Slade as the lead villain (besides the Perlman effect), is that he seems to be one of the villains who has actually read the Evil Overlord List.

"I will instruct my fashion designer that when it comes to accessorizing, second-chance body armor goes well with every outfit."

Check.

"I will not send out battalions composed wholly of robots or skeletons against heroes who have qualms about killing living beings."

OK, needs some work...BUT:

"I will make sure only to communicate and rule through a suit of Animated Armor or other robot double, while I am somewhere else-preferably a bunker in the ass-end of Siberia or some other hellishly inhospitable place that would take a massive ammount of preparation to get to."

One of his favorites.

"I will not get involved in a gun or fist fight. My body double will do it. When the Hero and the double disarm to enter the ring, my expert team of snipers will blow the hero's head off of his shoulders from half a mile away. The body double will then use the explosive hidden in his cloak to blow up the body just to make sure. If the hero is really powerful, then I'll bring in the Kill Sat, which has the added advantage of killing any sidekicks who came to watch the fight."

Sometimes, but he does forget during "Apprentice"

"I shall never so much as talk in battle. It's a distraction and any moment I could spend thinking of something to say, I could instead be using to predict my opponent's next move and a respective counter. Cold silence is intimidating as well. Exceptions will be made if there is a brief lull in the fighting and I have something relevant to say. For the record: nihilism, ranting, or name-calling are not relevant; the people the hero killed to get to this point, the high quality of life in my subjects, and the contradictions in his life philosophy are."

He's very good at the exceptions to this one.

And, while it's not related to Slade, I thought I'd throw this one out in honor of the fact that we're expecting our second child any day now (so I may not be around much):

"There is a time and a place for my maniacal laugh, and that is right after my adorable little granddaughter does something cute (such as pulling the lever on the trap door under an incompetent minion) because she thinks my special laugh is cute and she will start laughing herself and very few Heroes will attack a doting grandfather while his 6 year-old granddaughter laughs with him."

Chris

out of curiosity, how old do you guys think Gizmo is? I think he might as young as six or seven, if not four or five

also, "Mad Mod" is not the first episode to include an "OY!" in the DCAU. That would be "The Hand of Fate", in which Turpin busts one out, albeit a Yiddish "oy" of frustration rather than a British "oy" meaning "hey"

out of curiosity, how old do you guys think Gizmo is? I think he might as young as six or seven, if not four or five

also, "Mad Mod" is not the first episode to include an "OY!" in the DCAU. That would be "The Hand of Fate", in which Turpin busts one out, albeit a Yiddish "oy" of frustration rather than a British "oy" meaning "hey"

For clarification's sake, I mean the British "OI!"

For clarification's sake, I mean the British "OI!"

mea culpa