Wonder Woman

Missy

IESB.net talked to "Serenity" and "Firefly" star Morena Baccarin about whether or not she's up for the role of director Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman. Here's a clip:

Morena keeps on being a fan favorite and says that she would love to have a chance to audition for the part. She also admits to having talked to Joss regarding the role but also states that she has never been offered the role.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder Woman Begins?

Joss Whedon discusses the shape of his next project

19 September 2005

Movie NewsJoss Whedon, he of Empire's Serenity webchat fameā€¦ oh, and that show about the girl who kills vampires, has spilled a bean or two about his hopes for his next film, which some of you will already know to be Wonder Woman.

During a conversation he had with Sci Fi Wire recently, the Whed spoke of his wishes to go right back to the origins of the character, in a similar vein to what Christopher Nolan did with Batman just a few weeks ago. "What's exciting is, like, Batman Begins basically really did a wonderful job explaining exactly why he was a bat and why he had everything on his costume that he did," he said. "That's the joy of doing an origin story of Wonder Woman. Why does she wear the bracelets? Why does she use the lasso? Like, ... where does all that stuff come from? ... And I have answers for all of that, and it's really fun."

This also, to everyone's relief, prevents it from being any kind of re-imagining - "It's not a reinvention like, 'Oh, she's going to dress like Trinity'" he said reassuringly. "I want to see Wonder Woman as I know her and see her, not ... [just] star-spangled panties. But she wears the Wonder Woman outfit, and she has the bracelets and all the accoutrements; The lasso and, if I can make it work for the plot, the invisible plane. I have a take on it that, which I think is cool. It's just I'm structuring the plot, and I've got to find a place for it. But I think people want it, and I think I can do it without ... it being campy, believe it or not. And I respect those things. I, in fact, love them."

He didn't give anything away about casting yet, but it's still very early days. The film is currently scheduled for release in the summer of 2007.

• 5 months later...

From EmpireOnline.com:

I am still writing Wonder Woman. It is very awesome but incredibly unfinished, but I should be finishing that in a little while and then Iā€™ll have a better idea of which film is actually going into production. But I can tell you that the film will be about introducing you to Wonder Woman. She'll be wearing the outfit and there will be the bracelets, the golden lasso and Greek gods. She comes from a civilisation where she's rather perfect, so she's the opposite to Buffy in many ways, but she's going through an adolescent rite of passage because she's new to the world.

How can something be "incredibly unfinished"?

Most likely he's yet to rewrite it.

What I meant was--"incredible" means something stupendous, astounding, marvelous, and so out of the ordinary that it is near implausible. So, his work is out-of-the-ordinarily unfinished? :unsure:

I just hate when people misuse the words "incredible" or "incredibly". <_<

• 2 weeks later...

From Sci-Fi again:

Wonder Script Almost Done

Writer/director Joss Whedon told SCI FI Wire that he's probably going to turn in his script for the feature-film version of Wonder Woman sometime this coming week, and added that it will feature all of the expected gadgets and costume gimmicks from the DC Comics franchise. Whedon spoke in an interview at the star-studded Los Angeles premiere of Slither, which stars Whedon's Serenity star Nathan Fillion.

"I'm probably going to turn it in in a few days," Whedon said of his Wonder Woman script. "It's coming along. ... There will be all of the expected stuff. Of course there will be the bracelets; there will be the invisible jet, the lasso, all of that."

Whedon likened the character to another one of his creations, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, adding: "It's about girls maturing, a rite of passage, that kind of thing."

Whedon said it's too early to speculate on casting for the project. He will be turning the script in to Warner Brothers and hopes to begin production later this year.

Asked about further installments of Serenity, Whedon shrugged his shoulders. ā€”Mike Szymanski

Wow, I must have missed River being one of the best strong female characters in quite some time. Not to mention the rest of the female half of the 'Firefly' cast. Not to mention his work in X-Men.

But yeah, people really didn't like that season six of Buffy, did they? Whereas others feel it's the high point of either vamp show.

Personally I think he is a bit arrogant about his unique ability to write female characters. People have hailed him as some genius and instead of talking it down, he question why everyone else can't write female characters. He must have missed Aliens, Long Kiss Goodnight, T2, Total Recall, I guess......

Don't get me wrong, I love Buffy as much as the next person, and I thought Season 6 was pretty good, but the Buffy character was not what appealed to me, it was Willow that impressed me more. Also, it was what he was doing on Angel around that time which shows that he doesn't always hit the mark with female characters.

