Request thread (with scores!), updates, and random thoughts

I don't think there is enough of a mass amount of hate on Ant Man, or it being considered lazy and banal storytelling enough, to justify being on a show dedicated to ripping apart things that are considered the dregs of bad and uninspired movies.

I tore into it on my blog this morning.

:)

The Real Protagonists have covered some things that are pretty obscure. I had never heard of the most recent abomination until they reviewed it for Episode 51. And I was looking forward to hearing them eviscerate Spider-Man 3 despite the fact that I actually like the movie. I think there's enough bad in Ant-Man for them to make a really entertaining episode, though that's obviously up to the hosts.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's WAY worse comic book movies out there than Ant-Man. In that Catwoman has already been covered  (as has Crow: Wicked Prayer, which technically counts), there are better/worse candidates in films such as The Spirit, Jonah Hex or Son of the Mask, although the latter is (falsely) marketed as a comedy.

Jonah Hex and The Spirit are on the shortlist.

One day I'll get off my ass and clean the thread up again to show it to you guys.

I kinda liked Jonah Hex. It moved a little too slow and was kinda boring at spots, but I liked it.

I liked Elektra too. Flawed, but enjoyable. I think I said when I reviewed it for my blog at the time that the movie really needed another 20 minutes to flesh things out.

Jonah Hex and The Spirit are on the shortlist.

One day I'll get off my ass and clean the thread up again to show it to you guys.

I kinda liked Jonah Hex. It moved a little too slow and was kinda boring at spots, but I liked it.

I liked Elektra too. Flawed, but enjoyable. I think I said when I reviewed it for my blog at the time that the movie really needed another 20 minutes to flesh things out.

Fair enough - diff'rent strokes to move the world and all that.

Even so, Ant-Man's better than both of those movies.

When/if you guys do The Spirit, my feedback for that is going to be a mixture of screaming, cursing and crying.

And pretty much the same reaction from me. Brad Bird got me into the character, through "The Iron Giant"  and I enjoyed the comic. It was the first time I felt betrayed by a company not knowing how to adapt a story.

• 2 weeks later...

The Core has been mentioned a few times. I watched it last week. It's really bad and I think the Real Protagonists could make a great episode ripping that thing to shreds. I laughed out loud when they were walking around in the earth's mantle.

Hillary Swank is great and elevates anything she's in, but good grief her character was a Mary Sue in this movie. It was ridiculous.

I got Jupiter Ascending from Netflix so I can watch it before listening to the next Tirades episode. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Since I remember Damien mentioning something about going through the request thread in one of the more recent episodes, here's every movie in the current thread, minus ones that have already been covered/stated that it'll never be covered on the show. (In Spoilers since it's a long, fucking list.)

• Robocop 3
  • Beautiful Creatures
  • Road House
  • Conan The Destroyer
  • Dungeons and Dragons
  • Night of the Lepus
  • Hackers
  • The Swarm
  • The Rage: Carrie 2
  • The Core
  • The Marine
  • Southland Tales
  • High School Musical
  • Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man
  • The Bodyguard
  • Driven
  • Swept Away
  • Shanghai Surprise
  • Snow White and the Huntsman
  • The Messengers
  • House of Wax
  • Barb Wire
  • Snapdragon
  • Anaconda
  • Maid in Manhattan
  • Judge Dredd
  • Leonard Part 6
  • The Stepford Wives (remake)
  • What Women Want
  • Shakma
  • The Island
  • Octopus 2: River of Fear
  • Hardwired
  • The Canyons
  • A Walk in the Clouds
  • The Warrior and the Sorceress
  • Lost in Space
  • Death From Above
  • Scooby Doo! Wrestlemania Mystery
  • Stealth
  • Twister
  • Tentacolino aka In Search of the Titanic
  • Warriors of the Wasteland
  • Ben and Arthur
  • Gymkata
  • Urban Legend
  • Urban Legends: Final Cut
  • Bless the Child
  • After Last Season
  • King of Fighters
  • 50 Shades of Grey
  • The Covenant
  • Jaws 3-D
  • Jaws: The Revenge
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas
  • Hercules in New York
  • Roller Blade
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Scavenger Killers
  • The Spirit
  • Eight Crazy Nights
  • I, Frankenstein
  • Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return
  • Mommie Dearest
  • Outcast
  • The Net
  • Speed 2
  • Braveheart
  • They Saved Hitler's Brain
  • The Sword and the Sorcerer
  • Tales of an Ancient Empire
  • Maximum Overdrive
  • An Easter Bunny Puppy
  • To Riverdale and Back Again
  • The Concorde: Airport '79
  • The Neverending Story: Part III
  • From Justin to Kelly
  • Cruel Intentions 2
  • The Apocalypse
  • Devil
  • BloodRayne: The Third Reich
  • Blubberella
  • Home on the Range
  • Impulse
  • Operation Kid Brother
  • Double Down
  • Elves
  • Babes in Toyland (1986)
  • Mac & Me
  • Jonah Hex
  • The Collection
  •  

I actually still have the master list from the various iterations this thread has gone through, minus the ones I know we're never going to do and it's generally the first thing I go to when putting together the schedule for the new year.  I can confirm that a few from the list above have made it in this year.  We're looking at 8 or 9 of the movies this year coming from requests.  Not as consistent as last year, but we had some mandatory ones we needed to get to.

As for Judge Dredd, it's never been a huge priority.  It's silly, but neither of us have any real ties to the source material.

• 2 weeks later...

Judge Dredd 2012 is pretty bad too. So many things that don't make sense.

I was annoyed right away when I started the DVD. I have no knowledge of the source material, so I had absolutely no idea what was going on at the beginning of the movie. They give no backstory or context. So I went to Wikipedia to understand the world.

• 4 weeks later...

Nah.  It looks like Samurai Cop tier, so it's fair game.

All right, then I would like to see you guys review Miami Connection (I better not beat around the bush and just put in my request). 

Another one would be Doctor Mordrid, mainly because Shao Kahn has a stop motion battle against Jeffery Combs. 

• 3 weeks later...

Random thought: Thank you for making the show downloadable on more than just itunes. My account has been having trouble for months and troubleshooting has made me believe that I can go to the store once I get a newer computer. Which will probably need me to download a new system by the time I go from my store to my house. 

12 Rounds 2.

Someone at WWE Films watched all seven Saw movies and decided to make a movie with Jigsaw vs. Randy Orton.

Good grief this is bad.

Suddenly brings a whole new meaning to The Game, Triple H's Reign of Terror with the World Title (October 2002 (handed title)-June 2005 (loses Hell in A Cell match against Batista for the title)).

And that includes a feud with Orton!

Edited by SteveJRogers