• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He was way too obvious from day one. Given how smart Konietzko and DiMartino handled the villains last season, there's no way Unalaq can turn out to be the ultimate evil like that; he's probably just misguided—or perhaps entirely correct and just a dick about it.

But still, yes, Korra is entirely too trusting. I have to wonder what's going to happen considering the end of the third episode.

Also, I'd like to actually have a main clear-cut conflict in this season; it seems like every episode thus far has been the setup for... something. Civil war? Spirit war? Last season, Korra had a goal by the end of the third episode: take down Amon. This time she's in a very shaky place and we still don't know what's going on entirely.

• 3 weeks later...

I let four episodes build up and I'm watching them all now. Nucktuq: Hero of the South plus Lemur training made my day. This really is an awesome show.

Holy Schnazz, Beginnings was awesome and it's opened up a lot of stuff about what Unalaq might be up to. There is so much to this Avatar deal that's only just become clear.

Theory-

I think we might be looking at a Dark Avatar situation, with Unalaq trying to free the evil spirit so he can become one with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been all for a futuristic Avatar series for a long time.

I'm kind of unsure how I feel about the finale to Book 2, just because of the changes it made. Removing the previous avatars and undoing the barrier between worlds basically says "the avatar was a flawed concept to begin with." But we've never really had any indication of that before. On the contrary, in the Avatar Wan two-parter, we saw that a world with both humans and spirits was horribly violent and chaotic, hence why Wan separated them in the first place. It seems like Korra took a stand against everything we've known to be true over the entire run of both series, and she did it very suddenly in the final episode. Avatar Aang delivering a rushed finale in Book 1 was one thing, but overturning the entire universe without warning in Book 2 is another.

It's not that they can't do good things with the universe going forward, but I question whether it's an overall good idea. I almost hope that Book 3 is focused on Korra having to undo her mistake and restore everything the way it was.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...