Wonder Woman

Missy

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, Lucy Davis!

For the record, this is going to be my new catchphrase when something takes me by surprise.

*A giant kaiju attacks my office*

"Sweet Lucy Davis!!!!"

I'm glad you removed the comma - otherwise it would be a slight on the good name of Lucy Davis to refer to her as a kaiju. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back. Liked it a lot. Best of the DC Universe live action movies and I say that as one of the people that liked Man of Steel. Liked that this movie had more consequences than you normally see.

Had a few issues. While I liked it the movie wasn't perfect, but most good movies have stuff you can pick at.

Surprised Steve Trevor died and that the horrors of war were depicted as well as a PG-13 Comic Book movie could realistically allow.

I wish that Ares wasn't in this movie. When Diana thinks she's killed Ares and the war continues I loved that scene with her and Steve and I would have liked it better if Ares wasn't there to give humanity the excuse for its awfulness and Diana decided to save the day more out of hope for the possible future. Kinda how I felt making Hydra the villains in Captain America 2 was a cop out. It should have been a conspiracy of the Nazis we let go to fight the Cold War. Having a supervillain in a superhero movie can take the edge off sometimes[/spoilers]

Things I liked: The Amazons, lil' Diana, Antiope, the trench warfare action scene (got several cheers at my showings), solid humor, Diana showing up in WWI (if you are going to have her confront the horrors of war/Man's World, that is the war to have her show up), good color transitions (man's world being mostly hard dark colors, Themyscira being bright and vibrant)

*noncommital handwave*: The script feels like they cobbled together all the other WW movie attempts and then just sprayed on Snyder/Johns bombast at the end (but this has apparently been in various stages of development hell since 1996, so that is not surprising), I was never really sold on the romance angle (but that's not why this movie is here, happily), would have liked them to show some of the women who worked on Diana in the creators credits at the end

Things I didn't like:

Not really sure where they go from here after having her confront Ares. Called the swerve with who Ares really was pretty early on in the movie, and the last twenty minutes were the only point where I was pretty actively checking out (and probably where the Snyder/Johns influence showed strongest in the script). The more I think about it the more it feels kind of piecemeal, like they finally just decided to get this out and damn it all. Also feels a bit overwhelmingly testosterone-y after the Amazons leave the picture. 

Good times, even with its issues, still the best we've gotten out of the DCU so far in my opinion.

I went in with measured expectations, raised by the overwhelmingly positive word of mouth. I totally get it. This was terrific.

It's a game changer in that this has to be the best Female Super Hero Comic Book Movie in existence, and while admittedly it doesn't have much competition it really is a solid script by Allen Heinberg with fantastic direction from Patty Jenkins. The big fight scene in the middle was masterful, and the best action sequence I've seen since Civil War. Gal Gadot, despite her heavy accent, is a good actress with solid screen presence. Chris Pine was reliably likable as WWI Chris Pine, and to tell the truth his character felt like he was straight from a MCU film. This film comes the closest to feeling like it's from Marvel, but in that way feels more like a CW styled presentation in how honest it approaches the DC history. I actually liked the big fight with Aries at the end, even though it was a bit DBZ. The Amazons looked fucking great. Really no complaints whatsoever.

There is something that I can't stop thinking about. Yes, it's being nitpicky it it shouldn't be there.

Diana is told that Zeus used the last of his power to create Themyscira and then died.  Then her mom says that she prayed to Zeus for her, and that he answered her by giving life to her clay sculpture of Diana. Then we find out that Diana is actually the daughter of Zeus, and was brought to Themyscira to keep her safe. Either way, Zeus was supposed to be dead and couldn't have had a child or brought life to her clay version. Were both stories lies? If the second one is mostly true then why are they lying about when Zeus died.

This was terrific. Saying that it's the best DCEU movie is not saying a hell of a lot, but it was seriously fun. The action scenes (especially the first and the one about halfway through) were phenomenal, although the closing battle went on too long and felt bloated. Gal Gadot was excellent and turned Diana into a real character with motivations and emotions without once sacrificing her innate badassery. Chris Pine walked a delicate tightrope by making Steve Trevor not useless (seriously, comics Steve Trevor is the literal worst) while never overshadowing the title character (I was afraid of this, as some of the advertising has been very Chris Pine-centric), and you can see why Diana would see this guy as someone worth her time. Pine is the second banana in this film, and he's totally on board with that.

But the main thing is that while I can overall say I enjoyed it, I know that the theater I was in was probably showing two or three movies at the same time that would have pushed the same "fun action splodey" buttons this did for me. However, Wendee saw someone on screen who looked more like her being unrelentingly awesome, and literally shrieked with delight multiple times. That's amazing.

On 6/5/2017 at 4:45 PM, Dan said:

But the main thing is that while I can overall say I enjoyed it, I know that the theater I was in was probably showing two or three movies at the same time that would have pushed the same "fun action splodey" buttons this did for me. However, Wendee saw someone on screen who looked more like her being unrelentingly awesome, and literally shrieked with delight multiple times. That's amazing.

I'll echo that.  The two women behind me were clearly having the greatest time with the movie.

I quite enjoy that. I really want more Diana & Her Howling Commandos, with the war fighting and badassery.

One thing

What about Charlie?  They set up the 'sniper who cannot snipe' story and there was no pay off.  I figured he would snipe in the big battle, but nope.