Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it. Thought it was great.

My only complaint is that it was a little devoid of the "magic" of previous films, trading it slightly too often for detached drama. For the things that are happening on-screen here, you'd expect Hedwig's Theme (the main HP theme) to be played more than just in tiny bits and pieces.

But, hey, it's still an 8/10 for me. Great stuff.

Harry Potter didn't even wait until the sun rose to start vanquishing box-office records.

The last big-screen adventure of the boy wizard, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2," raked in $42.5 million at midnight screenings in the U.S. and Canada, according to Warner Bros. The previous record was about $30 million, set in 2009 by "The Twilight Saga: New Moon."

Fans eager to see Harry's final battle with the evil Lord Voldemort began lining up early Thursday for the shows.

People with access to ticket sales data who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter said "Deathly Hallows Part 2" was all but certain to collect more than $80 million domestically by the end of Friday night. The previous record for single-day receipts was also held by "New Moon," at $72.7 million.

"It's mind-boggling, to be honest with you," said Dan Fellman, Warner president of domestic distribution. "This is writing history every day."

The people following box-office returns said "Deathly Hallows — Part 2" was on track to break the all-time opening-weekend record of $158.4 million, set by "The Dark Knight" in 2008.

The film is benefiting from overwhelmingly positive reviews. According to the aggregation site Movie Review Intelligence, the final "Harry Potter" is the year's best-reviewed film.

Overseas receipts have been huge as well. The movie, which opened in 26 foreign markets Wednesday and an additional 17 on Thursday, took in $82.5 million internationally in two days. That's 39% higher than "Deathly Hallows — Part 1" generated in its first two days in the same countries.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0716-ct-potter-box-office-20110716,0,3703309.story

The epilogue was retarded. It should have been at least 5 minutes longer just to maybe give a fast recap of those 19 years or a longer part of that day, starting at home and ending at the station. But it all just seemed corny. And having Malfoy there without explaining what happened to him bugged me as well. Him smiling like they were friends just infuriated me.

And the battle scene should have been 10 minutes longer as well. Considering this movie was the shortest of them all, they could have done it no problems. I was expecting a middle earth style battle and feel robbed.

The epilogue was retarded. It should have been at least 5 minutes longer just to maybe give a fast recap of those 19 years or a longer part of that day, starting at home and ending at the station. But it all just seemed corny. And having Malfoy there without explaining what happened to him bugged me as well. Him smiling like they were friends just infuriated me.

To be fair, if I remember correctly, that is exactly how the book ended. With the epilogue adding nothing to the main story, except giving the series a nice happy ending.

Overall, I really enjoyed the film. The 3-D was actually pretty good, it wasn't a waste of time 3-D with stupid "Throwing stuff at the audience" shite every half hour or so, the characters actually popped off the screen and looked good.

It was so great, it makes me want to go back and watch the series again from the start.

To be fair, if I remember correctly, that is exactly how the book ended. With the epilogue adding nothing to the main story, except giving the series a nice happy ending.

No, it added a little more.

Basically, Harry married Ginny and had three kids. Hermione married Ron. The Malfoy family was exonerated because Mrs. Malfoy saved Harry's life (leading to Voldemort's demise) and she, Draco, and Lucius ended up deserting the Death Eater army at the end.

Also, the Dursleys and the Potters are uneasy family, and are somewhat friendly with each other.

I also had a problem with the epilogue, though, just in that it retained the darker tone of the entire film, rather than come full-circle to the happier tones of the series' beginning like it should have. At least we got the classic Williams music from Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone, though.