Plus, I feel that the actors don't get enough credit for what they do with his stuff, mainly the males though in this regard. Giles, Wesley and Spike all did way more than was ever asked of their character's and honestly the last 2 seasons of Angel I only watching because of the Wesley.

PS. Anyone know what Dawn is up to, cause she is smokin!!!

Maybe I should have said strong female lead roles eh? And honest to God I do not see how anyone can like Buffy season 6, but again that's just me.

I don't have as much faith in Whedon to write a good story about a strong female anymore, and will go in very skeptical.

Yes, because of all those shows he's written where there have been strong female leads, like Angel...oh. No, like Serenity...Oh. No, wait, like Firefl...oh.

How the hell does that PROVE that he can't write strong female leads anymore? While you may not have liked season 6, a lot of people thought that it was their favourite season, primarily because of Willow...who was a strong female character.

What Whedon generally excels at is writing groups, which is my main concern about the new Wonder Woman, but to suggest that all his female characters have been so bad is just asinine.

And Max, I think that Joss' character is just to hype himself up to be funny half the time. I rarely take much of what he says in interviews seriously.

In a way your proving my point, he had 1 show where he focused entirely on female strength and completely fucked it up. You say most people like season 6 because of Willow, however Willow was not a strong female in that season, she was a junkie for most of the season and then goes on a murderous rampage. Hannigan's acting might have saved it for some people, but for me the writing was just beyond terrible to look at her acting.

The only evidence of Whedon being able to write a strong female role is the first couple of seasons of Buffy and that's it. And that was 7 years ago, so this whole idea of "Whedon is writing WW, this cannot suck" is a bit foolhardy.

I won't go into the other storylines in season 6, because one of them and I think you know which is just too disgusting to even comment on.

In a way your proving my point, he had 1 show where he focused entirely on female strength and completely fucked it up. You say most people like season 6 because of Willow, however Willow was not a strong female in that season, she was a junkie for most of the season and then goes on a murderous rampage. Hannigan's acting might have saved it for some people, but for me the writing was just beyond terrible to look at her acting.

The only evidence of Whedon being able to write a strong female role is the first couple of seasons of Buffy and that's it. And that was 7 years ago, so this whole idea of "Whedon is writing WW, this cannot suck" is a bit foolhardy.

I won't go into the other storylines in season 6, because one of them and I think you know which is just too disgusting to even comment on.

I'm new to these boards but this thread caught my eye yesterday.

I think there are two different concepts of what makes a strong female character here. Certainly Willow wasn't a strong female character in the sense that she was flawless or didnt need help, etc. She wasn't what we would think of as a Lara Croft or Wonder Woman type character.

She was, however, a strong female character in that she was fleshed out and given more depth. Some of that was Hannigan's acting ability but it was Whedon and staff's writing as well that contributed to this. Season six brought out a lot of depth to Willow's character that identified her as a lot more then just Buffy's sidekick or a lesbian.

I also think that the first couple seasons WEREN"T Joss's strongest....certainly not the first season at any rate. I think most of the first season was extremely weak but then that is natural for most series especially in the science fiction/fantasy realm as we are still seeing the writers and actors getting their feet. IMHO, the two weakest seasons...for all the characters.... were Season 1 for the reasons above...and Season 4, where the writers and actors once again must find their feet since they are no longer high school students. Sure we had a couple of great episodes like Hush but the season as a whole was rather weak and directionless.

I'm personally looking forward to Whedon's take on Wonder Woman but I hope he plays up the Greek myth aspects of WW's character

From IMDB:

Lindsay Lohan As Wonder Woman?

Herbie: Fully Loaded star Lindsay Lohan is desperate to play Wonder Woman in the forthcoming movie version of the comic book superhero. The 19-year-old Freaky Friday actress admits she'd like to showcase her talents outside of kid and teen films, but feels the role would be too fun to turn down. She says, "Wonder Woman would be cool. I'm trying to find roles right now that are different to anything I've done to show my abilities, to show that I have some sort of stretch in me. Because most of the things that I've done so far are aimed at younger girls and are light-hearted."

One one hand, I really don't think she fits the part at all, and couldn't pull it off well if her life depended on it.

On the other hand, Lindsay Lohan in a Wonder Woman costume.

I doubt she'd get it. Wonder Woman doesn't need a star at all, and Whedon will probably get his pick.

You seem to be confusing 'strong female role' with 'flawless Goddess role'. They're different things. A strong female role would be a character that has depth, like Buffy, Willow, River, etc - which Whedon has proved, repeatedly, that he can do. A junkie can be a strong female role. A person tortured by glimpses of their own mortality can be a strong female role. A women becoming what they hate, and doing things that they regret can be a strong female role.

