Episode 42

RSS

I am really looking forward to hearing this one--not only because Sarah Jane was one of my favorite companions (and my first companion crush), but because the Sontarans remain my favorite monsters in the series...

Nothing says creepy quite like tongue-licking evil Humpty-dumpties...

I love the Time Warrior...it's the return of the "Pseudo Historical" (and really it's only the second one, a long time after "Time Meddler") which will become a lot more common over the next few years. Lynx is a great villain (Look out for the actor in human form in Pertwee's final story, and he returns again as a Sontaran very soon). And who can't love a climax to a story where Boba Fett kills a potato headed alien with a Bow and Arrow :-)

regarding the thought behind the Sontarans...The writers of the next story to feature them have said in interviews that when Bob Holmes commisioned them to write it (he was script editor by then) he had a whole backstory in his mind about them, even down to how they have sex and reproduce :D

I like the new titles, but as you say, they really perfect the SlitScan effect for the next series. The main problem is using a full size photo of Pertwee. I don't think the photo is too bad (the face is fine), but using his full body looks wierd (and i always think he looks a bit short, as though his legs aren't as long as they should be).

Invasion of the Dinosaurs is not a great story, but isn't too bad, but the dinosaur models....oh my god! I actually love the fact that Mike Yates is involved, and the way they link it in to his being brainwashed in "The Green Death".

And Pertwee's Whomobile is just so strange (it was his own car too...he paid a guy to build it for him). Bessie does come back though, we only see the Whomobile one more time.

• 1 year later...

Just listened to this episode again (yes, I went back to the start a few weeks ago and enjoying the podcasts a second time) and decided to look at the dinosaur model work on youtube. Nothing can prepare you for the shear scale of ineptitude in the dinosaur work. Special effects that are not special and hardly even qualify as effects. It would need to be a real brilliant episode to lift itself above this effect work. Just a shame they didn't make the dinosaurs invisable.

I really think Dan and Mike did not really emphasise enough just how poor these effects are. They have to be seen to be believed. A 5 year old kid in his backyard could have done better.

• 2 years later...

Listening to this 'cast, I remembered again how much I enjoyed Time Warrior. I met Jeremy Bulloch a few years ago at a Star Wars event, and we ended up talking, just the two of us in a corner, for over an hour about his various roles on Doctor Who, and how much he enjoyed doing the audio book for this story. I pulled the DVD out and watched it again, and it still holds up for me.

Then I thought Invasion couldn't really be that bad, right? Sure I have the DVD, but there are quite a few I haven't had a chance to watch yet. I'll just pop it in and see. I'm usually more forgiving of the older Doctor Who stories, knowing how little they had to work with.

Big sigh. Everything I want to say about the sheer ineptitude of the people making this story is full of expletives. Without exception, every person involved in this story phoned it in. Yes. It really IS as bad as you've said.

Big sigh. Everything I want to say about the sheer ineptitude of the people making this story is full of expletives. Without exception, every person involved in this story phoned it in. Yes. It really IS as bad as you've said.

Vindicated!

Now that I think of it, and it's been a loooooong time, but I seem to remember Mike not totally hating Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Am I misremembering?