Request thread (with scores!), updates, and random thoughts

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's kind of an unspoken Jovovich rule next to the Beckinsale one.

:)

I actually like all of the Resident Evil movies. They're flawed, but entertaining.

Nemesis in RE2, though, was just painful to watch. I have seen better rubber suits when channel surfing past Power Rangers in the early 90's.  Practical effects definitely have their advantages, but this was so bad ti should have been CG.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Disney-phile. I owe it to just being a huge fan of traditional, hand-drawn animation. So, I feel the need to recommend the movie that killed their Hand-Drawn department: Home on the Range. Let's look at it this way: while the best of the Golden age featured an all-star cast, this one has Roseanne voicing it's lead, The animation looks on par with some of their direct to DVD fare, and while it has Alan Menkin at the helm of it's music, it's probably his weakest. Also, it has a villain. Who yodels. It's not as funny as it sounds.

So, William Shatner is by all accounts not a terrible person. Most of his films on the other hand... ugh. Impulse might be the worse... and also sound very familiar. Shatner plays a guy who had a traumatic childhood. As an adult, he's a psychopath who often kills various women over the course of the film. Eventually, he starts dating a woman whose very young daughter is the only one to see through him. Most of the climax involves psychopathic, thumb-sucking murderer Shatner versus a little girl. Where have I heard this plot before...?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll second Mike's endorsement of Double Down.

For next year's Christmas Farva: Elves. It's hard to find (was only released on VHS) but... well... It has Dan Haggarty aka Grizzly Adams as a homeless, ex-cop Mall Santa who must save a young woman, who is a virgin and the last pure Aryan, from being impregnated by Neo-Nazi Elves who will create Hitler's Master Race. That is a real sentence that describes this bat shit movie.

For some reason I thought some good farva material around baseball season starting time would be one of the crappy Babe Ruth bio pics.

But of course that runs into the problem with doing movies within franchises with no prior knowledge base of, or desire to do the homework for.

For example, how are you supposed to criticize a film for getting certain things wrong, when you don't know the whole story behind why its wrong in the first place, and little things that are just plain out of character for the IRL person would seem nitpicky for someone who wasn't there or can shrug it off as "well, the actor or director is just putting a modern spin" or its for an affect or something*, but are there any actual "based on actual events" or bio pics that are in consideration for being covered?  

*Example in the John Goodman Ruth movie is Ruth flipping his bat over his back and watching a home run, which is more of a modern day celebration and something Ruth never did.  Some might shrug that off as putting a modern spin in there for today's (well early 1990s) audiences to understand as opposed to Ruth calmly jogging around the bases and taunting the opposing dugout after a mammoth shot.

James is a baseball nut, so he'd actually know a lot about that kind of stuff, but it probably wouldn't be classified as a Farva unless there was some hideous overacting or something.

We're not opposed to doing it, but we don't have any "based on a true story" stuff on next year's schedule.  Usually pretty hard to find plot holes in stuff that's actually happened.  We briefly considered "Mommie Dearest" for Will's guest spot, but we ultimately decided on something else.

I don't care for A Beautiful Mind BUT Jennifer Connelley is pretty decent in it and some people do. Enough where it wasn't even considered for one of the movies I asked for. The reason why I feel that Mommy Dearest would work with the format is that, despite taking place over many years, it never really feels that way. The only time you get a suggestion that time passed is when Faye Dunaway gets slathered in more bad age make-up. That and so many of it's scenes and acting performances are mockable. It also doesn't help that the book it's based off of was written by a woman who had an agenda to fuck her mother's image, making the film itself incredibly biased and making what is a complicated subject into a black and white story about a psychotic witch who made it her mission to terrorize her children. In the end, A Beautiful Mind's biggest crime is being every bad biopic ever. Mommy Dearest's biggest crime is that it never stops being insane.

• 2 weeks later...

Ant-Man.

This is just bad, especially the way Pym recruits Lang. I mean, really - Jigsaw would look at that plan and declare it about ten steps too complicated. Too much slapstick hurt it too.

I've liked all of the Marvel movies, that I can recall. Not this one. I am so glad I got it on Netflix DVD instead of wasting my money to see it in the theater.

Hard to justify films that aren't generally accepted as a hot mess though.  Even what is considered the dregs of the Marvel Movie U has their fair share of fans.

Conversely, Star Wars, the Nolan Batman films, Godfather and all films considered classics by the masses have a fair share of people that would do a legit Tranquil Tirades critique on them.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your dislike of the film, I'm just saying I don't think there is enough of a mass amount of hate on Ant Man, or it being considered lazy and banal storytelling enough, to justify being on a show dedicated to ripping apart things that are considered the dregs of bad and uninspired movies.

Mike has been trying to get James and I together for a review of The Wizard for years.

Also let it be known that I fucking love The Wizard.

Not sure what was a worse example of live action shameless commercialization of a current products that went above and beyond simple product placement, that or Mac & Me.

Both vapid and horrific.  I'm still trying to figure out why the latter has any fans due it being such a blatant rip off of ET and the success that film had with Reese Pieces, but like I said earlier, sometimes movies just speak to someone despite what someone else with a more critical eye might say about the art of the film making process.

I do think Mac & Me would make a good episode though.

Mike has been trying to get James and I together for a review of The Wizard for years.

Also let it be known that I fucking love The Wizard.

I figured it might be on your no-go list. You guys have too many sacred cows!

Try watching it with the subtext that the Haley is a teenaged truckstop prostitute. Seriously, so much of that film falls into place. And this was a theory I developed before I realised she had a close relationship with a trucker named Spanky.

Edited by Stavros