You have distaste for what some of the characters did, but how you can deny that it was strongly written is beyond me. Especially when you prefer the weaker early seasons over the stronger later seasons.

(Incidentally, my Buffy low-points are seasons 4-5. Great single episodes, crappy seasons.)

• 10 months later...

From Whedonesque:

SATIN TIGHTS NO LONGER.

Joss will not be fighting for our rights after all.

You (hopefully) heard it here first: I'm no longer slated to make Wonder Woman. What? But how? My chest... so tight! Okay, stay calm and I'll explain as best I can. It's pretty complicated, so bear with me. I had a take on the film that, well, nobody liked. Hey, not that complicated.

Let me stress first that everybody at the studio and Silver Pictures were cool and professional. We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that's never gonna work. Non-sympatico. It happens all the time. I don't think any of us expected it to this time, but it did. Everybody knows how long I was taking, what a struggle that script was, and though I felt good about what I was coming up with, it was never gonna be a simple slam-dunk. I like to think it rolled around the rim a little bit, but others may have differing views.

The worst thing that can happen in this scenario is that the studio just keeps hammering out changes and the writer falls into a horrible limbo of development. These guys had the clarity and grace to skip that part. So I'm a free man.

Well, sorta. There is that "Goners" movie I can finally finish polishing, and plenty of other things in the hopper I've wanted to pursue. I'm as relieved as I am disappointed, and both of those things lead to drink, so that's a plus. Truly, you may be hearing some interesting things brewing in the coming months. But all potential jets therein will be visible.

But most importantly, I never have to answer THAT question again!!!! And you don't have to link to every rumor site! Finally and forever: I never had an actress picked out, or even a consistant front-runner. I didn't have time to waste on casting when I was so busy air-balling on the script. (No! Rim! There was rim!) That's the greatest relief of all. I can do interviews again!

Thanks for your time. You are the people who make the world go 'round. Or, no, science does that.

-j.

ps All right, it was Cobie Smulders. Sorry, Cobes.

:no:

At least he can concentrate on comics. His run on Runaways starts soon. Its probably the only comic that has ever been written by a person mentioned by name by the characters IN the comic (back in volume 2 when they encounter a vampire).

Plus he's writing the Buffy Season 8 comic as well. He'll find the right movie project soon, and as much as I like Joss, I'd rather have smaller project that are undiluted Whedon than have projects with a lot of outside influence, because that winds up being the original Buffy movie and that makes non-fans laugh at us when we pimp his work.

You know, I don't think this movie could be made.

Here are my reasons:

1. None of the actresses rumored to be interested in playing WW could physicaly fit the role:

Let's face it, in the comics, WW is 6'3. Every actress that gets mentioned tends to fall into the 5'0 to 5'5 range. That is just not gonna fly. Logically speaking, I don't think you can cast lower than 5'9 and convince people that this is Wonder Woman.

2. WW has arguably the worst rogues gallery around:

Obviously you can use the Greek Dieties or Nazis (if you want to be like the TV show), but then what?

Do you really think that people are going to plok down $10-20 to see WW fighting Cheetah or Giganta. Probably not.

:shakehead:

You know, I don't think this movie could be made.

Here are my reasons:

1. None of the actresses rumored to be interested in playing WW could physicaly fit the role:

Let's face it, in the comics, WW is 6'3. Every actress that gets mentioned tends to fall into the 5'0 to 5'5 range. That is just not gonna fly. Logically speaking, I don't think you can cast lower than 5'9 and convince people that this is Wonder Woman.

2. WW has arguably the worst rogues gallery around:

Obviously you can use the Greek Dieties or Nazis (if you want to be like the TV show), but then what?

Do you really think that people are going to plok down $10-20 to see WW fighting Cheetah or Giganta. Probably not.

:shakehead:

I'd like to see Giganta, it'd be a cool nod to the 50's "attack of the" movies. However, I agree that as a main villian she wouldn't work. Nazis are really only a viable foe for Hellboy now anyway.

I think you could find a 5' 9" actress right for the role. I'd be tough, but they found Brendon Routh for the uncastable Superman so it must be possible.

At least he can concentrate on comics. His run on Runaways starts soon. Its probably the only comic that has ever been written by a person mentioned by name by the characters IN the comic (back in volume 2 when they encounter a vampire).

Sadly, Joss' Runaways run is only going to be five or six issues.