Dr. Strange

Marvel Studios has hired Conan scribes Thomas Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer to write Dr. Strange, marking forward progress on a long-gestating superhero property which will likely be among the first Marvel films generated under the Disney banner. Aside from Conan--the Marcus Nispel-directed Lionsgate film that stars Jason Momoa--Donnelly and Oppenheimer also scripted a live action adaptation of the vidgame Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for Sony and producer Chuck Roven, and they wrote a draft of the Jon Favreau-directed Cowboys and Aliens for DreamWorks/Universal.

Originated in 1963 by Stan Lee and artist Steve Ditko, Dr. Strange was a self-centered New York surgeon robbed of his touch after a car accident. After a stint as a wandering derelict, he found his way to a healer in the Himalayas, where he learned to tap into psychic powers to battle evil wizards and other wrongdoers. His mind is his weapon, rather than the brute force that distinguish most memorable Marvel heroes.

Dr. Strange has had a long strange journey to the screen that included stints at Savoy Pictures, Columbia Pictures, Dimension Films and Paramount--with a parade of writers and directors that included Bob Gale, Wes Craven, David Goyer, Stephen Norrington and Guillermo del Toro. Marvel finally got the rights and brought the property back into the fold.

Marvel Studios has four more films committed to be distributed through Paramount (including Iron-Man 3). Those will include Thor and The First Avenger: Captain America, with the last to likely be The Avengers. Marvel is separately working on the youth-oriented Runaways as well as Ant-Man, which is also oft-mentioned as a promising character among the 5000 Disney acquired in its $4 billion buy of Marvel. Marvel is making the deal with the writers' reps at Gersh and Underground and they should get going on Dr. Strange shorly.

Source

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kevin Feige updates the status of the movie:

"[W]e think we'll be casting probably in the next month or two," he says, "and announcing an actor, and then we get into production in the spring of next year... Strange is very, very important, not just because it's an amazing character study, and a journey of a man who's gone from this very arrogant surgeon to somebody who is quite zen and literally keeps all of reality together on a daily basis... [T]here's a whole other side of the Marvel comics, which is that supernatural side - the interdimensional side of the Marvel universe, and Doctor Strange is, I believe, our entry point into that other realm, which has dozens of characters and storylines all of its own."

I posted on Facebook the other day that I want to see Cumberbatch play a Batman villain (namely Riddler or Scarecrow), but I would certainly be excited to see his portrayal of the Sorcerer Supreme. The guy is one of my favorite current actors right now.

I'm starting to get sick of Cumberbatch. It's not like he's a bad actor, but he has a 2004 Jude Law thing going on. And it doesn't help that the internet won't shut up about him.

Yeah. It's absolutely no fault of his own, but he's everywhere right now. I have no doubt he would crush the role - he has presence to burn and is both haughty and weird enough to nail Stephen Strange cold - but I can totally understand the sense that enough is enough already.

• 1 month later...