The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Not to sound uncaring, but it was the sister comic to the more successful Beano which is only 6 months younger. I always saw the Dandy as the Beano's backup redundancy. They're basically the same thing, same archetypes, same humour. I mean, it sucks that the run is over but even as a kid I found sci-fi action-oriented stuff far more to my liking, I can't remember anyone reading the Dandy.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, but then I think the Beano had a btter circulation. I could easily buy a weekly copy of the Beano, whereas the Dandy was only in more select newsagents. The Beano also had better strips overall, so I'm not exactly going to miss the Dandy. That being said, the Beano is pretty much £1 more expensive than it was when I was buying it back in the day.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Beano's circulation is 38,000 so it's in no real danger at the moment. The Dandy was my first comic as a kid. My older brother got the Beano but eventually everyone gave up the pretense and acknowledged that they were both actually for me. That said, I think they both informed my sense of humour quite a bit, especially strips like Cuddles and Dimples, which featured two anarchic toddlers and never did anything to suggest that they were anything other than completely evil.

In the last couple of years it relaunched itself as a full on comic after an attempt at being a fortnightly mix of comic and entertainment magazine. It was headed by Jamie Smart who created the utterly brilliant Bear and just set out to be as fun as possible.

I don't know, I guess I feel like Principal Skinner finding the broken down remnants of the 4H club "Am I so out of touch? No... no, it's the children who are wrong."

Further to the poster above for Pirates of Pangea, this is the cover for its debut issue:

A0vHGD3CUAA1Zz4.jpg

I was already intrigued enough but there's so much to love about this cover, from the Pirate ship riding on the back of a ghost dinosaur(!) to the way the main character is presented front and centre. Apprehensive, a little cautious but curious and ready to jump in. When you consider that whatever she's looking at clearly scares and intrigues her more than the ship behind her, you do wonder what it is and how fantastic it must be.

I'm clearly going to steal these from my godson when I next visit him.

Same here.

He has every right to be upset with the way DC treated him, and if he wants to air that business, that's his decision. But now he's taking petty shots at a lot of people, and that's crossing a line. So I stopped following him on Twitter. I just don't care to read his insanity anymore.

And he's going after Scott Snyder so hard, it's nuts. It's like watching a slo-mo train wreck.

What's he saying about Snyder?

Edit: Got the gist. He's saying Batman sells because it's Batman, and not because of who's writing the book. Liefeld is having a meltdown, or is just the biggest prick in comics who has twitter.

Here's some DM's he's posted between himself, and Scott Snyder on Twitter:

644336823.jpg?key=12161632&Expires=1345920286&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=xHC8BxHQYeYjFA2feWvXKOsXSsRUk0ZeXcss01x0s7-ajtNftAhYwmWdhkYItGHiI5np0wf~hcsCr1-UIeVwM1PFJ--2UHNNDy9ig1~QUhsRmP-IdnVECybHbtA5PWwZmZ9PKRHliQgvWY7z7gxyMNyrHe-Sr2eqD7WSBk239uo_

644336128.jpg?key=12161632&Expires=1345920250&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=Rxn299qtFwkC~dnk50Vxap0NavITo3RbJBwz279NWcfzygwRxlh5yJra88BkbCXmr1xBz3aOkuJ7uak0IhtcOaKrQxF0WQTKiOZ3F5HsSVOojK8B3jGM3Qpn4~eoLsnnkCOLukPoAhPvI7s3RQxADL9uXZ2iElHs5coHU7baA7Y_

Liefeld is right: Batman comics sell well because they star Batman. However, Snyder is also correct: the creative teams make a difference in those sales.

Either way, this is the moment Liefeld haters have been waiting for for years. Now they have a legitimate reason to rag on him, besides his art.

And you know what, I imagine this bridge-burning / outburst will only hurt him in Hollywood. Just this past week it was announced that Bloodstrike had been optioned. Seeing these tweets and his inability to stay profesional, no Hollywood producer will want to touch anything associated with the man.